The No. 10.

Park Life

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nothing wrong with being arrogant, but if Pardew thinks Ben Arfa has more to show and the best way to get it out of him is by constantly challenging him to improve, then that will be why he isn't starting. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but he's in a better position to make that call than we are.

If people completely fail to see that Pardew's entire approach (and results yielded so far) is to try and build from a defensive base and a harrying game when not in possession then they have no grasp of football at all. B Arfa is potentially our technically most gifted player going forward from an attacking mid/link up striker position but Pardew sees that as less important (overall) than having two diligent/regimented banks of four that can try and hit two more advanced strikers. As a containing shape that has proved to be worthwhile in loads of games this season- he knows fine well we're not brilliant and he doesnt want to lose games after only 5 minutes in, so that's why he goes with it. The Toon are past masters at losing games before they've started so that alone has been a huge improvement.

B Arfa would be an automatic starter in a stronger team. At the moment he's being thrown on to try and step us up a gear as an impact sub at strategic times when the game is poised. He'll become an automatic starter in any event when Ba goes to the ACN, albeit out of position so people need to stop getting so menstrual.

I think you make good analyses of many situations, but there is no excuse for not playing HBA. Football is essentially entertainment, the fans pay to see players like HBA, no one pays PL prices in the hope of seeing Obertan and Leon Best week after week. Stop the madness, Pardfool.

So what you are saying is that we cannot afford a single player with mainly offensive duty? Is Best and Obertans defensive contributions that significant so that they completely counterweight the considerably weaker offensive contributions they provide?

It is not excactly a vote of confidence to our back four, Tiote and cabaye that we see it as an absolute necessity to have even strikers defending from the front.

Torres in his prime probably wouldnt get a game under pardew, due to his lazy look. "He was good? he scored a few goals."

Best losing the ball up front is containable. Obertan losing the ball on the wing is containable.

Wasn't tonight. What you're attempting to justify is playing two players who rarely do anything proactive with possession (most of the time they simply lose it), over HBA, who we all know is capable of much more.

So what you are saying is that we cannot afford a single player with mainly offensive duty? Is Best and Obertans defensive contributions that significant so that they completely counterweight the considerably weaker offensive contributions they provide?

It is not excactly a vote of confidence to our back four, Tiote and cabaye that we see it as an absolute necessity to have even strikers defending from the front.

Torres in his prime probably wouldnt get a game under pardew, due to his lazy look. "He was good? he scored a few goals."

Best losing the ball up front is containable. Obertan losing the ball on the wing is containable.

Wasn't tonight. What you're attempting to justify is playing two players who rarely do anything proactive with possession (most of the time they simply lose it), over HBA, who we all know is capable of much more.

HBA came on. Best didn't even get on the field. It's about lining up against an opposition.

I don't think Obertan should be starting in all honesty, I don't see what he does to warrant it overall, but at the same time I don't think it's as simplistic as people make out ie: you play B Arfa from the start instead of Best/Obertan AN Other ergo you win. Just not realistic iyam and certainly not reason to call for Pardew to be sacked as some are doing. His starting point is to try and make us hard to beat and I genuinely think that's a good thing.

Agree Manc, I think Marveux is preferred to Obertan but since he's injured I'm assuming Pardew wants to keep the shape of the team similar. That and lack of other options are the only ways I can somewhat rationalize why he's still a starter.

Only the Norweigan pillocks are saying that we could have won every game and Pardew should be sacked. I'm saying--and I'm sure from the comments I've seen that people who frequent the games will agree--that you start HBA for the fans' sake as much as anything. You pay extortionate prices to see a game of football, you want to see someone who is gifted, not Obertan. Besides that, I don't buy the argument that we're more likely to lose if HBA starts because of a lack of pressing. I think that's a kneejerk reaction to the spread of Norweigan propaganda.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

Fjord what it's worth I'd be happy for Obertan to be dropped, I just don't think we're the 'Hatem Globetrotters' yet as the Norwegian propogandists have it. It's complete naivety fjord fucks sake.

I refer people back to the fact that bar his goal and a couple of nice passes HBA has done precisely bot all in his time on the pitch. There's obviously some reason behind why Pards is so reluctant to start him too.

Edited by J69

There's nothing wrong with being arrogant, but if Pardew thinks Ben Arfa has more to show and the best way to get it out of him is by constantly challenging him to improve, then that will be why he isn't starting. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but he's in a better position to make that call than we are.

If people completely fail to see that Pardew's entire approach (and results yielded so far) is to try and build from a defensive base and a harrying game when not in possession then they have no grasp of football at all. B Arfa is potentially our technically most gifted player going forward from an attacking mid/link up striker position but Pardew sees that as less important (overall) than having two diligent/regimented banks of four that can try and hit two more advanced strikers. As a containing shape that has proved to be worthwhile in loads of games this season- he knows fine well we're not brilliant and he doesnt want to lose games after only 5 minutes in, so that's why he goes with it. The Toon are past masters at losing games before they've started so that alone has been a huge improvement.

B Arfa would be an automatic starter in a stronger team. At the moment he's being thrown on to try and step us up a gear as an impact sub at strategic times when the game is poised. He'll become an automatic starter in any event when Ba goes to the ACN, albeit out of position so people need to stop getting so menstrual.

I think you make good analyses of many situations, but there is no excuse for not playing HBA. Football is essentially entertainment, the fans pay to see players like HBA, no one pays PL prices in the hope of seeing Obertan and Leon Best week after week. Stop the madness, Pardfool.

It's a clash of ego's. One a very average left back who was called a wanker week in week out at Selhurst Park the other a dionysian wonderkid. Wonder who's ego is bruised....

The Norwegians seem to think if HBA starts then the league title is in the bag.

We'll still lose games with him.

He would improve our side, thats all I am saying. Given the performance of some of the players in our starting XI, i dont think that is a shocking statement.

I wouldnt even have complained if he started instead of Jonas if Pardew is obsessed with playing obertan. The argentine needs a rest.

On our current 8-game form we will finish with 43-45 points.

Edited by Lake Bells tits

Ben Arfa is a ninja. He can jump out of the shadows like a surprise and create hazard, he doesn't need to look like he's constantly working the whole match. Sad to see it was too late for him yesterday, he could have put Liverpool on their backheels in the first half and given our team more confidence.

Edited by Aeris

Seems Aeris has stepped up his progression into full blown WUMdom given that his efforts to be taken seriously have fallen on deafears.

now you're the wum, because all you do is winding ME up.

KSA might be one, but I'm just being me. Crazy, angry, pessimistic and easy depressible...

Edited by Aeris

"This is how Pardew's trying to win the ego battle though, sending him on in impossible situations like at Anfield when you've had the team playing like frightened kittens for an hour, starting him against the three best sides in the land then leaving him out against Norwich, Swansea and West Brom because he's "not fit". Bet him scoring at Bolton proper ruined Pardew's Christmas."

Seems crazy not playing him when Vuckic was thrown in at the deep end to perform a similar role. We might as well stick Ben Arfa on the transfer list if he isn't going to start in a situation like that tbh.

raise your shield tittybells, arrows gonna rain now - you wum! :P

100% support though, I want him gone, just like all the other fans of clubs he's ever been to wanted.

Edited by Aeris

Seems crazy not playing him when Vuckic was thrown in at the deep end to perform a similar role. We might as well stick Ben Arfa on the transfer list if he isn't going to start in a situation like that tbh.

Gives me an idea for a thread. ;)