Newcastle United vs Everton match thread

Monroe Transfer

Their best player and I honestly believe, he is THE best player Everton could ever sign, their best player in terms of ability since Rooney, is Royston Drenthe. We should move heaven and earth to sign him, I'm not worried about anyone else in their team. People go on about Rodwell, he's destined to become a Jermaine Jenas in my view, the fact England persevere with Barry and Parker tells you a lot, I think he's good cover in midfield for the back four, but he's not an attacking threat. Keep Drenthe quiet and I think we'll win. We just have to guard against cockiness, the crowd were pretty cocky against Wigan, the Lads kiosk before the game I saw people putting 5-0, 6-0. As long as we play our game of course we'll win but 1-0 would do, and if it's 0-0 with 20 minutes to go the crowd need to stay patient again (as most of us did against Wigan) and it will come.

I agree in part with what you are saying about Drenthe... From the moment he 1st set foot on the pitch for us I could see his ability (even though most of our fans didn't agree).

The thing with him is though that he's the kind of player who will give the ball away a lot trying daft things... but then one of them will come off and you'll score a great goal. However there will be times when he gifts the opposition a goal so he's got a lot of growing to do as a player I think before he can be seen as a class act. He needs to know when to keep it simple and when to try the fancy stuff.

he also doesn't track back at all and could be viewed as a luxury player. For this reason I worry Moyes wont use him every game and will worry about having a bit of a live wire out there who might mess up his carefully crafted dour tactics of hoping to knick a 1-0 win... I hope I'm wrong as he's exactly the kind of player we need out there... VERY quick, very skillful, creative and scores goals.

My hope is that after not settling at Real Madrid and going on loan to a club which failed to pay his wages for a year that he'll settle at Everton and feel "at home" as many others have before (Arteta, Howard, Cahill etc). He'll be a free transfer and so if he plays well the vultures will really be circling for him so I wouldn't be surprised to see him at another club next season. If he is it wont be Newcastle, it'll be someone like Chelsea or Arsenal. Not offence to the Toon, thats just the way it is.

Rodwell - Jenas comparison has been made a lot by our fans... tbh he's had a bad 2 seasons due to injuries, not getting a run in the team and also lacking in confidence. Now Arteta has left he's really stepped up to the plate and has performed really well. I still think he's a season of playing every game away from being seen as anything other than just "promising" but I do think he'll be a much better player than Jenas. He's definately not ready for England but in a few years I really do think he'll be in the team.

He's not really a Chelsea type player, and if and it's the biggest if ever, if we come above Arsenal he may well choose to play for us. We have a good few players who would get in Arsenal's team make no mistake about it, I think Santon would and he can't even get a game. The gap between us and Arsenal is as close as it's been for about 8 years. He's clearly moved to Everton to put himself in the shop window, and I would love it if we could get him here next summer, maybe get Krul to have a word.

Chelsea signed Matta and are crying out for youth and pace... I'd say he was exactly the type of player Chelsea need, and he is a AVB type of player judging by his attacking philosophy. Make no mistake that if AVB can make a go of the job at Chelsea we'll see a much different team to that of Mourinho and Ancelotti.

The gap between you and Arsenal is as close as it ever was but I find it hard to believe many players would choose you over Arsenal and I dont think you'll finish above them. I'm not being arsey saying that, I dont think any player would choose Everton over Arsenal either.

If Drenthe has a great season he'll be courted by much bigger fish than either the Toon or Everton. If not I think he;d be more likely to stay where he's settled until a big fish comes knocking for him.

Obviously if you finish in the top 4 things might be different, so I'd conceed then that he might look at a move to you favourably... but the chances of that are less than they are more, and 6th - 7th would be more likely. If we do our usual trick of having a strong 2nd half to the season and finish roughly 10th I'm not sure you'd be a big enough pull for him.

Hardly seeing as though we were above them in both 2002 and 2003 with eight games to go, and were well above them from 93 to about 97. I believe if we were in Europe and Arsenal weren't people would choose us over them, or in a dream scenario CL and they aren't. In the past people have chosen us over Arsenal, but they are a bigger club than we are without a doubt, I always put them second behind Man Utd, but on the pitch it's not a good time for them right now.

As for Drenthe being courted by bigger fish than the toon if he has a good season? Well Arsenal possibly, I can't see it from Chelsea or Man Utd, and who else is there then? He'll be too cheap for money bags Man City, then who else is there? No one in this country, and he's always wanted a career in English football.

Edited by McFaul

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their best player and I honestly believe, he is THE best player Everton could ever sign, their best player in terms of ability since Rooney, is Royston Drenthe. We should move heaven and earth to sign him, I'm not worried about anyone else in their team. People go on about Rodwell, he's destined to become a Jermaine Jenas in my view, the fact England persevere with Barry and Parker tells you a lot, I think he's good cover in midfield for the back four, but he's not an attacking threat. Keep Drenthe quiet and I think we'll win. We just have to guard against cockiness, the crowd were pretty cocky against Wigan, the Lads kiosk before the game I saw people putting 5-0, 6-0. As long as we play our game of course we'll win but 1-0 would do, and if it's 0-0 with 20 minutes to go the crowd need to stay patient again (as most of us did against Wigan) and it will come.

I agree in part with what you are saying about Drenthe... From the moment he 1st set foot on the pitch for us I could see his ability (even though most of our fans didn't agree).

The thing with him is though that he's the kind of player who will give the ball away a lot trying daft things... but then one of them will come off and you'll score a great goal. However there will be times when he gifts the opposition a goal so he's got a lot of growing to do as a player I think before he can be seen as a class act. He needs to know when to keep it simple and when to try the fancy stuff.

he also doesn't track back at all and could be viewed as a luxury player. For this reason I worry Moyes wont use him every game and will worry about having a bit of a live wire out there who might mess up his carefully crafted dour tactics of hoping to knick a 1-0 win... I hope I'm wrong as he's exactly the kind of player we need out there... VERY quick, very skillful, creative and scores goals.

My hope is that after not settling at Real Madrid and going on loan to a club which failed to pay his wages for a year that he'll settle at Everton and feel "at home" as many others have before (Arteta, Howard, Cahill etc). He'll be a free transfer and so if he plays well the vultures will really be circling for him so I wouldn't be surprised to see him at another club next season. If he is it wont be Newcastle, it'll be someone like Chelsea or Arsenal. Not offence to the Toon, thats just the way it is.

Rodwell - Jenas comparison has been made a lot by our fans... tbh he's had a bad 2 seasons due to injuries, not getting a run in the team and also lacking in confidence. Now Arteta has left he's really stepped up to the plate and has performed really well. I still think he's a season of playing every game away from being seen as anything other than just "promising" but I do think he'll be a much better player than Jenas. He's definately not ready for England but in a few years I really do think he'll be in the team.

He's not really a Chelsea type player, and if and it's the biggest if ever, if we come above Arsenal he may well choose to play for us. We have a good few players who would get in Arsenal's team make no mistake about it, I think Santon would and he can't even get a game. The gap between us and Arsenal is as close as it's been for about 8 years. He's clearly moved to Everton to put himself in the shop window, and I would love it if we could get him here next summer, maybe get Krul to have a word.

Chelsea signed Matta and are crying out for youth and pace... I'd say he was exactly the type of player Chelsea need, and he is a AVB type of player judging by his attacking philosophy. Make no mistake that if AVB can make a go of the job at Chelsea we'll see a much different team to that of Mourinho and Ancelotti.

The gap between you and Arsenal is as close as it ever was but I find it hard to believe many players would choose you over Arsenal and I dont think you'll finish above them. I'm not being arsey saying that, I dont think any player would choose Everton over Arsenal either.

If Drenthe has a great season he'll be courted by much bigger fish than either the Toon or Everton. If not I think he;d be more likely to stay where he's settled until a big fish comes knocking for him.

Obviously if you finish in the top 4 things might be different, so I'd conceed then that he might look at a move to you favourably... but the chances of that are less than they are more, and 6th - 7th would be more likely. If we do our usual trick of having a strong 2nd half to the season and finish roughly 10th I'm not sure you'd be a big enough pull for him.

Hardly seeing as though we were above them in both 2002 and 2003 with eight games to go, and were well above them from 93 to about 97. I believe if we were in Europe and Arsenal weren't people would choose us over them, or in a dream scenario CL and they aren't. In the past people have chosen us over Arsenal, but they are a bigger club than we are without a doubt, I always put them second behind Man Utd, but on the pitch it's not a good time for them right now.

As for Drenthe being courted by bigger fish than the toon if he has a good season? Well Arsenal possibly, I can't see it from Chelsea or Man Utd, and who else is there then? He'll be too cheap for money bags Man City, then who else is there? No one in this country, and he's always wanted a career in English football.

Arsenal may not have won much recently but their stature and reputation is way above Newcastle's since the birth of the premier league... Bergkamp, Henry, Van Persie, Arsene Wenger, The Emirates... It's all added to their profile and reputation. It doesn't matter if you finished above them 93-97 and 2002 their profile is massive. I'd expect that and the fact they are based in London as 2 reasons why they would choose them over you, even if you were in europe and they weren't. I'd also expect the same with Everton, so I'm not being rude about Newcastle here, just seeing things more / less black and white than you ;)

Anyway Arsenal WILL finish in Europe this season and despite a crap start they are on an excellent run just now so its a mute point.

Why not Chelsea or Man U, or even Man City? Just because he'd be free? Seriously mate if he has a blinder of a season then teams WILL be queing up to buy him... all teams want world class players, and if he proves to be this and sets the league alight then everyone will want him. Man City signed Hargreaves so if they think they're good enough they'll sign them regardless of being free or £100m... if they want the player they'll get him.

Then there's teams from abroad, so as you can see many options potentially for him.

If you finish 4th would he consider you? Quite possibly... will you finish 4th? It's not likely, it's possible but more likely the usual suspects will take the top 5 or 6 places.

Is Cahill out for Everton as well? Or just Drenthe and Jackie Brown?

Cahill probably out, tbh i hope he is as we are much more effective when he's not playing.

Drenthe back... will Moyes start him though after being clearly disgusted with him getting sent off against Chelsea... also we played well without him Vs Man U so might keep the same team

Fellaini is suspended

Arsenal may not have won much recently but their stature and reputation is way above Newcastle's since the birth of the premier league... Bergkamp, Henry, Van Persie, Arsene Wenger, The Emirates... It's all added to their profile and reputation. It doesn't matter if you finished above them 93-97 and 2002 their profile is massive. I'd expect that and the fact they are based in London as 2 reasons why they would choose them over you, even if you were in europe and they weren't. I'd also expect the same with Everton, so I'm not being rude about Newcastle here, just seeing things more / less black and white than you ;)

Anyway Arsenal WILL finish in Europe this season and despite a crap start they are on an excellent run just now so its a mute point.

Why not Chelsea or Man U, or even Man City? Just because he'd be free? Seriously mate if he has a blinder of a season then teams WILL be queing up to buy him... all teams want world class players, and if he proves to be this and sets the league alight then everyone will want him. Man City signed Hargreaves so if they think they're good enough they'll sign them regardless of being free or £100m... if they want the player they'll get him.

Then there's teams from abroad, so as you can see many options potentially for him.

If you finish 4th would he consider you? Quite possibly... will you finish 4th? It's not likely, it's possible but more likely the usual suspects will take the top 5 or 6 places.

The stature of Arsenal is much bigger than ours obviously since 1998 they've become the second club of England in my view, but theyre a pale shadow of what they were. They are a global London club same as Chelsea, but we'll see what sort of season Drenthe has first. We don't pay wages over £50,000 now anyway, so maybe if Everton get taken over they'll put £80,000 in front of him and he'll sign a long term deal with you for the money.

As for where we'll finish 7th would be good, but I don't think surpassing Liverpool is an impossibilty by any means this season.

Aye Liverpool supporters will wake up soon and realise the King Kenny revolution isn't all it was cracked up to be... classic mistake of bringing back a messiah figure thinking it'll somehow work when usually it doesn't.

I think Arsenal will surprise a few people personally... They aren't the team they were admitedly but I still think they'll finish top 3 or 4.

Haha Everton get taken over?! Will never happen... I know there's lots of rumours at the moment, but even if we did I'd imagine it'd be a Venkys rather than a Sheik Monsour knowing our luck!!! :icon_lol:

I do like the idea of a Newcastle fan accusing a player of joining Everton for the money... that's some serious alternative dimension shit right there

Well we're paying Ba £70k aren't we? ;)

P.S. When's this footy happening Andy? :D

Haha forgot all about that mate sorry! I'm struggling with an ankle injury at the moment so limiting myself to one game a week so think we'll have to knock the idea on the head... my body just can't handle footy like it used to :(

Aye Liverpool supporters will wake up soon and realise the King Kenny revolution isn't all it was cracked up to be... classic mistake of bringing back a messiah figure thinking it'll somehow work when usually it doesn't.

I think Arsenal will surprise a few people personally... They aren't the team they were admitedly but I still think they'll finish top 3 or 4.

Haha Everton get taken over?! Will never happen... I know there's lots of rumours at the moment, but even if we did I'd imagine it'd be a Venkys rather than a Sheik Monsour knowing our luck!!! :icon_lol:

I do like the idea of a Newcastle fan accusing a player of joining Everton for the money... that's some serious alternative dimension shit right there

You suggesting Ba is on 70k a week here and turned you down purely for is like an alternative dimension within an alternative dimension in all fairness.

To be honest though as I said in the summer, I can't fathom one reason, like not one logically, why a player would choose Everton over us for anything other than financial gain. The only that ever did was Baines and that's because he was a fan of the club.

Edited by McFaul

You suggesting Ba is on 70k a week here and turned you down purely for is like an alternative dimension within an alternative dimension in all fairness.

haha fair point!

Lawro is a cunt:

Newcastle v Everton (1245 GMT)

Newcastle just keep on going, and they passed a real test of their aerial defensive capabilities by beating Stoke on Monday. I was really impressed by how hard their midfield worked too, let alone their defenders.

But the Magpies' great start to the season has just built up the pressure. They will be expected to beat Everton but cast your mind back to when they played Wigan at St James' Park on 22 October. Everyone expected them to run the Latics over, but in the end Roberto Martinez's side were unlucky not to get a point.

The Toffees have not had great results of late but have played better than a run of five defeats in six games suggests, and I am backing them to sneak a win here because I think the big problem for Newcastle boss Alan Pardew is stopping his team from thinking they just need to turn up to get the three points.

Football has a nasty habit of biting you on the backside just when you think you have cracked it, so Pardew and his players have to be careful. But, even if they are beaten on Saturday, it has been an exceptional start to the season and they are in a fantastic position ahead of their games with Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea later this month.

Prediction: 1-2

I think we'd be 18th if his predictions had come true.

Lawro is a cunt:

Newcastle v Everton (1245 GMT)

Newcastle just keep on going, and they passed a real test of their aerial defensive capabilities by beating Stoke on Monday. I was really impressed by how hard their midfield worked too, let alone their defenders.

But the Magpies' great start to the season has just built up the pressure. They will be expected to beat Everton but cast your mind back to when they played Wigan at St James' Park on 22 October. Everyone expected them to run the Latics over, but in the end Roberto Martinez's side were unlucky not to get a point.

The Toffees have not had great results of late but have played better than a run of five defeats in six games suggests, and I am backing them to sneak a win here because I think the big problem for Newcastle boss Alan Pardew is stopping his team from thinking they just need to turn up to get the three points.

Football has a nasty habit of biting you on the backside just when you think you have cracked it, so Pardew and his players have to be careful. But, even if they are beaten on Saturday, it has been an exceptional start to the season and they are in a fantastic position ahead of their games with Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea later this month.

Prediction: 1-2

I think we'd be 18th if his predictions had come true.

We couldn't have hoped for a better prediction. Last thing we needed as lawro to jinx us by predicting a win. He always gets it wrong

I can't see anyone underestimating Everton so I think this is the perfect game after Monday. I think we'll be confident as we should be but I think this will be a positive thing and help us sneak a tight win in a close game.

Edited by David Kelly

I can't see anyone underestimating Everton so I think this is the perfect game after Monday. I think we'll be confident as we should be but I think this will be a positive thing and help us sneak a tight win in a close game.

Spot on.

Although with that said, after the Wigan debacle I don't think we'll be complacent again no matter how good or bad the opposition are supposed to be.

Not sure how that game against Wigan is remotely relevant. We're a completely different side in terms of the manager, the coaches, the way we play and, most importantly, the players. And we're playing Everton, not Wigan. Apart from that though....

I think Everton'll be a tough side to beat though but on form a 1-2 to them seems like more sour grapes from him.

With their players returning from injury and ours dropping, I'll go for a draw.

Though it'll be interesting to see how well the new season ticket offer affects the crowd...a full house with 6000 new radgies in good spirits about our position could tip the balance....doubt it though, early kick off...not many drinks beforehand....it'll be like a morgue.