Out and In

2bias

have you seen tavernier play?

A couple of clips but not a full 90 mins. Going by what Pardew is saying though there is nothing between him and Simpson in training. The guy has played over 50 games now on loan too.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of clips but not a full 90 mins. Going by what Pardew is saying though there is nothing between him and Simpson in training. The guy has played over 50 games now on loan too.

and simpsons played more than that in the PL

training is one thing, his PL experience will make a world of difference in a match

Honestly, hes played nearly every game for us for 3 years and people are desperate to get rid of him

and simpsons played more than that in the PL

training is one thing, his PL experience will make a world of difference in a match

Honestly, hes played nearly every game for us for 3 years and people are desperate to get rid of him

Personally for me he is a "good" player mate but I don't think he is a "quality" player. Santon is 21 and he already shows signs of becoming ten fold what Simpson now is. Simpson gives nothing going forward and his crossing is woeful. If were a club seriously looking at establishing ourselves as a top 5/6 club then we need someone with a bit more quality. Just my opinion mate.

None of the Outs should come from the current crop of players being used. Majority should be players at the end of their contracts - Smith and Lovenkrands. Guthrie should be re-signed, I think we'd struggle to replace him with someone of equal quality without spending a fair amount. However if we were to sign Sigurdsson for example, we could let Guthrie leave. Xisco surely won't be coming back, nor will he be leaving, hopefully he'll continue his loan spell at Deportivo. They're on top of the Segundo table so will likely be back in the Spanish top flight next season, though it doesn't look like Xisco has played much of a part in that.

On the In front we need to strengthen our options in defense - this does not involve getting rid of Danny Simpson. Instead we should be looking to sign a dedicated left back (preferably left footed) andthen letting Snaton compete with Simpson for the right back position. Central defense obviously also needs attention with Steven Taylor's penchant for injury and Mike Williamson's nervousness on the ball we don't have much cover.

We also should strengthen our wide options in midfield with only Jonas, Ben Arfa, Obertan and Marveaux available there.

We also need to consider the Africa Cup of Nations depatures of Ba, Cisse and Tiote (assuming they are all still at the club), during that period we will require cover up front. I'd rather not be relying on Best and Ameobi for that.

1. xisco and smith would reportedly free up 120,000/ wk wages, additions after that rather than thinning the squad , harper maybe though he,s been a great servant to the club, lovenkrands end of contract too methinks

The problem with Simpson is he can only play effectively at RB. Not a good player to have on the bench. Santon on the other hand can cover L/RB and also play a midfield role. If Simpson isn't starting it'd be better to get a more versatile player in his place.

Simpson has played at left back before and hasn't been particularly worse than when playing on the right.

Aye, makes total sense to let more of our squad leave when we're gonna have more games next season. The likes of Simpson, Williamson, Guthrie and Best we should keep

Doesn't matter if we have more games we can still only have 25 bods. If you look mate we have over 30 at the minute that's why in my opinion I would let a lot of average players go to free up some wages to get in better quality.

Are you counting U18s? U18s don't count towards the squad list.

Why someone would suggest getting rid of eight players and getting in four is beyond me.

No one should leave apart from Smith. And anyone we aren't using who is saleable. ie. Xisco

Actually I'd be perfectly happy if just those two left. Everyone else is useful or young enough to potentially develop.

Edited by toonotl

The club have said they want a smaller squad with more quality. We have a lot of players we don't need. Fortunately a lot of them are coming to the end of their contracts. Everyone seems pretty split on the Simpson argument, I don't think he has the quality to be in a top 5/6 team and I don't think he offers anything going forward. I know a couple of you say "he has been the most consistent player in the last three years" one of those in the Championship, one of those we thought we'd be fighting for relegation and this year we were hoping on a top half finish. My opinion mag to grid get rid.

Get rid of xisco, smith, lovenkrands and other dead wood that shouldn't be near the first team. Replace them with players that go straight into the first team. Over to mr Carr for that one. We won't be signing the big name players that agents are touting around in the media so no point speculating these days really is there?

The club have said they want a smaller squad with more quality. We have a lot of players we don't need. Fortunately a lot of them are coming to the end of their contracts. Everyone seems pretty split on the Simpson argument, I don't think he has the quality to be in a top 5/6 team and I don't think he offers anything going forward. I know a couple of you say "he has been the most consistent player in the last three years" one of those in the Championship, one of those we thought we'd be fighting for relegation and this year we were hoping on a top half finish. My opinion mag to grid get rid.

This was before European Qualification was looking like a likely outcome.

I don't think we have a lot of players we don't need. Certainly after Smith and Lovenkrands contracts are up that figure is lessened. Hoy Nile Ranger as well and there's not really any more players that you'd want to lose. Best and Perch aren't great, but they'll be on low wages, work hard and will listen to the manager. They're the type of players you want to have if you need to call on them in an emergency. Even Obertan has a place as a genuinely quick player - we can only hope that he becomes a more intelligent player.

Then we have our up and coming players in Vuckic, Ferguson, Abeid, Sam Ameobi, Inman, Tavernier who we should be looking to get more game time for with an increased schedule. The quality will come in brining a new central defender to play alongside Coloccini and a new legitimate left back to faciliate Santon's move to the right.

A front 6 of Ba, Cisse, Jonas, Ben Arfa, Cabaye and Tiote is already strong.

Edited by OTF

This was before European Qualification was looking like a likely outcome.

I don't think we have a lot of players we don't need. Certainly after Smith and Lovenkrands contracts are up that figure is lessened. Hoy Nile Ranger as well and there's not really any more players that you'd want to lose. Best and Perch aren't great, but they'll be on low wages, work hard and will listen to the manager. They're the type of players you want to have if you need to call on them in an emergency. Even Obertan has a place as a genuinely quick player - we can only hope that he becomes a more intelligent player.

Then we have our up and coming players in Vuckic, Ferguson, Abeid, Sam Ameobi, Inman, Tavernier who we should be looking to get more game time for with an increased schedule. The quality will come in brining a new central defender to play alongside Coloccini and a new legitimate left back to faciliate Santon's move to the right.

A front 6 of Ba, Cisse, Jonas, Ben Arfa, Cabaye and Tiote is already strong.

I think we should keep Perch and Obertan. Best seems hit and miss for me and would rather have someone younger like a Jordan Rhodes. I can't see Forster staying when he has had a few seasons playing first team football. We got Elliot and Soderberg, I think Harper will retire.

Lettuce be cereal for a moment here, if we get rid of Best we aren't going to be getting Rhodes in as there is no way Ashley or even Pardew for that matter will want to spend more than a couple million on a squad/backup player. Soderberg has already left aswell

Forgot about Soderberg ( my mistake )

Rhodes would be back-up but has potential to be first choice with more PL experience. The guy is awesome.

Lettuce be cereal for a moment here, if we get rid of Best we aren't going to be getting Rhodes in as there is no way Ashley or even Pardew for that matter will want to spend more than a couple million on a squad/backup player. Soderberg has already left aswell

220px-Rhodes,_Gary_(crop).jpg

Rhodes would be back-up but has potential to be first choice with more PL experience. The guy is awesome.

We arent going to be spending more than £3 million for any sort of back-up/bench player, therefore Rhodes is out of the question.

We arent going to be spending more than £3 million for any sort of back-up/bench player, therefore Rhodes is out of the question.

I don't know, Obertan cost £3.5million...

Rhodes may initially join as a back up but he's probably at the same level as Best in terms of contributions he can make to the team. He comes with great potential though unlike Best.

I don't know, Obertan cost £3.5million...

Rhodes may initially join as a back up but he's probably at the same level as Best in terms of contributions he can make to the team. He comes with great potential though unlike Best.

That's what my point was. Rhodes is 20 and looks already like he is better than Best. Come Jan and the lads are off to Africa again he could get a decent run in the team.

Obertan was signed to be in the first team, hence why he got a prolonged run in the team at the very start of the season, plus with Barton going he was most likely his replacement.

We arent going to be spending more than a few million on back-up players, hencewhy we never signed a CB in January. It just wouldnt make sense as we've seen how prudent Ashley is about spending money on players. On top of that we've got Best who is a pretty good squad player to have and wont be costing much to keep a hold of.

Obertan was signed to be in the first team, hence why he got a prolonged run in the team at the very start of the season, plus with Barton going he was most likely his replacement.

We arent going to be spending more than a few million on back-up players, hencewhy we never signed a CB in January. It just wouldnt make sense as we've seen how prudent Ashley is about spending money on players. On top of that we've got Best who is a pretty good squad player to have and wont be costing much to keep a hold of.

I still believe Obertan can become good for us. Look at Guthrie, he's come on leaps and bounds this season