The Day The Promises Had To Stop

LeazesMag

Aye but it makes you look fucking stupid when you didn't realise the context in which the statement was made tbh. Especially when you explicitly refer to the author of said comment next to it. :lol:

The statement in itself is what I believe. Cassidy's words, in that statement, portray my belief. That's it, as far as I am concerned.

Aye, as you've said. It doesn't make you look any less stupid though. Just so you know.

Like I give a fuck tbh

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapters 6 and 7

Not much here that we don’t know already. He talks about the decision to go PLC, the signing of Shearer, the 5-0 win over Man U, Keegans resignation, the appointment of Dalglish, the injury to Shearer, the “dogs” business, and reaching the FA Cup Final.

He criticises the timing of the announcement to the Stock Exchange as being too close to Xmas, especially as it was going to be a public offering, whereas in 1990 the promise had been made to “democratise the club”. The flotation would now “attract institutional support which would clear the

Clubs debts, redeem the Cameron Hall guarantees, and provide the club with a ‘war chest’ for further

Investment”. It would also continue to hold a majority of shares for the Hall and Shepherd families after the flotation.

This particularly area remains a bone of contention to many people. I bought shares for myself, so personally I’ve no issue with them remaining major shareholders and making decisions, I wouldn’t expect anything else. Does anybody else expect major shareholders to allow minor shareholders to make big decisions about the company ? I had reservations about them backing their managers after going PLC, but it never happened.

He says nothing really about Keegan resigning, other than he was in Australia at the time and he was shocked. He believes the stock market flotation was the driving force behind the hasty decision to appoint Dalglish. Then he was invited to the board as a non-executive director to satisfy one of the requirements of Exchange Listing Rules. Other changes were made to satisfy these rules.

He suspects the roots of Keegans resignation were sown earlier from a conversation he had with John Hall after the 1-0 home defeat by ManU when he wasn’t very pleased, and he was absolutely obsessed with winning trophies. Is this wrong or something, not that I wanted Keegan to go, but what is wrong with wanting to win trophies ? Nevertheless, Keegan also wanted to win trophies, we as supporters wanted to win trophies, he [Cassidy] feels that it could all have been avoided.

He was worried about the changes made by Dalglish in the summer, the selling of Ferdinand and replacement of Tomasson. He appears to say that it was Dalglish’s decision, based on a conversation with Freddie Fletcher when they discussed the possibility of Shearer being injured, before it actually happened. Dalglish rated Tomasson highly.

As the season wore on, he noted along with many others the change from Keegans entertainers into one that struggled to score goals, although John Hall was back to his exuberant self after beating Barcelona.

The “dogs” business came soon after. He said that Fred and Douglas should resign, and was supported by the Chairman of the PLC. Sir John Hall said “you can’t force people who own the club to resign”, and there followed internal bickering. However, they eventually did, although Sir John argued for their retention. I think the seeds for “dislike” that has been shown on a supporter level were were sown at this stage, and superseded everything else they did for the club, sadly, and it would appear that the same thing happened at director level. As I continue reading, we will see.

Aye but it makes you look fucking stupid when you didn't realise the context in which the statement was made tbh. Especially when you explicitly refer to the author of said comment next to it. :lol:

The statement in itself is what I believe. Cassidy's words, in that statement, portray my belief. That's it, as far as I am concerned.

Aye, as you've said. It doesn't make you look any less stupid though. Just so you know.

absolutely.

As Toonspac hasn't actually read the book, I'll expand on his sig when I reach that statement.

Edited by LeazesMag

Guest CabayeAye

Leazes, I don't want to shock you and cause you to piss your slacks, so brace yourself for this:

Some people think that FF And SJH built the club up on tick and the FCB has stabilised it whilst profiting.

Neither is a bad thing, and hopefully the next step will be a Toon loving owner who runs the club not for profit.

Groundbreaking stuff, huh?

Leazes, I don't want to shock you and cause you to piss your slacks, so brace yourself for this:

Some people think that FF And SJH built the club up on tick and the FCB has stabilised it whilst profiting.

Neither is a bad thing, and hopefully the next step will be a Toon loving owner who runs the club not for profit.

you are a hopeless case.

you are a hopeless case.

And you're an arrogant obnoxious blowhard. But you already knew that, didn't you?

Chapters 6 and 7

Not much here that we don’t know already. He talks about the decision to go PLC, the signing of Shearer, the 5-0 win over Man U, Keegans resignation, the appointment of Dalglish, the injury to Shearer, the “dogs” business, and reaching the FA Cup Final.

He criticises the timing of the announcement to the Stock Exchange as being too close to Xmas, especially as it was going to be a public offering, whereas in 1990 the promise had been made to “democratise the club”. The flotation would now “attract institutional support which would clear the

Clubs debts, redeem the Cameron Hall guarantees, and provide the club with a ‘war chest’ for further

Investment”. It would also continue to hold a majority of shares for the Hall and Shepherd families after the flotation.

This particularly area remains a bone of contention to many people. I bought shares for myself, so personally I’ve no issue with them remaining major shareholders and making decisions, I wouldn’t expect anything else. Does anybody else expect major shareholders to allow minor shareholders to make big decisions about the company ? I had reservations about them backing their managers after going PLC, but it never happened.

He says nothing really about Keegan resigning, other than he was in Australia at the time and he was shocked. He believes the stock market flotation was the driving force behind the hasty decision to appoint Dalglish. Then he was invited to the board as a non-executive director to satisfy one of the requirements of Exchange Listing Rules. Other changes were made to satisfy these rules.

He suspects the roots of Keegans resignation were sown earlier from a conversation he had with John Hall after the 1-0 home defeat by ManU when he wasn’t very pleased, and he was absolutely obsessed with winning trophies. Is this wrong or something, not that I wanted Keegan to go, but what is wrong with wanting to win trophies ? Nevertheless, Keegan also wanted to win trophies, we as supporters wanted to win trophies, he [Cassidy] feels that it could all have been avoided.

He was worried about the changes made by Dalglish in the summer, the selling of Ferdinand and replacement of Tomasson. He appears to say that it was Dalglish’s decision, based on a conversation with Freddie Fletcher when they discussed the possibility of Shearer being injured, before it actually happened. Dalglish rated Tomasson highly.

As the season wore on, he noted along with many others the change from Keegans entertainers into one that struggled to score goals, although John Hall was back to his exuberant self after beating Barcelona.

The “dogs” business came soon after. He said that Fred and Douglas should resign, and was supported by the Chairman of the PLC. Sir John Hall said “you can’t force people who own the club to resign”, and there followed internal bickering. However, they eventually did, although Sir John argued for their retention. I think the seeds for “dislike” that has been shown on a supporter level were were sown at this stage, and superseded everything else they did for the club, sadly, and it would appear that the same thing happened at director level. As I continue reading, we will see.

That bit highlights your ignorance, if the minor shareholder happens to be the Chairman, yes they make the major decisions, and it happens all the time. The Chairman is in charge of EVERYTHING day to day, hiring, firing, aquiring new assetts etc.Just keep the share price OK and the Dividends rolling in and a majority shareholder will not even show his face.

He's doing a shite job at that mind.

Those two words should have followed "tick".

Chapters 6 and 7

That bit highlights your ignorance, if the minor shareholder happens to be the Chairman, yes they make the major decisions, and it happens all the time. The Chairman is in charge of EVERYTHING day to day, hiring, firing, aquiring new assetts etc.Just keep the share price OK and the Dividends rolling in and a majority shareholder will not even show his face.

not reading the book at all shows your ignorance. Cherry picking the last year or so from a "reign" only shows your stupidity too. When your man gets anywhere near matching those champions League and european qualifications, your arse licking may have some credibility.

You also don't understand football at all I'm afraid.

you are a hopeless case.

And you're an arrogant obnoxious blowhard. But you already knew that, didn't you?

I know what makes NUFC tick, and how to succeed on the pitch in football, and it got the club into one of the top clubs in the world, as Stevie has also shown you.

EDit

FWIW, I don't disagree entirely with what CAbayeaye says in this post, only the flak dished out to the people who made the club what it is, the dismissal of their methods which are tried tested and proven in football, and the failure to recognise that Mike Ashley has taken the club back 20 years rather than "stabilise" it. And I'm confident that he will never match the previous regimes league positions and not even attempt to compete with the other big clubs that we ought to be competing with, through operating this sell your best players and replace policy which is here for good while he is here I'm afraid.

Edited by LeazesMag

Guest CabayeAye

How the fuck has the FCB taken the club back 20 years?! 20 Years ago we were on the brink of relegation to the Third Division! Now we are pushing for CL football, yes, we really are, the table doesn't lie after 23 games.

How the fuck has the FCB taken the club back 20 years?! 20 Years ago we were on the brink of relegation to the Third Division! Now we are pushing for CL football, yes, we really are, the table doesn't lie after 23 games.

explained many, many times.

My suggestion to you is : start going to games, open your perspective, and look at how successful clubs become successful.

Leazes, how do you think we should go forward?

I agree that on balance, the Halls and Shepherds were the most successful owners we've had in my lifetime (40 years). I do also think they'd run out of good ideas by the time they sacked Robson and we can agree to disagree on whether or not they would have got us back on track.

There are only four ways I can think of to get back to the peak of those years.

1) Maximise revenue

Full house every fortnight, global advertising/promotion, maximise income from sponsorship (even if that includes unpopular things like Stadium naming rights)

2) Credit

Borrowing money used to be easier, it's a fact. We did it and so did a lot of other clubs. Some still do but we don't anymore.

3) Rich owner

Ashley has put more of his own money into this club than anyone in our history, including the Halls and Shepherds. Why he did it and what his plans are don't change that fact. Unless he decides to bankroll the club or we get bought by someone who does want to, this isn't how we're going to get back to the CL. (It's also not that good for the game IMO)

4) Run it like a miser

This is where we are now IMO. Much more focus on getting value for money and selling when the offer is deemed "too good". I was as gutted as anyone to see Carroll go but it's hard to argue that we should have kept him when Ba is scoring far more than he is and we still have over £25m. Time will tell if that gets reinvested or goes to pay off some of what FCB has already put in.

Are you saying we should be trying to borrow more money? Or that he should be putting in money in that even the Halls and Shepherds didn't? I'd like to think that seeing us at the top end of the table will give him ideas and not be in a hurry to sell our best players (which other than Carroll, he hasn't done).

Well summarised AF, though unfortunately the gap is so big that maximising revenue and using credit are no longer enough to catch up with the top 4/5 imo.

Also, I've just realised that Kate Moss in your avatar looks like she's just finished a bukkake party round at SMO's.

Well summarised AF, though unfortunately the gap is so big that maximising revenue and using credit are no longer enough to catch up with the top 4/5 imo. Also, I've just realised that Kate Moss in your avatar looks like she's just finished a bukkake party round at SMO's.
I can't be arsed with arguing and there are a finite number of options available. I'm genuinely interested in what LM thinks we should do.

I agree that we'll need to do more than one of the options on that list too.

As for the ava...I never realised that Stella Vine was from Alnwick until I left Northumberland!! and from what I've heard (only off popbitch mind) Kate Moss is no stranger to the occasional "plural load"... :o:D

I know what makes NUFC tick, and how to succeed on the pitch in football, and it got the club into one of the top clubs in the world, as Stevie has also shown you.

EDit

FWIW, I don't disagree entirely with what CAbayeaye says in this post, only the flak dished out to the people who made the club what it is, the dismissal of their methods which are tried tested and proven in football, and the failure to recognise that Mike Ashley has taken the club back 20 years rather than "stabilise" it. And I'm confident that he will never match the previous regimes league positions and not even attempt to compete with the other big clubs that we ought to be competing with, through operating this sell your best players and replace policy which is here for good while he is here I'm afraid.

Please expand on the bit in bold.

The bit in green doesn't even make sense you blend!

Guest CabayeAye

explained many, many times.

My suggestion to you is : start going to games, open your perspective, and look at how successful clubs become successful.

Explain then; how is pushing for a CL spot the same as nearly getting relegated to Div 3?!

And how is me not going to games going to change that fact? I live hundreds of miles away and work most weekends around seeing my family. Unfortunately I don't live in a nursing home Tyneside. The only thing you have to do other than go to matches is pissing yourself, writing in to Watchdog complaining about the 1p rise in a loaf of bread and writing utter bollocks on Newcastle forums.

more to the point, i do go to games, i do put my money into the club, i do have an open perspective, I'm don't like Ashley, not one bit, but I don't see how lying in 5th after half the season has gone could be classified as taking the club back 20 years (I'm 35 and my dad started taking me to games when I was 5)

sorry LM even that one is lost on me :dunno: