The Day The Promises Had To Stop

LeazesMag

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well summarised AF, though unfortunately the gap is so big that maximising revenue and using credit are no longer enough to catch up with the top 4/5 imo.

Also, I've just realised that Kate Moss in your avatar looks like she's just finished a bukkake party round at SMO's.

with the view you have, I'm not surprised you don't get it, even though I've explained it numerous times. Its idiots like you, that keep needing to have the obvious explained all the time that ruin these message boards and are responsible for threads becoming derailed. You've spoke less than a dozen posts of any sense in years.

Leazes, how do you think we should go forward?

I agree that on balance, the Halls and Shepherds were the most successful owners we've had in my lifetime (40 years). I do also think they'd run out of good ideas by the time they sacked Robson and we can agree to disagree on whether or not they would have got us back on track.

There are only four ways I can think of to get back to the peak of those years.

1) Maximise revenue

Full house every fortnight, global advertising/promotion, maximise income from sponsorship (even if that includes unpopular things like Stadium naming rights)

2) Credit

Borrowing money used to be easier, it's a fact. We did it and so did a lot of other clubs. Some still do but we don't anymore.

3) Rich owner

Ashley has put more of his own money into this club than anyone in our history, including the Halls and Shepherds. Why he did it and what his plans are don't change that fact. Unless he decides to bankroll the club or we get bought by someone who does want to, this isn't how we're going to get back to the CL. (It's also not that good for the game IMO)

4) Run it like a miser

This is where we are now IMO. Much more focus on getting value for money and selling when the offer is deemed "too good". I was as gutted as anyone to see Carroll go but it's hard to argue that we should have kept him when Ba is scoring far more than he is and we still have over £25m. Time will tell if that gets reinvested or goes to pay off some of what FCB has already put in.

Are you saying we should be trying to borrow more money? Or that he should be putting in money in that even the Halls and Shepherds didn't? I'd like to think that seeing us at the top end of the table will give him ideas and not be in a hurry to sell our best players (which other than Carroll, he hasn't done).

please explain why a club with the 14th biggest turnover in football [and had reached the heights of 8th] need to sell their best players and withhold the money from the manager ?

Not being funny, but this is just soooooo basic, I can't see why people aren't getting it.

I know what makes NUFC tick, and how to succeed on the pitch in football, and it got the club into one of the top clubs in the world, as Stevie has also shown you.

EDit

FWIW, I don't disagree entirely with what CAbayeaye says in this post, only the flak dished out to the people who made the club what it is, the dismissal of their methods which are tried tested and proven in football, and the failure to recognise that Mike Ashley has taken the club back 20 years rather than "stabilise" it. And I'm confident that he will never match the previous regimes league positions and not even attempt to compete with the other big clubs that we ought to be competing with, through operating this sell your best players and replace policy which is here for good while he is here I'm afraid.

Please expand on the bit in bold.

The bit in green doesn't even make sense you blend!

there's only one bellend here chum.

Leazes, how do you think we should go forward?

I agree that on balance, the Halls and Shepherds were the most successful owners we've had in my lifetime (40 years). I do also think they'd run out of good ideas by the time they sacked Robson and we can agree to disagree on whether or not they would have got us back on track.

There are only four ways I can think of to get back to the peak of those years.

1) Maximise revenue

Full house every fortnight, global advertising/promotion, maximise income from sponsorship (even if that includes unpopular things like Stadium naming rights)

2) Credit

Borrowing money used to be easier, it's a fact. We did it and so did a lot of other clubs. Some still do but we don't anymore.

3) Rich owner

Ashley has put more of his own money into this club than anyone in our history, including the Halls and Shepherds. Why he did it and what his plans are don't change that fact. Unless he decides to bankroll the club or we get bought by someone who does want to, this isn't how we're going to get back to the CL. (It's also not that good for the game IMO)

4) Run it like a miser

This is where we are now IMO. Much more focus on getting value for money and selling when the offer is deemed "too good". I was as gutted as anyone to see Carroll go but it's hard to argue that we should have kept him when Ba is scoring far more than he is and we still have over £25m. Time will tell if that gets reinvested or goes to pay off some of what FCB has already put in.

Are you saying we should be trying to borrow more money? Or that he should be putting in money in that even the Halls and Shepherds didn't? I'd like to think that seeing us at the top end of the table will give him ideas and not be in a hurry to sell our best players (which other than Carroll, he hasn't done).

please explain why a club with the 14th biggest turnover in football [and had reached the heights of 8th] need to sell their best players and withhold the money from the manager ?

Not being funny, but this is just soooooo basic, I can't see why people aren't getting it.

005_soooooo_gay_m.jpg

How the fuck has the FCB taken the club back 20 years?! 20 Years ago we were on the brink of relegation to the Third Division! Now we are pushing for CL football, yes, we really are, the table doesn't lie after 23 games.

explained many, many times.

My suggestion to you is : start going to games, open your perspective, and look at how successful clubs become successful.

Explain then; how is pushing for a CL spot the same as nearly getting relegated to Div 3?!

And how is me not going to games going to change that fact? I live hundreds of miles away and work most weekends around seeing my family. Unfortunately I don't live in a nursing home Tyneside. The only thing you have to do other than go to matches is pissing yourself, writing in to Watchdog complaining about the 1p rise in a loaf of bread and writing utter bollocks on Newcastle forums.

stupid boy.

The above juvenile rubbish, is exactly why it is pointless replying to you.

Okay, what I'm about to say it very basic.

We had the 14th largest revenue in European football but still managed to make a loss of £15m. The following season we lost £33m, the one after that we lost £20m.

Regardless of turnover, no club can go on making those sort of losses unless they have a megarich owner prepared to make up the shortfall. Under the previous regime we did not have the owners with the ability or willingness to underwrite those size of losses. Do you understand?

We had the 14th largest revenue in European football but still managed to make a loss of £15m. The following season we lost £33m, the one after that we lost £20m.

Regardless of turnover, no club can go on making those sort of losses unless they have a megarich owner prepared to make up the shortfall. Under the previous regime we did not have the owners with the ability or willingness to underwrite those size of losses. Do you understand?

The players would have played for free in the end if push came to shove though. Just had to be asked nicely. That is how you HOLD ON to your best players. The truly successful clubs have been doing it for years, though it comes as no surprise to me I should have to spell this out to YOU!

If only Leazes was as delighted with the buyout as the Halls and Shepherd were.

...or could see the reasons why. In the words of Hall himself...

“I don’t have as much money as Mike but I would probably be doing the same as him. In my day we were local millionaires such as Jack Walker at Blackburn, Dave Whelan at Wigan and Bill Kenwright at Everton and we put our money into our clubs because we were fans.”

“But now the game is being run by billionaires and for me it is wrong and stupid if any English businessman tries to compete with these billionaires who are coming in and I don’t think are coming in for the right reasons.”

“Ashley has a formula that is working and long may it continue.”
“In my view when Roman Abramovich came in, the game in England changed forever and basically people threw money at it for reasons other than football.”

Of course we could have a turnover of 500m but if costs were 600m we'd be fucked.

The lack of understanding of the difference between turnover and p&l is hilarious.

Also as I've said before we now have 6 clubs with higher incomes so anything better than 7th is actually pretty good going forward. It's certainly better than having the second highest and averaging fifth (or actually tenth in absolute terms)

I'm sure it should be very simple for a financial whizz kid like Mike Ashley, or even you, to do better than the hopeless Fred.

So please tell us how, after 4 years, he hasn't managed to cut costs enough to avoid selling his best players and withholding money from the manager when you have the 14th biggest turnover in world football ? How much more revenues do you need, than to be the 14th biggest in the world, to avoid having to sell your best players and withhold the money from your manager, and decide not to pay the going rate for top footballers in terms of fees and wages ?

Yes, it's basic enough, even for you.

Of course we could have a turnover of 500m but if costs were 600m we'd be fucked.

The lack of understanding of the difference between turnover and p&l is hilarious.

Also as I've said before we now have 6 clubs with higher incomes so anything better than 7th is actually pretty good going forward. It's certainly better than having the second highest and averaging fifth (or actually tenth in absolute terms)

actually, its the lack of understanding of football, from so called knowledgeable football supporters, which is hilarious. Especially ones who are blinded by hatred of people who propelled the club forward massively and are so hypocritical they actually criticise the very people who attracted them and thousands of others back to the club in the first place.

The players would have played for free in the end if push came to shove though. Just had to be asked nicely. That is how you HOLD ON to your best players. The truly successful clubs have been doing it for years, though it comes as no surprise to me I should have to spell this out to YOU!

how embarrassing are you.

Like playing chess with a chimp.

Talking of chimps, hey Gemmill, are you still backing throwing money at Souness ?

:lol:

The flowchart in action, you parody of a man.

why not answer the question, or comment on the clips from the book ?

How embarrassing for an accountant to back the wasting of millions like you did ?

what a shame nobody can actually comment on the clips from the book, instead of derailing the thread with mind-numbing rubbish.

No matter what people say to you, your response always consists of the shortest route to the words "selling our best players". People are bored of playing 7 degrees of Leazes bingo.

Freddy Shepherd...

"I am still a massive Newcastle fan. True to say Mike and I have not always seen eye to eye but you’ve got to give him some of the credit for what is happening this season.”

“I think it’s time for the fans to get fully behind him and give him a chance. After all, no one really owns Newcastle because it’s simply a football institution.”

“Maybe he is right in his policy and I was wrong. Maybe we gave our managers too much money to spend in the transfer market. I reckon we spent around £300M on players like Alan Shearer, David Ginola, Les Ferdinand, Tino Asprilla and Michael Owen.”

“Though we never won anything, it was still a great adventure for everyone connected with Newcastle. We were known all over the world. I have a photo of the day they pulled down Saddam Hussein’s statue in Iraq – there was a guy with a Toon shirt beside it.”

“The fans are now clearly behind Alan Pardew and the team, and if they get behind the directors the only way they can go is up.”
“I am a Geordie. You can change your bank, your accountant, your wife, but you can’t change your football team.”

If you can't do it for us Leazes, do it for Freddy the great.

what a shame nobody can actually comment on the clips from the book, instead of derailing the thread with mind-numbing rubbish.

No matter what people say to you, your response always consists of the shortest route to the words "selling our best players". People are bored of playing 7 degrees of Leazes bingo.

because, it's such a basic and essential ingredient to success in football, it's mind boggling how many self proclaimed intelligent people are unable to grasp it. In fact, it's little short of fucking hilarious.

Freddy Shepherd...

"I am still a massive Newcastle fan. True to say Mike and I have not always seen eye to eye but you’ve got to give him some of the credit for what is happening this season.”

“I think it’s time for the fans to get fully behind him and give him a chance. After all, no one really owns Newcastle because it’s simply a football institution.”

“Maybe he is right in his policy and I was wrong. Maybe we gave our managers too much money to spend in the transfer market. I reckon we spent around £300M on players like Alan Shearer, David Ginola, Les Ferdinand, Tino Asprilla and Michael Owen.”

“Though we never won anything, it was still a great adventure for everyone connected with Newcastle. We were known all over the world. I have a photo of the day they pulled down Saddam Hussein’s statue in Iraq – there was a guy with a Toon shirt beside it.”

“The fans are now clearly behind Alan Pardew and the team, and if they get behind the directors the only way they can go is up.”
“I am a Geordie. You can change your bank, your accountant, your wife, but you can’t change your football team.”

If you can't do it for us Leazes, do it for Freddy the great.

you let yourself down HF, I didn't think you would make juvenile remarks like some of the others like this.

All NUFC fans hope the team wins, all this is, is PR. If people don't agree with my view because it's me saying what I'm saying, why not take notice of Kevin Keegan saying it ?