Holidays 2012

Jan

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone been to Alcudia before, or C'an Picafort? Looking for 7+ nights all inclusive at either and not sure where to go, some people on TripAdvisor are twats like. :lol:

Alcudia has a nice beach. Or it did have about 25 years ago. I hope that helps.

Anyone been to Alcudia before, or C'an Picafort? Looking for 7+ nights all inclusive at either and not sure where to go, some people on TripAdvisor are twats like. :lol:

Are you looking for the cheapest possible all inclusive 4 star hotel you can get? I had a quick look on Teletext/icelolly last week and those two destinations were the ones that came up.

Then I decided that I didn't want to spend a week surrounded by cheap twats (like myself) who were only there because it was the cheapest possible holiday.

Booked up earlier, just gone 3 star self-catering. From the reviews the hotel seems really good, got 10 nights for a good price for the 3 of us so can't complain.

It'll be the first time the bairn's been abroad, looking forward to it!

:lol:

Spent most of the time lying on my front or in the pool.

Thinking back, she was a right rotter, but she was 18 , had tits, and would speak to me. The joys of 13yr old hormones!

Not changed much have you? :glare:

Anyone going to New York might like this blog. It's basically a bloke moaning about how New York is going to shit, and focussing on the good stuff that's left. Down the right hand side of the page are guides to different districts in the city, sort of a hidden gems type thing.

I've linked to the guide to Gramercy, but there's plenty others to choose from.

http://lostnewyorkci...o-gramercy.html

You need a key to get into Gramercy Park. You only get one when you live in a building overlooking it

Driving the western states of the US for 3 weeks in October/November.

Any recommendations of places to go gratefully received.

I would definitely visit Yosemite National Park in Northern California absolutely breath taking scenery.

Driving the western states of the US for 3 weeks in October/November.

Any recommendations of places to go gratefully received.

Not sure if a bit inland for you, but Bryce Canyon in Utah (http://en.wikipedia....n_National_Park http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bryce+canyon&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=X3AoT6mFJ-jB0QWopJD3BA&biw=1920&bih=1021&sei=YXAoT-jwJ-qf0QXa-MkT) is meant to be absolutely stunning. Parents did a tour of Western USA and said it pissed on Grand Canyon (well, not quite in those words!). Photos they have of it are ridiculous, so in real life I bet its amazing.

Properly jealous, would love to do a trip like that. (And San Diego is meant to be a really nice place, but not really sure what there is to do/see there, other than I've never heard anyone have a bad thing to say about it).

Edited by Bonamental

Thanks Both.

Added them to the itinerary.

Hoping to have some time in Vegas and Monument Valley, so Bryce Canyon would only be a small detour.

Think I've probably got rose tinted specs about what we can fit into 21 days like. I'm looking at every place of interest between Seattle and Roswell :lol: so as we get closer I'll probably have to drop some of the more ambitious destinations.

Thanks Both.

Added them to the itinerary.

Hoping to have some time in Vegas and Monument Valley, so Bryce Canyon would only be a small detour.

Think I've probably got rose tinted specs about what we can fit into 21 days like. I'm looking at every place of interest between Seattle and Roswell :lol: so as we get closer I'll probably have to drop some of the more ambitious destinations.

Awesome road trip holiday that. My brother lives out there so we've done a few variations.

Definitely drive up the pacific coast highway (highway 1) from LA to San Fran. Amazing coast line drive with cool little places to stop and explore (Santa Barbra/wine country/big sur/Carmel/San Louis obispo etc). You might see migrating whales too if you're lucky.

For unbelivable natural beauty definitely check the giant redwoods and waterfalls at Yosemite park. A drive over the tioga pass if it's open to Vegas via Death Valley is a must too. I've never seen stars shine as brightly anywhere else. Amazing place.

Avoid San Diego - dull - and the hick towns outside Yosemite. Stay on the valley floor if you can.

Sequoia park, lake Isabella and palm springs also worth visiting.

Cheers DG, sounds like the informed contribution I need.

I wasn't fussed on San Francisco itself (why do I want to see a Bridge and a Jail?), but I think the trip will be the best part rather than the destination.

Went to C'an Picafort when I was 13, and spent the entire time trying ( and failing) not to get a boner as I lusted over my mates elder sister. Hope that helps Besty. :lol:

:lol:

That so reminds me of a holiday in Italy my grandparents took me and my sis to when I was 13/14. I basically had lie face down on the sand as all I had on was a speedo type of trunks (it was 1987) and there was these two 18/20-ish (to my eyes) Goddesses with their tits oot. When I eventually, err, 'calmed down', I all of a sudden needed to go to the toilet back in our rooms to 'reminisce' on the sight of these two girls.

San Francisco is class. You're definitely missing out if you don't go there. As for other things to do, some of it has already been covered, but the wine country is worth a visit. Death Valley is worth a look depending on when you're there - there's a place called Scotty's Castle which is canny weird. This crackpot entrepreneur built a house for himself in the middle of the desert and would entertain members of the royal family there, along with hollywood's elite. Strange bloke, strange place.

If you're going to LA, stay in Santa Monica. I stayed in Hotel Carmel (this was back in 99 I think), which was only like a 3 star or something, but it's really well located and we had no bother. Just had a look on Tripadvisor and it's getting some variable reviews these days.

Santa Barbara is well worth stopping off at for a night or two. Ridiculously swanky college town.

Monterey Aquarium is worth a visit - Monterey itself is a nice town too.

The Grand Canyon is worth a look.

I would say be very selective about what you're gonna do. I did this holiday and in just over 2 weeks we only got round San Francisco, LA, the Grand Canyon and Vegas comfortably - this allowed time to stop off at places on the way and time to spend in each city. We could have done a little bit more, and you'll have the benefit of extra time, but don't be too ambitious cos you'll just end up feeling like a long haul truck driver.

If you do go to SF, then go on a night tour of Alcatraz.

Big Sur has been mentioned I think, and is worth a visit.

If you are going wild and trying to fit loads in, Lake Tahoe is beautiful but might be a bit too out of the way.

I wasn't fussed on San Francisco itself (why do I want to see a Bridge and a Jail?), but I think the trip will be the best part rather than the destination.

there's more to san fran than that. it's pretty cool if you like a city break - cool bars and restaurants (they've got a japan town as well as a china town). the docks are cool and a boat trip to alcatraz is touristy but well worth it.

but you needn't spend more than a day or two there if you're more into the road trip and seeing the landscape, which is some of the most beautiful and varied i've seen. if you're into wine tasting, from SF you've got napa to the north but the wine country around santa barbara is just as good and a lot closer if you're flying into LA.

if i were doing it again i would fly into la, spend a day or teo there to catch up on sleep, hang out in santa monica and venice, go for a drive up into the hills for a view of the hollywood sign - avoid the tourist tat around hollywood blvd. a drive up mullholland to griffith observatory is cool.

then from la, take 3 or 4 days to drive to san fran up the PCH. stop at santa barbara for a couple of days - one in the town then off to wine country wine tasting

next stop big sur a bit further up the coast - amazing beaches, huge waves and hippy/surf scene and cool little family run hotels with great places to eat. don't book too much in advance though, just call in to places like hearst castle, carmel and monterey - see which places you like best then decide on how long you want to stay in each place. there are some amazing coastline walks around there - don't be surprised to see seals, whales and eagles on this section of the trip!

next stop SF - a couple of days in the city before embalking on THE drive of the trip to yosemite. you could spend up to a week here but 2-3 days should be enough. definitely check out the mariposa grove - yosemite's biggest redwood tree park. glacier point for some awesome views. stay on the valley floor if you can - either camping or a cabin. go on one of the waterfall walks. the upper yosemite falls walk is a good one. it's about an 8 mile round trip but well worth it.

if you're going in the summer months you'll be able to take the tioga pass from yosemite to death valley. if not, you could go the long way around, calling at lake izabella. you cold easily spend a couple of days in death valley - soem amazing hikes around there too, though beware in the summer. it's the hottest places i've ever been.

i'd leave at least 3 days for vegas if you can. fly out of vegas too if you're able. it's the best way to end the trip and the drive back to LA is dull, long and there are no interesting places to stay on the way.

Why do you want to see a long road?

These 2 landmarks are icons. Probably the most famous jail and bridge in the world. Lovely settings for some great pictures as well.

You can just drive over the Golden Gate Bridge then ! :razz:

Don't try walking over it the barstewards on push bikes will try to run you over.

Edited by Jan

God bless the American's Ithey are great We were on the trolly going up Knob Hill and when they worked out we were British we received a load of questions including: Have you been to Stonehenge? Have you met the Queen? And what is a Beefeater?

I love the States, which will explain why I have been there five times :jonas: