The No. 10.

Park Life

I dont understand how people can say Obertan needs a chance to settle and show what he can do and yet HBA gets stick about not doing that much yet in the limited time he has had,

I would much sooner see HBA get a run of games. I know we dont see what happens in training but fact is HBa can be a game changer. Perfect for playing behind Ba imo.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Window cleaner, Sunday footballer...slogging it out in South London parks...Drinking in Croydon..80's football...Prozone..Average left back...Oversaw West Hams worst run of defeats in the clubs history(2006/07). :lol:...Sacked. Went to Charlton (relegated) then FINISHED IN THE BOTTOM 3 OF THE FIRST DIVISION.. :lol: Sacked (Nov 2008).

2009: SOUTHAMPTON: Five months later Pardew was dismissed by the club[22][23] amidst reports of low staff morale and conflicts between Pardew and club chairman, Nicola Cortese.[24][25]

2010 The dunce miraculously takes over at Newcastle United. :lol:

Seriously guys if you want to talk about apples let's stick to apples.

Beyond cringe-worthy, cherry-picking his worst moments like that.

We should be building the team around a player like HBA. It would also bring out the best in players like Cabaye and Ba imo. In those two you have players who are good enough in terms of movement and ability to work well with HBA. Long term we should look at moving Jonas to the right and playing Marveaux or Ferguson on the left. WIth Tiote playing the holding role we should still have enough muscle in the middle of the park. However, I fear we'll never see that line-up start a PL game.

Pardew is an average coach who has worked hard to stay in professional football and for this deserves respect. But he isn't a PL manager by a long shot. Yes my darlings the gloves are off. ;)

You want Pardew sacked?

Yes.

Lordy.

Ashley's record of managerial appointments is woeful. Kinnear, Hughton, Pardew, Shearer, Keegan.....and you want him to have ANOTHER pop while we're in a league position far exceeding what our spending should allow?

Luckily Pardew will not be sacked this season so it's all moot.

Window cleaner, Sunday footballer...slogging it out in South London parks...Drinking in Croydon..80's football...Prozone..Average left back...Oversaw West Hams worst run of defeats in the clubs history(2006/07). :lol:...Sacked. Went to Charlton (relegated) then FINISHED IN THE BOTTOM 3 OF THE FIRST DIVISION.. :lol: Sacked (Nov 2008).

2009: SOUTHAMPTON: Five months later Pardew was dismissed by the club[22][23] amidst reports of low staff morale and conflicts between Pardew and club chairman, Nicola Cortese.[24][25]

Ha ha missed the cup run.....:) He had a good spell at Dulwich Hamlet and they still talk about his composure at Epsom and Ewell. :spit:

Pardew is an average coach who has worked hard to stay in professional football and for this deserves respect. But he isn't a PL manager by a long shot. Yes my darlings the gloves are off. ;)

You want Pardew sacked?

Yes.

Lordy.

Ashley's record of managerial appointments is woeful. Kinnear, Hughton, Pardew, Shearer, Keegan.....and you want him to have ANOTHER pop while we're in a league position far exceeding what our spending should allow?

Luckily Pardew will not be sacked this season so it's all moot.

Out.

The word fickle needs an airing.

No one is saying he's brilliant but he's been better of a lot in recent years and had a great start to the season. Lack of squad depth is hurting us more than tactics.

But come on man, it's great having debates and everything, and you may think HBA's not been too great. But the bottom line is this, Obertan has played worse than HBA this season, he's also done less in his career to suggest there's more to him than what we've seen. That's an opinion, but it's also fact, the same way saying Lionel Messi is better than Gervinho is just an opinion... but also fact. The point being that Pardew plays the worse player constantly and the player who's better is on the bench when he knows that he could be playing/warming the bench for a "bigger" team (ie European competitions). Suggesting that given the recent team selections it's just lack of squad depth is naive. I don't hate Pardew and I don't think he should be sacked or anything silly but it's okay to realise that he's making shit decisions without being fickle. Yes he had a great start to the season, but we're having a shit middle to it. Next thing you know we'll be 12th but that's okay because Haris Vuckic nearly scored that one time.

I dont understand how people can say Obertan needs a chance to settle and show what he can do and yet HBA gets stick about not doing that much yet in the limited time he has had,

I would much sooner see HBA get a run of games. I know we dont see what happens in training but fact is HBa can be a game changer. Perfect for playing behind Ba imo.

Ignoring the fact they've been brought in to play in different positions so a comparison isn't worthwhile in the first place, it's exactly the opposite as far as I'm concerned. People have made their mind up on Obertan after 5 months, he's shit and deserves no support whatsover. After 2 years though, Ben Arfa needs more time to show what he can do. It's an incongruity that boils my piss...not because I don't think Ben Arfa should play, because I'd start him ahead of Best, but because supposed supporters of the club are bringing our own players down.

Edited by Happy Face

We should be building the team around a player like HBA. It would also bring out the best in players like Cabaye and Ba imo. In those two you have players who are good enough in terms of movement and ability to work well with HBA. Long term we should look at moving Jonas to the right and playing Marveaux or Ferguson on the left. WIth Tiote playing the holding role we should still have enough muscle in the middle of the park. However, I fear we'll never see that line-up start a PL game.

I would be happy just to see the side play some football and no more hoofing from the gk and the defenders.

Ha ha missed the cup run..... :) He had a good spell at Dulwich Hamlet and they still talk about his composure at Epsom and Ewell. :spit:

Didn't realise your child had access to your account, Parky.

If it's really you then it's convenient how you've forgotten his time at Reading, his success with West Ham, where Charlton were when he took over, and where Southampton were when he left.

Ha ha missed the cup run..... :) He had a good spell at Dulwich Hamlet and they still talk about his composure at Epsom and Ewell. :spit:

Didn't realise your child had access to your account, Parky.

If it's really you then it's convenient how you've forgotten his time at Reading, his success with West Ham, where Charlton were when he took over, and where Southampton were when he left.

Show me which parts of my post are factually incorrect.

SHow me where I said they were factually incorrect.

He's a coward and a liar and two faced and an arselicker. :lol:

Shouldn't be anywhere near a club like ours. Reading yes...Blackpool maybe.

His win rate at West Ham was 41% at a time when the club had one of the best young squads ever in its history.

Think we've all been too diplomatic regarding him bearing in mind MA is a massive handicap..But if he won't speak up for the good of the club what use is he to us?

Edited by Park Life

Blame Pardew all you like, but for me the bottom line is the majority of time I've seen HBA play this season he has been very very average.

which has been a fewtimes for 10minutes at a time towards the end of games, unlike the rest of us who seen him play in league winning sides and in europe etc

covered this before.

That's all in the past though Ant. Torres used to be great but now isn't.

HBA has started games and had a lot more than just the odd 10 minutes and unfortunately has not shown anything that resembles a player we should be building a team around.

I think as we've also covered many times, it's unlikely he will ever "work" in a team that has such poor footballers around him.

He'd probably look good in an Arsenal team but let's not kid ourselves that we are a pass and move team or have the personell to play that way.

Fair point, we have a talented player that doesn't fit in to the manager's style of play. And the players and system currently used aren't getting the best out of him, especially when he continues to use the unimpressive obertan. Would Ben arfa really do worse than him out wide? Same goes for starting him ahead of Best, who has been poor since returning from injury.

Part of the problem for me is hatem tries to do too much when he gets the ball because he's only getting 20-30 minute cameos to make an impact. I understand the manager's thinking he won't fit into the system that did well in the early part of the season but if I were him I'd be making sure the most talented players were on the pitch and building a system around the best players. And from where I'm sitting that means Ben Arfa in and Obertan on the bench.

No one is saying he's brilliant but he's been better of a lot in recent years and had a great start to the season. Lack of squad depth is hurting us more than tactics.

But come on man, it's great having debates and everything, and you may think HBA's not been too great. But the bottom line is this, Obertan has played worse than HBA this season, he's also done less in his career to suggest there's more to him than what we've seen. That's an opinion, but it's also fact, the same way saying Lionel Messi is better than Gervinho is just an opinion... but also fact. The point being that Pardew plays the worse player constantly and the player who's better is on the bench when he knows that he could be playing/warming the bench for a "bigger" team (ie European competitions). Suggesting that given the recent team selections it's just lack of squad depth is naive. I don't hate Pardew and I don't think he should be sacked or anything silly but it's okay to realise that he's making shit decisions without being fickle. Yes he had a great start to the season, but we're having a shit middle to it. Next thing you know we'll be 12th but that's okay because Haris Vuckic nearly scored that one time.

I wasn't having an Obertan v Ben Arfa debate. It's pointless as the manager says he doesn't want to play on the wing. Regardless of the conspiracy theories i'm sure if that wasnt true then we would have heard differently from the player.

I would be more than happy for him to replace Obertan but it's a dead discussion really.

I quite agree with Alex's vision above however fate is not going to see that happen.

Sometimes things (Marveaux injury, HBA pre season injury) etc don't fall into place despite a managers best efforts.

I would be happy just to see the side play some football and no more hoofing from the gk and the defenders.

I could understand Pardew's stance more if the team was playing well and Best was doing the business but that's obviously not the case. Not sure if it's an ego thing / not trusting HBA or whatever but the lad came on and scored the winner against Bolton so in the next game he plays Vuckic instead of him in a similar role to the one in which HBA would normally play. Something doesn't add up. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at PSG tbh.

I wasn't having an Obertan v Ben Arfa debate. It's pointless as the manager says he doesn't want to play on the wing. Regardless of the conspiracy theories i'm sure if that wasnt true then we would have heard differently from the player.

I would be more than happy for him to replace Obertan but it's a dead discussion really.

I quite agree with Alex's vision above however fate is not going to see that happen.

Sometimes things (Marveaux injury, HBA pre season injury) etc don't fall into place despite a managers best efforts.

But the Ben Arfa/Obertan thing is the perfect case of it though. He's not handled it right. Ben Arfa doesn't want to play on the wing? No he might prefer the number 10 role, but I doubt he'd refuse to play there, especially since he can play there, and would probably do a better job than Obertan. Let's say Ben Arfa really doesn't want to and Pardew can't get him to... that just shows he can't control his players. There's no way of looking at that lone incident without seeing a fault by Pardew.

Also, Obertan shouldn't be considered in HBA discussions because his form has no bearing on HBA's selection. Discussion should be based around Best/Vuckic/whoever plays there and their form.

But on that basis, Ben Arfa should be starting but there must be a solid reason why he isn't.

But the Ben Arfa/Obertan thing is the perfect case of it though. He's not handled it right. Ben Arfa doesn't want to play on the wing? No he might prefer the number 10 role, but I doubt he'd refuse to play there, especially since he can play there, and would probably do a better job than Obertan. Let's say Ben Arfa really doesn't want to and Pardew can't get him to... that just shows he can't control his players. There's no way of looking at that lone incident without seeing a fault by Pardew.

In your opinion :-)

Without guessing, we know that Pardew has said the player doesn't want to play there.

We also know Obertan is another new player at the club and Pardew has to handle him right as well.

He may stay a duffer or like Coloccini he may come good. You could say that Pardew is showing great man management by sticking by a new player and giving him match time.

Only time will tell if it is the right decision.

Sorry if old.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/7410267/Ben-Arfa-Give-me-a-chance

Hatem Ben Arfa has voiced his frustration at a lack of first-team opportunities at Newcastle this season.

The French playmaker has been forced to settle for a bit-part role with the Magpies, starting only three of their 19 league fixtures so far this term.

The 24-year-old is once again expected to start from the bench against Manchester United on Wednesday evening, however he believes he has done enough to show manager Alan Pardew that he deserves a run in the starting XI.

The former Marseille star, whose left leg was broken in a tackle by Manchester City's Nigel de Jong 15 months ago, told The Sun: "I knew it would take time to get back. But it has been four months now and I feel I'm ready.

"I'm completely fit and believe I'm able to play more than I have done so far. When I see fans in the street, they always ask me why I am not playing. I respond it's not my decision.

"I scored at Bolton but then was still on the bench for the next game. I wasn't surprised though.

"There have been a lot of emotions since I arrived here - positive and negative. I arrived and scored a great goal against Everton, then there was the injury.

"I went from one extreme to the other in a very short amount of time. But I would still say it has been positive so far, mainly because of the fans who have always supported me.

"I'm a competitor and I want to play every game, every minute. The manager knows what I'm thinking. He knows I want to play. He makes his choices and I have to respect them."

Ben Arfa believes the reason for his limited first-team opportunities is due to a clash of styles between himself and boss Pardew.

The Frenchman believes he is more suited to playing in a footballing side, such as Swansea, while Pardew prefers a more direct approach.

"It's true we don't share quite the same philosophy. For him, it's more crosses, a bit of a more direct style, whereas I'm more the kind of player who likes to play short passes," he added.

"I like to pass and move, a little bit like Swansea when we played against them. I was very impressed with the way Swansea played football.

"That is the kind of football I like. That's the philosophy I learned at the French academy at Clairefontaine."

Ben Arfa, who signed a four-year deal with the Magpies 12 months ago, has enjoyed his time in England so far and insists he has no immediate plans to walk away from the club, despite his frustrations.

He said: "There is a lot of bulls**t about players in this country, stories like they've been seen drinking the day before their game.

"For me, that is exaggerated. You can have a drink in your time as long as you are good on the pitch.

"I prefer the English mentality in game preparation. You don't have to go to a hotel the night before a home game. There is more freedom for the players. I like that.

"I have ambitions. I'm ambitious for Newcastle, for the fans. If the club matches my ambitions, no problems."