American Football Thread

Bictor

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still bitter about the Vikings loss to the Packers last week :(. This is the best postseason in a long time, genuinely no idea who's gonna get to the Superbowl!

It was unlucky losing Ponder. Would've been a different game if he was healthy.

Erm, Bronocs or Pats from the AFC, obviously. NFC is a lot different though, all the remaining teams have a genuine chance.

Proper football will rule America one day. Not this rugby with helmets pish. It's not even as good as rugby truly it isn't.

Not gonna happen. The university teams get 100,000 fans going to watch them playing American Football. Can you imagine Team Northumbria getting that many!?

Too many established sports with the big 4 and MMA is quickly becoming no. 5. There's fuck all availability for kids to play footie once they hit 16 unless they get a scholarship at university.

When a kid gets injured in the pitch every other player takes a knee :lol:

Yeah Ponder gets an unfair amount of criticism, he's developing well and works so well with Peterson. I think Broncos will win but it's still close all around. Gonna watch the 3 points at Carrow Road then get ready for more playoff action :D.

I agree Stevie, it's not as good as association football, no one arguing ;). Surprised you don't like the QB role anyway, like darts players but actual athletes.

Oh and on the American 'soccer' side look up Seattle Sounders, their attendances are bigger than most PL teams iirc.

Not gonna happen. The university teams get 100,000 fans going to watch them playing American Football. Can you imagine Team Northumbria getting that many!?

Too many established sports with the big 4 and MMA is quickly becoming no. 5. There's fuck all availability for kids to play footie once they hit 16 unless they get a scholarship at university.

MLS's attendances are higher than the NBA and NHL. European and South American football get a lot of views over there thanks to the Mexican diaspora. Your points fair but MMA isn't at big as 'soccer' over there.

Proper football will rule America one day. Not this rugby with helmets pish. It's not even as good as rugby truly it isn't.

More chance of American football going this way......

American_Football_Guns_and_Balls_TA_Banner.jpg

......than proper football taking off over there, to be honest.

MLS's attendances are higher than the NBA and NHL.

You can't really compare sports played indoors with outdoor sports, it's much less expensive to build a large capacity outdoor stadium than an indoor arena.

Or in the middle? Two Wembley games this year (my teams at one and I'm going :D), but also the MLS has better attendances than the Brasileiro, an increasing standard and America has the largest amount of youth 'soccer' teams in the World. So yeah we're getting more into their football and them more into ours. No harm in it either, not as if there's not room for both.

You can't really compare sports played indoors with outdoor sports, it's much less expensive to build a large capacity outdoor stadium than an indoor arena.

100% correct, but it's still a good statistic, doesn't mean the MLS is more popular but with more kids etc being taken to the MLS since its cheaper/easier to take tickets etc, what are they more likely to grow up watching?

Or in the middle? Two Wembley games this year (my teams at one and I'm going :D), but also the MLS has better attendances than the Brasileiro, an increasing standard and America has the largest amount of youth 'soccer' teams in the World. So yeah we're getting more into their football and them more into ours. No harm in it either, not as if there's not room for both.

As I already said though, post 16 it has fewer teams than most countries. The attendance figures are misleading as to the popularity of the sport. Compare the TV rights and sponsorship deals and you will see that NBA is in a different league of popularity than the MLS

Their Uni teams are filling up with Europeans on scholarships as well. I've toured there and the only team that we lost to in 14 games (including the state champions) had 7 ghanaians trialing for them. We finished fourth in the City schools league. They have a long way to go to catch up to even our outdated grass roots football.

I never compared the two in terms of actual popularity, the MLS is merely getting bigger attendances, and is cheaper, they also have a younger 'core' support. If someone's grown up watching your local MLS team in the ground and the Lakers on tv watching Hollywood eat up the seats to look cool you'll be more inclined to stick with football. Plus the new immigrants from Mexico etc are football mad, and the US mens national teams attendances are better than most European teams(although they'd watch America be represented in tiddlywinks tbf). Never gonna be a national sport but foolish to snub it's growth. Off the topic anyway like.

Indianapolis done good. :D From 2-14 to 11-5 in a season and making the playoffs. Won more games then the fucking Ravens but ended up playing them away in the playoffs, which I'm not bitter about but we're shite on the road. Only annoying thing was Ray Lewis dancing around like a prick before and after the game, Americans actually think this is good and encouraged him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzZbWHjyqJY

Get a decnet offensive line and we're contenders next season. They must fucking hate Andrew Luck the amount of hits he's taken this season. :lol:

Soft as shit these NFL players, what with helmets and pads etc. ;)

Walden has been wearing a splint on his left middle finger.

“I broke it in the Giants game,” said Walden. “It normally happens in cold weather games. It’s the same finger I broke in 2010 against the same exact team - the New York Giants. I don’t even know how I did it, it was just throbbing after the game. It hurt really bad, swelled and an X ray revealed that I had broken it.”

Walden said he knows he could be preventing the finger from healing properly by removing the splint when he doesn’t want it on.

“Yeah – but it’s something that I signed up for. And something great happened the first time I broke it. Hopefully something great will happen again this year, too.”

It’s the right middle finger that’s been broken for Williams; it’s been almost two months for this injury.

“A tendon popped, tore off a bone and it’s crazy you don’t even notice that stuff when you’re wired up in a game,” said Williams. “I didn’t notice until I tried to open my hand up – and my hand wouldn’t open up all the way.

“You may have bones that feel broken and you’re like, aw, I’ll worry about it after the game. That happens all the time.”

GO PACK GO as they say

Edited by Toonpack