Debuts

Barney

Regardless of if they faded afterwards in their NUFC careers, which players debuts stood out for the right reasons?

Alternatively, which players first game was a shocker when you expected better.

I'll start with two positive ones; Jonas away at Old Trafford and Emre at SJP. I think it was either a friendly or Intertoto opposition.

That's a good call. Forgot about that Palermo match.

Not sure if Smiths goal was his debut. I think it was our last pre-season match that year.

Checked

He scored the winning goal on his debut for the Magpies, in a 1–0 friendly victory against

)

:)

That's a good call. Forgot about that Palermo match.

Not sure if Smiths goal was his debut. I think it was our last pre-season match that year.

Checked

He scored the winning goal on his debut for the Magpies, in a 1–0 friendly victory against

)

:)

I was there. Nodded in from a corner.

He's done fuck all since.

Didn't John Dahl Tomasson do alright in his pre-season debut? Shame he never really got much of a chance here afterwards though, was a cracking player on the continent.

... oh, Barney beat me to it.

Edited by Armchair Pundit

Think Mickey Quinn scored 4 on his debut.

All while sporting a wonderful handlebar moustache that I could only dream of.

Yeah I was going to say that too. John Gallagher looked mint in the same game.

And around a similar time, Paul Stephenson certainly looked good in his first few games although I can't actually remember his specific debut.

Alex Mathie had a class debut too.

Didn't Coloccini make his debut on that same game as Jonas and play awful?

My memory has Coloccini starting off pretty well. Looking a little slow.. his worst games came from the middle of the season to the end when his confidence and the teams was affected by the circus in town.

Super Sib scored on debut for us in the Uefa Cup, despite his signing being widely considered a piss-take.

That signing was a truly depressing moment. Even though he turned out to be not THAT bad, it still bothers me to this day.