Guthrie

Kid Dynamite

He didn't want to stay because he wanted regular first team football. If it's a bad move by anyone, it's by him. The only way we could have kept him would be to lie to him about the amount of football he'd get to play.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We tried to! He turned the contract offer down as he's not guaranteed a first team place.

I'd rather we kept him and he was definitely going to be involved in first team games, but at least we have Abeid and Vukic to step in who are far younger and should be given a chance. If we sign Anita too I don't think we'd miss Guthrie too much in the long run.

Dr Gloom was right though - would have been better to see Gosling go instead at this stage.

I don't see anything at all in Gosling tbh. This is more a true reflection of hunting around the bargain basement, who recommended him to the club ?

As for Guthrie, fair enough if he wants first team football, if it comes down to a few quid on a contract we should pay it but when a player like that goes, that you will probably need, you need to keep your numbers up at least, as well as improve the first 14 players or so.

We are now 3 players down on who finished last season, I think.

Who do you count as finishing last season LM?

I can only think of Guthrie & Lovenkrands.

Soderberg?

that's why I'm asking, I thought it was 3, but have only heard of Guthrie and Lovenkrands. Neither are top players but in terms of the squad, they need to be replaced - and not by squad players but players capable of going into the team and current players becoming more squad players.

Like he did in January, when Cisse came straight in, nobody went out, but he shoved Ameobi more out of the picture. This is how you do it.

that's why I'm asking, I thought it was 3, but have only heard of Guthrie and Lovenkrands. Neither are top players but in terms of the squad, they need to be replaced - and not by squad players but players capable of going into the team and current players becoming more squad players.

Like he did in January, when Cisse came straight in, nobody went out, but he shoved Ameobi more out of the picture. This is how you do it.

Since the end of the season the players released/sold with ANY first team experience are....

Danny Guthrie

Peter Lovenkrands

Alan Smith

Tamas Kadar

Fraser Forster is all but confirmed.

I don't think any of these got any first team action, but they've all been released. A couple had first team squad numbers...

Sam Adjei

Stevie Folan

Jeff Henderson

Phil Airey

Greg McDermott

Patrick Nzuzi

Ryan Donaldson

Sam Adjei

Stevie Folan

Jeff Henderson

Phil Airey

Greg McDermott

Patrick Nzuzi

Ryan Donaldson

Most footballers on Twitter come across as cocks, but having looked at the list or released young guns again I note 5 out of 7 of those names are the ones all over twitter with their NUFC pictures as a profile pic, going on like they're top internationals.

Wonder if it's an attitude thing.

Not much you can do if he doesn't want to stay. Wants guaranteed 1st team football.

fair enough, which says something good about him anyway, at least he wants to play and make the best of his career.

Guest CabayeAye

He didn't want to stay because he wanted regular first team football. If it's a bad move by anyone, it's by him. The only way we could have kept him would be to lie to him about the amount of football he'd get to play.

There's every possibility that this had already been going on for a couple of years.

There's every possibility that this had already been going on for a couple of years.

a good bit of management is to butter up players ego's. I think Pardew is a good manager, and always have long before he was manager of us and said so a long time ago too, but he could have gone on the lines of play well and you stay in the team etc etc which is every players right to expect anyway.

I accept if this had been said to him and he had run out of patience. I think its a shame they couldn't have persuaded him to stay, even by offering more money, because players who don't want to sit on the bench and actually want to play is the sort of attitude you want in everyone at your club.

Pleased Guthrie's left too slow, would he get a game for Everton? I doubt it. Never came across as a mug though other than his tackle on that Hull player which broke his leg.

After stints at Liverpool and Newcastle I think Guthrie knows his own level now.

There's buttering and there's going against a players best interests. I think we'd have been tending to the latter if we kept him.

If he stayed and kept applying himself as he has in his time I'd be delighted. As I always have been with Harper plying his trade as back up. Ultimately it comes down to what an individual wants from their career, for their family etc. Anyone slagging either of those players for either decision would be bang out of order if you ask me. Neither ever let the club down. Alan Smith on the other hand.....

I think Pardew has to take his share of the blame for Guthrie leaving to be honest, I can remember mid season he was playing well with Tiote away at the ACON and Cabaye picking up a stupid 3 match ban ruling him out, yet when both were available again (Wolves?) he dropped Guthrie so that those 2 could walk straight back in.

Now I know some people think you should pick your best 11 players for every game but it is a squad game now and Pardew should have shown more faith in someone playing well, he basically told Guthrie that it doesn't matter how well you play that if Cabaye and Tiote are fit then you're out, so you can't really blame him for moving on.

It's also worth mentioning that Pardew wants to shrink the squad size down according to Llambias but have better quality coming off the bench so I don't expect everyone to be replaced.

It does make you wonder why we have a squad of 30+ when there's only about 18 of them ever likely to get a kick for the first team. If we can get rid of the shite 10-12 and replace them with 4-5 quality players and have a decent group of 22 then are we going to be better off? That was Mourinhos plan we he first started at Chelsea iirc. 2 players for every position

It does make you wonder why we have a squad of 30+ when there's only about 18 of them ever likely to get a kick for the first team. If we can get rid of the shite 10-12 and replace them with 4-5 quality players and have a decent group of 22 then are we going to be better off? That was Mourinhos plan we he first started at Chelsea iirc. 2 players for every position

I think that's what Pardew's thinking is, to try and get more balance to the squad and get rid of 3 or 4 squad players and replace them with 1 or 2 of superior quality capable of either improving the first team or of similar quality.

I hope he gives a few more youngsters a bump up to regulars in the early games in Europe too.

With regards to replacing some of these players with the additional games in mind, Guthrie certainly played and we our 3rd pick in the middle. For him leaving I certainly expect to see someone come in his place. With Lovenkrands and likely Best on the way out, they both really filled our 4th striker spot (with Shola being 3rd). Again I expect one new striker to come in but better than Shola (of course) someone to challenge the Ba/Cisse. If Ba leaves then Id like us to bring in 2. I dont mind losing 3 and bringing in 2 as 4 forwards is enough. Same as if Simpson goes, we need a full back, which we did anyway though. But Id only expect one. It looks like we are trying for a LB I assume to push Santon to RB and then Raylor being backup to both. Could do with another imo.

I dont think its about same numbers out = same number in given a lot on the way out were shite and didnt offer the squad anything. I think we'll likely see a smaller squad but higher quality and some of the youger players getting more of a look in.

In other words, replacing Best and Lovenkrands would be one new forward better than both and more from one of the bairns. Would still have us in a stronger position than last season.

With regards to replacing some of these players with the additional games in mind, Guthrie certainly played and we our 3rd pick in the middle. For him leaving I certainly expect to see someone come in his place. With Lovenkrands and likely Best on the way out, they both really filled our 4th striker spot (with Shola being 3rd). Again I expect one new striker to come in but better than Shola (of course) someone to challenge the Ba/Cisse. If Ba leaves then Id like us to bring in 2. I dont mind losing 3 and bringing in 2 as 4 forwards is enough. Same as if Simpson goes, we need a full back, which we did anyway though. But Id only expect one. It looks like we are trying for a LB I assume to push Santon to RB and then Raylor being backup to both. Could do with another imo.

I dont think its about same numbers out = same number in given a lot on the way out were shite and didnt offer the squad anything. I think we'll likely see a smaller squad but higher quality and some of the youger players getting more of a look in.

In other words, replacing Best and Lovenkrands would be one new forward better than both and more from one of the bairns. Would still have us in a stronger position than last season.

Is Abeid/Vuckic now our Guthrie?

Guthrie's a decent player but for us to up the level, we really need a player that can produce consistently with that touch more quality.

I think we have enough midfield players to cope with his absence and hopefully Abheid can step up to the plate in the absence of Cabaye or Tiote but we do have other options as well.

It's not a position I'm worried about really.

Depends if we sign another cm. Jonas has been playing in the middle recently. Maybe he's Guthries replacement and Hoilett is his?

True enough. Don't think we're going to sign Hoillett though, reckon we'll stick with the 4-3-3 until we lose one of HBA, Ba or Cisse.

Guest CabayeAye

I hope we keep the 4-3-3 whatever, because barring Man U at home last season, we were shocking when we played 4-4-2.