Holidays 2012

Jan

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are you staying in Berlin? We were at the Hilton and did a walking tour (met at the train station) and covered check point charlie, Berlin Unversity the sqaure where they burnt the books, the wall and the Brandenburg Tor Jewish Memorial, Hitlers bunker well worth a couple hours......oh and the hotel Micheal Jackon dangled his kid out of.

We are also queued to tour the Reichsta.

So far I've made a reservation at the unsicht-Bar, which is an 'eat in the dark' restaurant which could make for an interesting experience

How does that work then?

Basically you choose your meal in the foyer and once you've decided what you want you're lead into a pitch black room where you'll be seated. A lot of the waiters are blind and so if you need to move around you are in safe hands. Your meal is then brought out to you pre-cut up into manageable pieces. The point of it all is that with one of the major senses removed from the equation a lot more focus goes into taste. I first remember seeing the concept on an episode of CSI and thought it was quite interesting.

The website for it is here:

http://www.unsicht-b...ome_1_idea.html

http://www.unsicht-b...experience.html

It will either be a load of shit or an interesting story to tell.

Where are you staying in Berlin? We were at the Hilton and did a walking tour (met at the train station) and covered check point charlie, Berlin Unversity the sqaure where they burnt the books, the wall and the Brandenburg Tor Jewish Memorial, Hitlers bunker well worth a couple hours......oh and the hotel Micheal Jackon dangled his kid out of.

We are also queued to tour the Reichsta.

We're staying at an Ibis near to Alexanderplatz, so we're pretty much in the midst of it all. I would really like to check out Hitler's bunker. This website seems to suggst it's really difficult to find:

http://www.gimmelwal...ope/bunker.html

Am I going to need to be apart of a tour to see it? I can't seem to find any details on how to actually get to it.

I'm taking the mrs to Berlin next Saturday for her birthday - Going to be there for 3 days. I'm really looking forward to it. So far I've made a reservation at the unsicht-Bar, which is an 'eat in the dark' restaurant which could make for an interesting experience, and there are a couple of museums I'd li

ke to see too, like the DDR museum for example. Can anyone recommend any other 'must do' activities whilst we're there? We'll also probably pay a visit to the Reichstag, the TV tower, and maybe Checkpoint Charlie if time permits. Regretting only booking 3 days come to think of it.

Hitlers bunker.

Am I going to need to be apart of a tour to see it? I can't seem to find any details on how to actually get to it.

There is no bunker it was filled with concrete during the 60's and all that is there now is grass and houses. send me a message if you want to see some pictures of it, to avoid disappointment!

There is no bunker it was filled with concrete during the 60's and all that is there now is grass and houses. send me a message if you want to see some pictures of it, to avoid disappointment!

I was only jokin. :lol:

Best thing about Berlin is the nightlife. Don't faack abhaat in restaurants and shit.

Go here: Watergate

watergate-1102698717-62fbc3ba04-z_36_273x214.jpg

My other fave is Roter Lounge.

http://www.clubvibes.com/berlin/nightclub/roter-salon-der-volksb%C3%BChne.html

Edited by Park Life

Best thing about Berlin is the nightlife. Don't faack abhaat in restaurants and shit.

What about the culture of a city? :banned:

Reingold and Newton are really lush cocktail bars. Chillin beats and the best cocktails in Berlin.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2011/nov/03/top-10-cocktail-bars-berlin

http://www.clubvibes...b%C3%BChne.html

Debating between that and Berghain to be honest.

Edit: Could you recommend any other bars that are suitable for a quick drink? Ie, not a full on club like Tresor, Watergate, etc.

Edit 2: I see you've just done that above anyway. Cheers!

Edited by noaliasmike

http://www.clubvibes...b%C3%BChne.html

Debating between that and Berghain to be honest.

Edit: Could you recommend any other bars that are suitable for a quick drink? Ie, not a full on club like Tresor, Watergate, etc.

Edit 2: I see you've just done that above anyway. Cheers!

Berlin Mitte has great atmosphere and many small bars and eateries and tiny mysterious places. There's an old cinema down an alley near the center of it and around there are many good little places for 'clever drinking'.

http://www.qype.co.u...e-Cinema-Berlin

http://cafekulturber...label/KREUZBERG

Edited by Park Life

Can anyone tell me how to book a reasonably priced return flight to the US coming back from a different airport to the one I fly into?

Following the advice of people in the thread i want to fly into LA and out of Las vegas,

Looking at the usual comparison sites and a one way ticket to LA is £900+ while a return ticket is £700+. So it'd be chepaer for 2 return tickets...though border control might excavate my arse if i do owt dodgy like that.

There must be a better way?

Might be worth looking into just doing a conventional return and including an internal flight. Don't know about now so much but they used to be pretty cheap in the US. Also, I think you'd invalidate the return leg for the one which you don't make the outward journey on (I'd certainly check that out anyway).

Edited by alex

Might be worth looking into just doing a conventional return and including an internal flight. Don't know about now so much but they used to be pretty cheap in the US. Also, I think you'd invalidate the return leg for the one which you don't make the outward journey on (I'd certainly check that out anyway).

It's an option cheers. Think i'd drive back rather than fly if that's my best bet, It's only a five hour drive between the two, so I could use the last day to do that in the same time it would take to check in and out and have the palaver of an internal flight.

Can anyone tell me how to book a reasonably priced return flight to the US coming back from a different airport to the one I fly into?

Following the advice of people in the thread i want to fly into LA and out of Las vegas,

Looking at the usual comparison sites and a one way ticket to LA is £900+ while a return ticket is £700+. So it'd be chepaer for 2 return tickets...though border control might excavate my arse if i do owt dodgy like that.

There must be a better way?

You need multiple destinations, most airlnes have it on their website. We booked that way using Virgin and American Airlines

You need multiple destinations, most airlnes have it on their website. We booked that way using Virgin and American Airlines

Cheers, found some American Airlines & BA combos for £800, so that's champion....as long as the bell ends don't strike.

Cheers, found some American Airlines & BA combos for £800, so that's champion....as long as the bell ends don't strike.

Think yourself lucky coming back from China in 2010 we had BA striking and an ash cloud. Ended up hiring a car at Heathrow and driving home from there. (We were supposed to fly into Manchester).

I've bought two returns and not used the return leg on either (Newcastle to San Francisco, Houston to Newcastle), cos it was cheaper than using the multi airport thing. Nowt happens to you at immigration.

Edited by Gemmill

I've bought two returns and not used the return leg on either (Newcastle to San Francisco, Houston to Newcastle), cos it was cheaper than using the multi airport thing. Nowt happens to you at immigration.

Good to know, cheers, looks like the multi will work out cheaper for me though, now i know it exists.