Ed Miliband

TheTaffer

If Labour had a stronger leader this wouldn't even be a proper debate, Labour would be winning by a landslide - I'm really disappointed with how weak Milliband looks. He should be making the public aware of the economic reasons why austerity doesn't work, and telling them how many millions of jobs we'll lose if we pull out of Europe. Instead, he's saying similar things to DC as he doesn't want to risk attempting to turn public opinion and having it blow up in his face.

On the plus side, the political split in the left (Lib Dem vs Labour) shouldn't continue much longer; I would think Labour will win a couple of million Lib Dem voters this time.

Edited by Rayvin

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cameron had the potential to actually be a half decent PM and I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. The election of Ed Miliband as Labour leader im my mind put him in a position whereby Labour couldn't win the next election, the Tories could only lose it...

And losing it they are - in a massive way.

Horrifically damaging week for the Tories - their majority stance on the same-sex marriage bill was severely damaging and Gove's u-turn on GCSE replacement, following the u-turn on the award of the West Coast Mainline contract is a total disaster for them.

I don't personally rate the Milliband / Balls combination - but it's a damned sight more palatable than Cameron / Osborne. And the Tories only have themselves to blame for this one!

Don't follow your logic re the Gay vote.

A lot of those who voted against it are from dyed in the wool old fashioned Tory Heartland. They will romp back in.

All that matters in any election are the floaters and anyone thinking this is called one way or the other this far out is either dim or knows little about political elections.

If Labour had a stronger leader this wouldn't even be a proper debate, Labour would be winning by a landslide - I'm really disappointed with how weak Milliband looks. He should be making the public aware of the economic reasons why austerity doesn't work, and telling them how many millions of jobs we'll lose if we pull out of Europe. Instead, he's saying similar things to DC as he doesn't want to risk attempting to turn public opinion and having it blow up in his face.

On the plus side, the political split in the left (Lib Dem vs Labour) shouldn't continue much longer; I would think Labour will win a couple of million Lib Dem voters this time.

Couldn't agree more with this.

A lot of those who voted against it are from dyed in the wool old fashioned Tory Heartland. They will romp back in.

All that matters in any election are the floaters and anyone thinking this is called one way or the other this far out is either dim or knows little about political elections.

You don't think that this issue reflects badly on the conservative party as a whole? You seem to be the one that doesn't get election history to me. Ffs, the way you were going on last election and the conservatives couldn't even win against one of the most unpopular PMs ever following on from the worst economic crash in living history.

You live in a bubble of delusion.

CT has a point here. The issue may affect some London marginals but it certainly wont make a difference in the SE as a whole.

It's a measure of how dreadful the sitting government is that you're having to talk about floating voters given that the opposition is extremely weak.

Did the floaters matter in '97? Or in '83 for that matter? You don't half come out with some clap trap!

You don't think that this issue reflects badly on the conservative party as a whole? You seem to be the one that doesn't get election history to me. Ffs, the way you were going on last election and the conservatives couldn't even win against one of the most unpopular PMs ever following on from the worst economic crash in living history.

You live in a bubble of delusion.

You miss the point.

A lot of these Tories are doing exactly what the people who elected them, want them to do.

It's a measure of how dreadful the sitting government is that you're having to talk about floating voters given that the opposition is extremely weak.

Did the floaters matter in '97? Or in '83 for that matter? You don't half come out with some clap trap!

Landslides are rare events.

There will be so little policy difference between both parties that it will be very tight.

I think it will be one of the nastiest, mud slinging, down and dirty elections in years. Can't wait tbh.

CT, labour have had a consistent double point lead over the conservatives for months now. A conservative majority next election looks pretty unlikely. This is a really unpopular government: a fact you seem oblivious to.

You miss the point.

A lot of these Tories are doing exactly what the people who elected them, want them to do.

The differences on what should decide the election are fuckin huge at the moment, possibly bigger than at any time since Thatcher shuffled off. Labour knew that the best way out of the recession was a Keynesian route where huge amounts of public money should be spent in order to support the economy, which before they lost power was producing a hugely more significant recovery than anything the Tories have achieved since, For me Brown and Darling had it going in the right direction. All the Tories had to offer was their own ideologically driven mantra; "cut the debt and go fuck yourself if you don't like it or cant survive it". This has the economy flatlining at best and Gideon is having to borrow even more money to prop things up, the diametric opposite of what he set out to achieve. Thing is, elections are decided on the personality on the person wanting to be PM. At this rate no one will bother to vote for either party such are the complete fuckin non entities leading both of them.

The differences on what should decide the election are fuckin huge at the moment, possibly bigger than at any time since Thatcher shuffled off. Labour knew that the best way out of the recession was a Keynesian route where huge amounts of public money should be spent in order to support the economy, which before they lost power was producing a hugely more significant recovery than anything the Tories have achieved since, For me Brown and Darling had it going in the right direction. All the Tories had to offer was their own ideologically driven mantra; "cut the debt and go fuck yourself if you don't like it or cant survive it". This has the economy flatlining at best and Gideon is having to borrow even more money to prop things up, the diametric opposite of what he set out to achieve. Thing is, elections are decided on the personality on the person wanting to be PM. At this rate no one will bother to vote for either party such are the complete fuckin non entities leading both of them.

This^ Well put indeed, sir.

Really? The Spectator? :pmsl:

Regardless whether its me, the spectator or Red Times, the point is still the same.

Labour are running scared of putting forward any policies as their strategy so far has been say no to every cut.

They know as soon as they put up some bones, never mind the meat on them, they will be there for the taking.

This happened in 1992 and Labour shot themselves in the foot so are naturally desperately trying to avoid it this time.

The day will come though :)

Regardless whether its me, the spectator or Red Times, the point is still the same.

Labour are running scared of putting forward any policies as their strategy so far has been say no to every cut.

They know as soon as they put up some bones, never mind the meat on them, they will be there for the taking.

This happened in 1992 and Labour shot themselves in the foot so are naturally desperately trying to avoid it this time.

Couldn't disagree more

You should take a look at the work Jon Cruddas has been doing. It will be interesting to see how the manifesto turns out but with Cruddas as head of the policy review I expect it to be nothing short of brilliant

With regards to cuts and the economy, the longer we get no growth the more receptive the public will start to become to any sort of alternative. I agree Balls isn't a particularly loveable guy but he knows what he's talking about

You don't half talk shit CT. Iirc the tories sole policy in opposition was to match Labour in spending. It's far too early to set detailed policy now as this will be a full term (Cameron knows he would lose an election any time soon). The general gist that labour would relax austerity and promote growth is not a secret and will be massively popular. We need this policy now, even the IMF agrees.

Edited by Renton

Couldn't disagree more

You should take a look at the work Jon Cruddas has been doing. It will be interesting to see how the manifesto turns out but with Cruddas as head of the policy review I expect it to be nothing short of brilliant

With regards to cuts and the economy, the longer we get no growth the more receptive the public will start to become to any sort of alternative. I agree Balls isn't a particularly loveable guy but he knows what he's talking about

It makes no difference how brilliant you would like to be if you have not got the money to carry it out.

If for one minute you think this fellow is going to come up with a plan that will suddenly boom the economy without massive borrowing or taxation that has escaped all the best minds to date then I would love you to say what you think it might be.

You don't half talk shit CT. Iirc the tories sole policy in opposition was to match Labour in spending. It's far too early to set detailed policy now as this will be a full term (Cameron knows he would lose an election any time soon). The general gist that labour would relax austerity and promote growth is not a secret and will be massively popular. We need this policy now, even the IMF agrees.

Do you know what "relaxing austerity" means?

No he isnt Schooling needs a receptive audience CT is the Leazesmag of politics he won't listen to arguments or reason he'll just repeat the same bollocks over and over again.

You are as thick as each other tbf.

No one has yet put up any sound argument against anything I have said.

(Apart from NJS who agrees with me that the gay revolt won't make virtually a scrap of difference to the election).

I love all this nasty Tories rhetoric as well from supporters of a party that ignored millions who took to the streets to protest against an illegal war based on Blair and his cohort lies.

Then there's all the dodgy PFI'S deals for their mates that are crippling virtually every NHS trust in the country.

Laughable.

You are as thick as each other tbf.

No one has yet put up any sound argument against anything I have said.

(Apart from NJS who agrees with me that the gay revolt won't make virtually a scrap of difference to the election).

I love all this nasty Tories rhetoric as well from supporters of a party that ignored millions who took to the streets to protest against an illegal war based on Blair and his cohort lies.

Then there's all the dodgy PFI'S deals for their mates that are crippling virtually every NHS trust in the country.

Laughable.

:lol: People have been putting the alternative, logical argument to your flawed one on here for literally years now. And still you keep the insane rhetoric up that there is no alternative. Bonkers.

Edited by Renton