The summer window 2012

Park Life

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once Smith's wages are off the books, we'll have enough to get a decent CM in.

I think the RW is weak as fuck, front to back. Simpson is a decent sub, we should be looking for a top full back. I think Santon is more than decent enough.

CB, RW, FB, CM, in that order.

Think that order is spot on.

I'd like to see the back of Xisco in particular. I suspect Guthrie and Simpson may elect to leave. Lovenkrands and Smith will go as their contracts terminate. I'd like to see a top RW, LB and CB come in with Santon moving to RB. I don't want any of our stars to get sold but I suspect Ba may go.

Thought Xisco was long gone?

Signed a new 5 year contract the other day, wasn't mentioned as much as Colo and Krul's new deals.

I think the RW is weak as fuck, front to back. Simpson is a decent sub, we should be looking for a top full back. I think Santon is more than decent enough.

I would say an efficient (produces regular assists) winger is more of a priority than CB, simply because S Taylor will be fit again and he is capable of a solid partnership with Colo. We don't desperately need a centre half for the first team, but we do require backup of a higher quality than Willo.

I would therefore say a RW and a FB for the first team should be a bigger priority than CB.

I'd like to see the back of Xisco in particular. I suspect Guthrie and Simpson may elect to leave. Lovenkrands and Smith will go as their contracts terminate. I'd like to see a top RW, LB and CB come in with Santon moving to RB. I don't want any of our stars to get sold but I suspect Ba may go.

Thought Xisco was long gone?

Signed a new 5 year contract the other day, wasn't mentioned as much as Colo and Krul's new deals.

:lol:

I would say an efficient (produces regular assists) winger is more of a priority than CB, simply because S Taylor will be fit again and he is capable of a solid partnership with Colo. We don't desperately need a centre half for the first team, but we do require backup of a higher quality than Willo.

I would therefore say a RW and a FB for the first team should be a bigger priority than CB.

I know why you think that but you're wrong. Mainly because S Taylor rarely completes a season and has a couple of injuries that could cripple him again. Williamson is one of the weakest players in the squad, again at fault today. We need a powerful and confident CB to complement the other players we have. If Pardew can fit Ben Arfa in to the right of his formation then we probably don't need a RW but its a big weakness. People overplay the importance of a FB because the very best are so good they can win you games. Our best FB in years may have won us a home match against Forest but that's about it. We could have done with a left footer overlapping Jonas today but quite simply RTaylor and Williamson were the weakest spots in the side today and have been the most frequently.

I know why you think that but you're wrong. Mainly because S Taylor rarely completes a season and has a couple of injuries that could cripple him again. Williamson is one of the weakest players in the squad, again at fault today. We need a powerful and confident CB to complement the other players we have. If Pardew can fit Ben Arfa in to the right of his formation then we probably don't need a RW but its a big weakness. People overplay the importance of a FB because the very best are so good they can win you games. Our best FB in years may have won us a home match against Forest but that's about it. We could have done with a left footer overlapping Jonas today but quite simply RTaylor and Williamson were the weakest spots in the side today and have been the most frequently.

I know why you think I'm wrong, but actually it is YOU who is wrong. You mention that Taylor 'rarely completes a season', implying that he is perhaps someone prone to injuries, or, in cruder terms, a crock. I remember a previous discussion on this forum where the likes of Marveaux, Santon, and Ba were similarly described, and you--being the perspicacious and supposedly well-hung intellectual behemoth that you are--argued against this assertion, claiming that such statements were the result of a phenomenon known as 'cognitive dissonance', whereby people were attaching an ill-founded narrative to a player ('he's a crock') because of a series of unrelated instances (injuries) that were merely a stroke of misfortune.

Now, there are two possibilities here: either you believe that in S. Taylor's case his injuries are somehow related and he therefore warrants the judgement of being an injury-prone player, or alternatively, you are full of shit.

With regard to fullbacks, I would be more concerned about their defensive ability over their ability to win us a game. R. Taylor and Simpson are weak defensively, and it is too soon to establish Santon's ability (my first impression is that he is powder-puff when defending, with the emphasis firmly on puff). There is truth to what you say on this issue though, and on reflection I would agree that a CB is more important than a FB (but not a RW) as things stand.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

Or he just rarely completes a season. And we only have 2 players who can play there. Meaning we need a new CB.

I do think one or two of Taylor's injuries are the sort that will persist. His fucked shoulder was operated on after going twice. I dont think he is a crock though, otherwise i would have said it and my point has nothing to do with that, just looking at his career stats suggests we need more than 2 CBs.

We have more than two players who can play, and have played, at CB:

1. Colo

2. S Taylor

3. Perch

4. Williamson

I have put numbers next to the names of these players to make it easier for you to count, as you appear to have trouble passing number twos. Maybe a little fibre would help, shredded wheat is good.

You don't think Taylor is a crock, but you think he has injuries that will persist and that he is unlikely to complete a season. Here the term cognitive dissonance would be more appropriate: "Cognitive Dissonance is the feeling of uncomfortable tension which comes from holding two conflicting thoughts in the mind at the same time."

It will be interesting to see who Pardew targets for CB, if he will go for someone to compete for a first-team place or a squad player with more quality than our current backup.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

We have more than two players who can play, and have played, at CB:

1. Colo

2. S Taylor

3. Perch

4. Williamson

I have put numbers next to the names of these players to make it easier for you to count, as you appear to have trouble passing number twos. Maybe a little fibre would help, shredded wheat is good.

You don't think Taylor is a crock, but you think he has injuries that will persist and that he is unlikely to complete a season. Here the term cognitive dissonance would be more appropriate: "Cognitive Dissonance is the feeling of uncomfortable tension which comes from holding two conflicting thoughts in the mind at the same time."

It will be interesting to see who Pardew targets for CB, if he will go for someone to compete for a first-team place or a squad player with more quality than our current backup.

read from a dictionary? dissonance see disassociation much more applicable in psycholological or socio displacement perspective terms

i'd like to see a new right winger, Lee Chung-yong (if Bolton are demoted, should be less competition due to his injury this season)

right back Kyle Naughton (if Tottenham are willing to sell, been out on loan this season, done extremely well on left as well as the right)

and centre half brought to the club and no major outgoings. Douglas Franco Teixeira (From Twente, out of contract in the summer, Tiote should know him well)

First priority must be a centre back. Ideally someone that could also play fullback as an option. Then a fullback, a winger, and a holding midfielder who can play while Tiote is away/injured/banned.