IF QPR manage to do to Man City what they did to Chelsea

IF either the Mackems or Swansea can take a point off Man U

IF we can beat Man City

We'll go top of the league.

:lol:

**touch wood**

Now get your hands off my wood!

Aye, I take your point but 'incredible' is overstating it a bit imo, HF. I'd also question how likely it is (I'll leave the stats / probability up to you ;) ) that you can be lucky so often. I.e. is it really luck or is it down to having the better forward(s) etc. to stick it in the onion bag? Anyway, I'm happy getting (by my standards) a bit carried away. Just because it's cold in January, it doesn't mean you can't enjoy a nice day in October. Or something.

Think a few key things have gone our way, things as supporters who have been up against it in recent seasons we've been naturally wary to embrace too quickly.

Collo, Guti, Cabaye and Tiote are genuine class and the first two have really come good.

Looking at those players from the outside I imagine many covetous eyes are currently looking our way. Krul is a much better keeper than any of dreamt he might be a couple of years ago and I think he will be a permanent fix in the Dutch side over the next 2/3 years. He is a natural shot stopper and much better around his zone of influence than Given.

Out of nowhere Saylor is becoming more consistant (with the odd rick which he will always have).

First Best (a championship striker in all but name) scoring key goals and now Ba (who looks like a decent finisher but also has displayed intelligence) looking like defences are going to have to take him really seriously.

Things have gelled and it happens like this in football sometimes (could it be cause Pards has stuck to more or less the same side?).

Many of us really underrated Pards inc me. It might be that it just is (again luckily) just the right set of circumstances and a club like ours that has fired him up and is bringing out the best in him.

For now it's an adventure and we just have to 'go with it'...

Yeah, nicely summed up. I'd add that with Best, whilst I still don't rate him he's a pain in arse for the opposition because of his work rate and the way he puts himself about. His performance was a crucial factor last night. I can't fault him for effort.

His 'cross' for the second was perfect.

Messi/Ronaldinho do that, look one way and pass another. People love them for it. Cabaye tried one later, but wasn't up to the Best standard.

Edited by Happy Face

His 'cross' for the second was perfect.

Messi does that, looks one way and passes another. People love him for it. Cabaye tried one later, but wasn't up to the Best standard.

IF we beat Everton.

IF QPR manage to do to Man City what they did to Chelsea

IF either the Mackems or Swansea can take a point off Man U

IF we can beat Man City

We'll go top of the league.

**touch wood**

Now get your hands off my wood!

Forgot to add...we'd need to score 20 without conceding too ;)

Their best player and I honestly believe, he is THE best player Everton could ever sign, their best player in terms of ability since Rooney, is Royston Drenthe. We should move heaven and earth to sign him, I'm not worried about anyone else in their team. People go on about Rodwell, he's destined to become a Jermaine Jenas in my view, the fact England persevere with Barry and Parker tells you a lot, I think he's good cover in midfield for the back four, but he's not an attacking threat. Keep Drenthe quiet and I think we'll win. We just have to guard against cockiness, the crowd were pretty cocky against Wigan, the Lads kiosk before the game I saw people putting 5-0, 6-0. As long as we play our game of course we'll win but 1-0 would do, and if it's 0-0 with 20 minutes to go the crowd need to stay patient again (as most of us did against Wigan) and it will come.

Mentioned before we should have a sniff around Drenthe, especially as he's out of contract and available on a free, i.e. the type of player we've looked to sign recently.

I fancy us to nick a tight game 2-1. Everton certainly wont be coming for the draw and will push on I think to get the 3 points and this is definitely a potential banana skin fixture. But, as confidence is high I dont see us losing this game, maybe a draw will suffice for me, they do have quality in their team but if we can nick an early goal (first 10-15mins) I can see us going on from there.

Great thing about monday showed how we have different ways to win matches. It showed Stoke have Plan A and that is the 'bombardment' plan. After that fails they are screwed. We can pass the ball and keep possession and wait for openings or we can get in their faces, pressure them into mistakes and hit them on the counter. The other pleasing thing for me on monday was how solid and brave we were from their throws. Even Krul and Raylor were throwing themselves into the long balls when I would usually have expected them to maybe shy away and try and let the likes of Saylor, Ba and Best deal with them.

Can Drenthe play on the right or would we use him as an offensive left back?

Jonas is undroppable at the moment and as good as Drenthe is, I can't see him grafting the way Jonas does.

That's not to say I wouldn't have him here in a Gemmilbeat mind.

Jonas is undroppable at the moment and as good as Drenthe is, I can't see him grafting the way Jonas does.

I'd sign him on the basis he could play anywhere down the left. Great cover and would maybe start at LB. Perhaps he's better as a LW / LM but with the way Jonas helps out the full-back it wouldn't be a problem and they could interchange. Not sure if he's played wide right although playing 'wrong-footed' players on the wings is all the rage now.

I'd sign him on the basis he could play anywhere down the left. Great cover and would maybe start at LB. Perhaps he's better as a LW / LM but with the way Jonas helps out the full-back it wouldn't be a problem and they could interchange. Not sure if he's played wide right although playing 'wrong-footed' players on the wings is all the rage now.

That was my way of thinking - like how Obertan was making runs on the left against Forest (and putting in that cross with the outside of his right foot). Arjen Robben has made a career out of cutting in on his stronger foot every single time he gets the ball and modelling his hairstyle on Shearer.

Drenthe at LB and Jonas at LM sounds tasty.

Started his career in LM but is equally adept at LB or CM iirc. Ajax youth product knows how a football works.

Their best player and I honestly believe, he is THE best player Everton could ever sign, their best player in terms of ability since Rooney, is Royston Drenthe. We should move heaven and earth to sign him, I'm not worried about anyone else in their team. People go on about Rodwell, he's destined to become a Jermaine Jenas in my view, the fact England persevere with Barry and Parker tells you a lot, I think he's good cover in midfield for the back four, but he's not an attacking threat. Keep Drenthe quiet and I think we'll win. We just have to guard against cockiness, the crowd were pretty cocky against Wigan, the Lads kiosk before the game I saw people putting 5-0, 6-0. As long as we play our game of course we'll win but 1-0 would do, and if it's 0-0 with 20 minutes to go the crowd need to stay patient again (as most of us did against Wigan) and it will come.

I agree in part with what you are saying about Drenthe... From the moment he 1st set foot on the pitch for us I could see his ability (even though most of our fans didn't agree).

The thing with him is though that he's the kind of player who will give the ball away a lot trying daft things... but then one of them will come off and you'll score a great goal. However there will be times when he gifts the opposition a goal so he's got a lot of growing to do as a player I think before he can be seen as a class act. He needs to know when to keep it simple and when to try the fancy stuff.

he also doesn't track back at all and could be viewed as a luxury player. For this reason I worry Moyes wont use him every game and will worry about having a bit of a live wire out there who might mess up his carefully crafted dour tactics of hoping to knick a 1-0 win... I hope I'm wrong as he's exactly the kind of player we need out there... VERY quick, very skillful, creative and scores goals.

My hope is that after not settling at Real Madrid and going on loan to a club which failed to pay his wages for a year that he'll settle at Everton and feel "at home" as many others have before (Arteta, Howard, Cahill etc). He'll be a free transfer and so if he plays well the vultures will really be circling for him so I wouldn't be surprised to see him at another club next season. If he is it wont be Newcastle, it'll be someone like Chelsea or Arsenal. Not offence to the Toon, thats just the way it is.

Rodwell - Jenas comparison has been made a lot by our fans... tbh he's had a bad 2 seasons due to injuries, not getting a run in the team and also lacking in confidence. Now Arteta has left he's really stepped up to the plate and has performed really well. I still think he's a season of playing every game away from being seen as anything other than just "promising" but I do think he'll be a much better player than Jenas. He's definately not ready for England but in a few years I really do think he'll be in the team.

That was my way of thinking - like how Obertan was making runs on the left against Forest (and putting in that cross with the outside of his right foot). Arjen Robben has made a career out of cutting in on his stronger foot every single time he gets the ball and modelling his hairstyle on Shearer.

Drenthe at LB and Jonas at LM sounds tasty.

Dont mean this as an insult but its a classic example of someone making a comment without having seen a player play.

Drenthe is no left back! Yeah he might have played there before but he's bloody useless at tracking back, tackling and general all round defensive play.

LW, or RW are really the only places you could play him... especially in the premier league

I agree in part with what you are saying about Drenthe... From the moment he 1st set foot on the pitch for us I could see his ability (even though most of our fans didn't agree).

The thing with him is though that he's the kind of player who will give the ball away a lot trying daft things... but then one of them will come off and you'll score a great goal. However there will be times when he gifts the opposition a goal so he's got a lot of growing to do as a player I think before he can be seen as a class act. He needs to know when to keep it simple and when to try the fancy stuff.

he also doesn't track back at all and could be viewed as a luxury player. For this reason I worry Moyes wont use him every game and will worry about having a bit of a live wire out there who might mess up his carefully crafted dour tactics of hoping to knick a 1-0 win... I hope I'm wrong as he's exactly the kind of player we need out there... VERY quick, very skillful, creative and scores goals.

My hope is that after not settling at Real Madrid and going on loan to a club which failed to pay his wages for a year that he'll settle at Everton and feel "at home" as many others have before (Arteta, Howard, Cahill etc). He'll be a free transfer and so if he plays well the vultures will really be circling for him so I wouldn't be surprised to see him at another club next season. If he is it wont be Newcastle, it'll be someone like Chelsea or Arsenal. Not offence to the Toon, thats just the way it is.

Rodwell - Jenas comparison has been made a lot by our fans... tbh he's had a bad 2 seasons due to injuries, not getting a run in the team and also lacking in confidence. Now Arteta has left he's really stepped up to the plate and has performed really well. I still think he's a season of playing every game away from being seen as anything other than just "promising" but I do think he'll be a much better player than Jenas. He's definately not ready for England but in a few years I really do think he'll be in the team.

He's not really a Chelsea type player, and if and it's the biggest if ever, if we come above Arsenal he may well choose to play for us. We have a good few players who would get in Arsenal's team make no mistake about it, I think Santon would and he can't even get a game. The gap between us and Arsenal is as close as it's been for about 8 years. He's clearly moved to Everton to put himself in the shop window, and I would love it if we could get him here next summer, maybe get Krul to have a word.

He's not really a Chelsea type player, and if and it's the biggest if ever, if we come above Arsenal he may well choose to play for us. We have a good few players who would get in Arsenal's team make no mistake about it, I think Santon would and he can't even get a game. The gap between us and Arsenal is as close as it's been for about 8 years. He's clearly moved to Everton to put himself in the shop window, and I would love it if we could get him here next summer, maybe get Krul to have a word.

Chelsea signed Matta and are crying out for youth and pace... I'd say he was exactly the type of player Chelsea need, and he is a AVB type of player judging by his attacking philosophy. Make no mistake that if AVB can make a go of the job at Chelsea we'll see a much different team to that of Mourinho and Ancelotti.

The gap between you and Arsenal is as close as it ever was but I find it hard to believe many players would choose you over Arsenal and I dont think you'll finish above them. I'm not being arsey saying that, I dont think any player would choose Everton over Arsenal either.

If Drenthe has a great season he'll be courted by much bigger fish than either the Toon or Everton. If not I think he;d be more likely to stay where he's settled until a big fish comes knocking for him.

Obviously if you finish in the top 4 things might be different, so I'd conceed then that he might look at a move to you favourably... but the chances of that are less than they are more, and 6th - 7th would be more likely. If we do our usual trick of having a strong 2nd half to the season and finish roughly 10th I'm not sure you'd be a big enough pull for him.

Edited by ajax_andy