Budget 2012

Christmas Tree

Not to get all CT but what more would people have liked from the budget?

Never going to happen but an admission that the only way to growth is an increase in demand sourced by government. For example Cameron is talking of a new airport but he'll want it to be private - that and other schemes like it would get things going better than giving a few quid out which won't.

I would also say that this shows what I've always said - if a Tory government had had the tax boons from growth that Labour had, they would have given it all to the rich as tax cuts - the idea they would have kept it for for when the shit hit the fan is absolute shite.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's no surprise that the tories - who's front bench are all millionaires - don't give a toss about the poor.

You do realise that quite a few of the shadow cabinet are all millionaires. IIrc Millibands ill gotten house is worth about two mill.

Not to get all CT but what more would people have liked from the budget?

Never going to happen but an admission that the only way to growth is an increase in demand sourced by government. For example Cameron is talking of a new airport but he'll want it to be private - that and other schemes like it would get things going better than giving a few quid out which won't.

I would also say that this shows what I've always said - if a Tory government had had the tax boons from growth that Labour had, they would have given it all to the rich as tax cuts - the idea they would have kept it for for when the shit hit the fan is absolute shite.

Oh give over. :lol:

Quite a few examples were given today of savings due to early Afghan withdrawal etc and they are using the money to pay down the debt not give it away.

Lets not forget the Tories are raising the pension by a fiver next week, taking armed forces on duty out of liability for poll tax and taking the lowest tax payers out of tax all together.

Bit of perspective would be nice and I expect more from you!!!

what would I like? well I would like to see less boons for large corporations and the super rich. What benefit to the country is a a tax break for them? "It encourages them to stay and invest" is the line I hear most and it's not entirely without merit, but hows about incentivising investment, rather than leaving it up to their goodwill. Companies are in business to increase profit, they're not going to start throwing cash around because it's not in their interest.

and the super rich who're getting a £40k tax break, this break won't make their minds up for them, £40k isn't a sufficient incentive to stay or go for them. Those 14k millionaires could easily do without £40k where as the people hardest hit, although stung for a smaller amount, are already stretching their budgets as best they can.

What I want is a sense of fairness, sure we shouldn't Punish the successful, but they don't need molly coddling either. Of course we shouldn't give money hand over fist to the poor, but neither should we expect them to tighten their belts further when people on comfortable wages are unaffected.

I'd slash the size of the military splitting the RAF between Army and Navy, I'd use prisoners as an indentured labour force, I'd divide the country's rail network into three rolling stock operators and one track and infrastructure management company (the contracts for which are bought from the government), I'd treat the NHS as a service rather than a profit-making company and spend less time and money on middle management who're obsessed with quotas and stats and more on training and equipment. I'd financially punish frivolous lawsuits. I'd return a form of national service (not military necessarily, police admin, fire serve, RNLI, council etc.) for kids between the ages of 13-16. I'd reduce benefits but raise the minimum wage so that it's no longer more financially worthwhile to be out of work than in it. I'd reduce the freedom of faith schools to preach intolerance and ignorance.

I'd do many things that would never ever happen because you're all a bunch of namby pamby right wing, communist nazis and nothing is ever going to change.

Definitely a fair few "I don't like the Conservatives so I don't like anything they do ever"'s in here. Understand the 50p to 45p since it didn't earn anywhere near what it was meant to and will hopefully bring some competitiveness with it. Other than that nothing that's too great or bad either way, I heard some people at Uni giving it the big 'un as if the new budget means we're going to be 3rd world eating shit out of a shoe come 2013. What the fuck did they expect? :lol:. Good about the tax threshold mind.

Bet Theresa May guzzles.

The stuff about the 50p tax rate not bringing in anything like whatit was supposed to is bullshit. They haven't even looked at the tax returns yet man. Also, the argument offered is "You see what happened is, they all just brought forward their income so that they snuck it in before the tax rate went up, so it didn't bring that much in." Well in that case keep the thing in place cos they won't be able to do that again this year will they. That's not an argument for scrapping the fucking thing. Also get out and audit the twats that were doing this to make sure it's all above board. Don't just go "Oooo you naughty clever little rich kids. Here we'll not charge you that again."

The scrapping of the 50p tax rate is of course partly down to ideology and it's one that I agree with tbh. The fact that it is only raising an extra billion in revenue is hardly justification for removing it. However, there are plenty out there who are happy to criticise the removal of the 50p tax rate while also defending the right of these millionaires to receive their child benefit.

The 'granny tax' is simply bringing the over-65's tax rules into line with the rest of us, no one is going to be less well off immediately and it seems like a logical simplification of the tax rules.

CT can you tell me how often miilionaire buys a £2m house compared with how often they get paid?

The idea that closing a few loopholes (which they'll get around anyway) will in any way raise money shows how gullible the cunt thinks we all are.

Also on "trickle down" - the reason the rich are rich is because they don't spend money - if you give anyone on this board 40k they'd go on a fuck off holiday or buy a daft car (not counting mortgage pay-off as that doesn't apply to the rich) - if you give 40k to someone who's rich they stick it in the bank and wank over their statements - it doesn't go back into the economy at all (as the banks won't use it now either).

Less than 3,000 properties of over 2m were sold last year. This is not a robin hood budget. It's a Tory budget with one or two small concessions, proving beyond doubt that the Tories are the butch and the lib dems the bitch in this coalition.

I'm talking about 14,000 millionaires getting a tax break at the very same time 323,000 families who were already struggling, now bereft of tax breaks.

The families who will lose tax breaks are those with a member earning over £50k and even then it isn't totally taken away until they earn £60k. I can't say that I feel too bad about someone earning £60k not getting any child benefit.

The middle classes will be some of the biggest losers in this budget, which is ironic given they're a key voter group. Someone earning 60k in london with four kids for example.

Tax on alcohol has risen 40% since 2008...that's utterly ridiculous considering supermarkets are still allowed to sell it on the cheap.

Fuel to rise another 4p per litre from August...

Is this a snide way to cut drink driving or just utter bullshit?

Tax on alcohol has risen 40% since 2008...that's utterly ridiculous considering supermarkets are still allowed to sell it on the cheap.

Too many of the big boys in Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys etc have their noses in the government and as Tesco are the largest employer in the UK they have a bloody large influence.

Its stupid. Booze should be cheaper in pubs with restricted opening hours and booze in the shops should be higher. Its cheaper to buy some booze than it is a bottle of water! WTF!

"You see what happened is, they all just brought forward their income so that they snuck it in before the tax rate went up, so it didn't bring that much in." Well in that case keep the thing in place cos they won't be able to do that again this year will they. That's not an argument for scrapping the fucking thing. Also get out and audit the twats that were doing this to make sure it's all above board. Don't just go "Oooo you naughty clever little rich kids. Here we'll not charge you that again."

I'm glad it wasn't just me thinking that, thought I misheard at first. Absolute bollocks.

Has anyone seen a measure-by-measure breakdown on what each move is expected to raise / cost?

Too many of the big boys in Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys etc have their noses in the government and as Tesco are the largest employer in the UK they have a bloody large influence.

Its stupid. Booze should be cheaper in pubs with restricted opening hours and booze in the shops should be higher. Its cheaper to buy some booze than it is a bottle of water! WTF!

It's always a sad sight to see a boarded-up pub, especially ones you've had a drink in. What's communal about buying a few cans in tesco and drinking them in front of the telly?

I'm lucky in that I go to my local (one where I used to work) that's a 7 minute walk away every now and then and it's still ticking over well enough but definitely won't be much longer.

Mind you, not that many pubs in central london are under threat with the city salaries. Unfortunately it's them that the politicians frequent so they won't give a shit if a 50-year old local village pub can't afford to stay open.