If we finish in the top 4.....

Dr Gloom

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We already have a good mix of ages, and you'd expect some of the younger ones to really push on next year.

Colo is the only starter who is not in his 20s or a teenager. And Shola is the only other one in his 30s who'll play for us for the remainder of the season. And both of them only turned 30 themselves in recent months.

Average age of 25-26, which is perfect really. Approaching peak years, plenty of experience already. It's a fairly young squad, all things considered. We're not relying on 31+ year olds like Chelsea (Drogba is 34), Liverpool (Gerrard, almost 32) and Man Utd (Scholes, 37).

Cant be that bad, Chelsea heading into the CL final and Man Utd grabbing the trophy ;) Not bad for a bunch of pensioners.

On a serious note, Ferguson always had a talent for mixing and blooding youngsters while also fielding experienced players and the odd 30`s something here and there for a balanced and fluid transition over the years. Something like that I had in mind.

If we are to play the what if game, you know what you have - but not what you are going to get.

Mike is a wanker, but right now his model is getting us places for peanuts compared to what others are spending to try to break into the top-4.

There is a certain smug satisfaction in that...

The thing is we dont know what kind of owner he is until the summer window closes. Will he sell off half the team or build on it? Hero or zero, time will tell.

Sums up how I feel. I still can't help but think there better owners out there. But you can't argue that his strategy has worked wonders this season, so what do I know? I don't really give a shit how much money is spent and who is sold as long as it produces performances on the pitch - and this current team is the one to feel most proud of in over a decade.

The question now is whether Ashley will be tempted to cash in on his chips while things are looking good for next season. Or will this season's success remotivate him - will we hang on to the key players unless a silly Carroll-esque bid comes in again? Or will he try to rebuild the squad again, selling key senior players along the way? I'll be happy if it's either of the first two options.

Edited by Dr Gloom

I think the next transfer window will be an interesting one in that for the first time in his tenure at the club, I can't imagine any of the players wanting to leave.

Pardew himself says they have a very tight group and I don't think he's lying - no way could the squad with its current limitations be in 4th place at this stage of the season through dumb luck alone. The lads clearly love playing for the club at the moment and with each other (oo-er) and if we do finish in Europe then why leave unless a bigger club has £20m + to spend.

Now we don't *have* to sell, so I don't think we will. Last summer we lost some key first team players but only because Enrique made it well known he'd had enough and wanted out, Barton had finally gone too far with the board, Nolan was wanting one last bumper pay packet etc. Even before that with Carroll going, we got £35m for him, which has helped the club no end by recruiting some great players.

I don't think we'll sell anyone, and I also think Ba will stay but sign a new contract in the window (which means incidentally we won't see a striker come in imo). We'll sign this new CB and a LB and maybe a young midfielder or two for the future, with Abeid and Vukic introduced more into the first team during the friendlies with a view to getting them into the first team on a regular basis.

Every other interview in the paper is a key player saying we shouldn't lose anyone, we need to shake the mentality but unless we get Champions League - which was never on the cards - I doubt we can.

Sums up how I feel. I still can't help but think there better owners out there. But you can't argue that his strategy has worked wonders this season, so what do I know? I don't really give a shit how much money is spent and who is sold as long as it produces performances on the pitch - and this current team is the one to feel most proud of in over a decade.

There are definately better owners out there who care far more about the fotballing side of things. But there are worse ones too, like Venkys etc. or the QPR owners even though their intentions are good. There is a big risk in signing up loads of players on 80 grand a week.

Mikes strategy have worked, yes. But what IS mikes strategy? Spend little money and hope they will come good?

We have built a quality side for peanuts, whether we keep it is another question. For now, everything is rosy though.

Credit to Mike, especially for Cisse in the january window. Good buy that.

We will have to wait over the summer, if we keep all the bodies and get a few defenders in - Ill doff my cap.

In many ways, Ashley is what we have needed for years. He's made some horrendous mistakes along the way, but he has some huge advantages.

The main advantage of Ashley is that he's not emotionally attached the the club. He's not going to be swayed by thoughts of Tiote being mint and needing to be kept at all costs. He knows that any player is replaceable, and promoting a culture that any one player is somehow vital to the team is bad for team morale.

Arsene Wenger has said something similar in the past. He hates to sign players who are massive stars, as he likes to maintain harmony in the squad. Introducing a huge ego who thinks he's better than everyone else is the last thing he'd do. It's probably why Van Persie will be sold on this summer without much in the way of objection from Wenger.

We've had our share too - and they've all gone. Nolan, Barton, Enrique and Carroll all wanted more money to sign a new contract. They thought they were somehow more deserving of a bigger salary than their team mates. Ashley and Llambias disagreed, so they have gone, and the team morale has been maintained.

We appear to be building a team of players who are decent people. When Cisse's second on Saturday was incorrectly ruled offside, he smiled at the linesman and took it well. I much prefer that mentality to the chasing the linesman down, screaming at him or sarcastically clapping him.

If Cisse somehow turns into a massive arsehole and starts pissing his team mates off with his ego, I have no doubts that he'll be out too.

I think the next transfer window will be an interesting one in that for the first time in his tenure at the club, I can't imagine any of the players wanting to leave.

Pardew himself says they have a very tight group and I don't think he's lying - no way could the squad with its current limitations be in 4th place at this stage of the season through dumb luck alone. The lads clearly love playing for the club at the moment and with each other (oo-er) and if we do finish in Europe then why leave unless a bigger club has £20m + to spend.

Now we don't *have* to sell, so I don't think we will. Last summer we lost some key first team players but only because Enrique made it well known he'd had enough and wanted out, Barton had finally gone too far with the board, Nolan was wanting one last bumper pay packet etc. Even before that with Carroll going, we got £35m for him, which has helped the club no end by recruiting some great players.

I don't think we'll sell anyone, and I also think Ba will stay but sign a new contract in the window (which means incidentally we won't see a striker come in imo). We'll sign this new CB and a LB and maybe a young midfielder or two for the future, with Abeid and Vukic introduced more into the first team during the friendlies with a view to getting them into the first team on a regular basis.

that's been one of the most satisfying things about this season. how long has it been since we had a squad that to a man all wear the shirt with pride and work their socks off for each other? it's so refreshing to see - especially after a decade of watching flouncing prima donnas, more concerned about picking up the massive salaries we paid out.

Im not as confident as Ashley that any player is replacable, we need to keep our spine.

i agree with that. you can't rebuild a squad every year and get the results we got this season.

i'd liek to think that won't be the case this summer though, particularly if we do end up in the top 4.

Nothing has changed IMO, his policy is his policy.

He's not going to make a huge return on his investment unless we turn into Man Utd.

With FFP what would a new owner bring to the table??, the days of splashing hundreds of millions you don't have (as a club) are gone (or should be).

I would guess he's loving it just now, doing it his way and being succesful (relatively). Long may it continue.

On the SD thing even if he was using the club as a vehicle, the vehicle has to be better than also rans for it to be really beneficial. SD want to expand into/conquer Europe and then longer term the States (it's in their financial report). He wants it all tbh. For NUFC to help in that NUFC has to be succesful.

As I've said ad naseaum billionaires don't do "run of the mill".

people finally coming round to what I've been saying for years. Quite surprising it actually took a good season on the pitch to propel the realisation though.

The biggest inaccuracy is the phrase "even if", because he is, always has done, and always will. As I explained to you a week ago, when you seemed totally unaware of the advertising all over the roof and stadium for starters. And all they have to do to promote it is to be in the premiership and on TV a reasonable amount of times.

Edited by LeazesMag

Leazes, if we keep our spine in the summer and knock back offers - will you eat humble pie? Surely thats a big letter of intent?

Focus will either then,

a) switch to the January window -"Wait and see what happens THEN!", or;

b ) attempt to take credit for the club "finally doing things the way (he's) always advocated", ignoring his previous predictions that they will "never ever" do things that way because they're only a selling club and a vehicle for SD.

but more than likely some combination of both a and b.

Leazes, if we keep our spine in the summer and knock back offers - will you eat humble pie? Surely thats a big letter of intent?

I've said a few times mate. We should be keeping ALL our best players [unless the manager chooses to let one go] and giving him ALL the money from any sales. We don't need to sell, there is a shitload of the Carroll money left for one thing, so unless a stupid bid comes in [see above] we should tell anybody to fuck off.

I realise players such as Ben Arfa will be a target for the really top world clubs such as Real Madrid, AC Milan etc but if he has to go then, back the manager.

Keep those players, and put 2 players minimum ( 3 if someone has to be sold as described) straight into that team, and then I will start to think he is running the football club the way it ought to be. This is progress.

I'm looking forward to seeing NUFC play abroad, for various reasons I haven't done this before so it will be the first time. I don't know where people get this idea that being realistic means you don't support the club or something. I'm 57, I want that team to succeed big time more than most.

Focus will either then,

a) switch to the January window -"Wait and see what happens THEN!", or;

b ) attempt to take credit for the club "finally doing things the way (he's) always advocated", ignoring his previous predictions that they will "never ever" do things that way because they're only a selling club and a vehicle for SD.

but more than likely some combination of both a and b.

obsessed. I thought you had me on ignore ? Why not ignore then, or answer what you have said is rubbish for years and move on ffs.

In actual fact, your point b IS what I've said for ages, so do you now agree that it isn't the rubbish you've always said it is ? Admit it or give it a rest.

Edited by LeazesMag

obsessed. I thought you had me on ignore ? Why not ignore then, or answer what you have said is rubbish for years and move on ffs.

I wouldn't chomp tbh, no need. It's what's to be expected of the grey man and the so-called forum policeman letting it slide.

I think next season we should definitely keep the team together and give the domestic cups a go. Looking at the teams in the final now we genuinely missed out this year. That'd sure up Europe again and be a massive boost to the team.

In my 20 years as a Newcastle fan I've only seen us win the Intertoto (which we didn't even fucking win outright iirc) and the championship, which isn't really what this club should be settling for with the current crop of players!

I've said a few times mate. We should be keeping ALL our best players [unless the manager chooses to let one go] and giving him ALL the money from any sales. We don't need to sell, there is a shitload of the Carroll money left for one thing, so unless a stupid bid comes in [see above] we should tell anybody to fuck off.

I realise players such as Ben Arfa will be a target for the really top world clubs such as Real Madrid, AC Milan etc but if he has to go then, back the manager

Very few clubs manage or even intend to keep all their best players. There will always be a draft through the club unless you are Barcelona.

Even arsenal lost Clichy, Fabregas and Nasri this summer. Life goes on,it doesnt mean the owner wants to destroy the club.

There is some Carroll money left, but it doesnt mean we will or should spunk it all at once. When you get your salary, do you go out and buy food for a month straight away?

If we lose Tiote this summer for 25 million and proceed to spend 20 million on a CB, a LB and a few 19-20 year old midfielders from Ligue 1 thats a stronger squad in my book - and thats what matters.

From the ashes a new team rises :)

I am glad you realise that when clubs such as Madrid come knocking, players will have to go. Its life.

I wouldn't chomp tbh, no need. It's what's to be expected of the grey man and the so-called forum policeman letting it slide.

I think next season we should definitely keep the team together and give the domestic cups a go. Looking at the teams in the final now we genuinely missed out this year. That'd sure up Europe again and be a massive boost to the team.

In my 20 years as a Newcastle fan I've only seen us win the Intertoto (which we didn't even fucking win outright iirc) and the championship, which isn't really what this club should be settling for with the current crop of players!

we have always missed out like this. Even under Bobby Robson, when we finished 4th, 3rd and 5th, he fielded a weakened at home to West Brom in the League Cup and we were knocked out.

Frustrating. For many years we had a team good enough to win one of these cups, but for various reasons it never happened. The first one is the hardest, Keegan said that and he is right but it would help if they focussed more and put their best team out. We are in 4 competitions next season and while the premiership is obviously a step too far we should be looking to finish in the top positions again and win one of those cups.

we have always missed out like this. Even under Bobby Robson, when we finished 4th, 3rd and 5th, he fielded a weakened at home to West Brom in the League Cup and we were knocked out.

Frustrating. For many years we had a team good enough to win one of these cups, but for various reasons it never happened. The first one is the hardest, Keegan said that and he is right but it would help if they focussed more and put their best team out. We are in 4 competitions next season and while the premiership is obviously a step too far we should be looking to finish in the top positions again and win one of those cups.

Hughton pissed me right off last season fielding a weakened team against Arsenal at home in the League Cup. Had we done them, and I think we could well have at full strength, we'd have had a mint chance to win it. Even doing the Mackems 5-1 days later didn't really soften it my anger at Hughton for that.

Aye.

We've had too many seasons where the players have gone out and not performed against crap but well-organised teams, or we've not taken the cup seriously and gone out early. Wolves sticks out where we had a competitive team at its peak only they dumped us out. I remember listening to it in the car and couldn't believe they'd knocked us out.

We came heartbreakingly close under Dalglish too but have never since offered a good account of ourselves.

You'd think that now Pardew has had a full season implementing his management and getting the players to form a tight unit, we'd be able to embark upon a cup run and actually win something! You never know, it might spur us on to win more and break the rut properly! I think the current team will learn from the defeat at Brighton what it means to play in the cup and how seemingly inferior teams can find that hidden gear and surprise anyone. But when we hit top form we're absolutely lethal, next year could be even better.

people finally coming round to what I've been saying for years. Quite surprising it actually took a good season on the pitch to propel the realisation though.

The biggest inaccuracy is the phrase "even if", because he is, always has done, and always will. As I explained to you a week ago, when you seemed totally unaware of the advertising all over the roof and stadium for starters. And all they have to do to promote it is to be in the premiership and on TV a reasonable amount of times.

Comprehension problems remain I see. What you have been saying for years is unadulterated rubbish.

You state his sole motive is to promote SD, I strongly disagree with that standpoint, if he can get some £££ from someone else for the space/name that the SD branding takes up, he'd take it IMO.

My post is simply stating, "even if" he was using NUFC in that way, NUFC have to be succesful, (way over and above the run of the mill you seem to think is the plan, given SD's strategic direction). So it's a win/win. Symbiosis if you will.

We came heartbreakingly close under Dalglish too but have never since offered a good account of ourselves.

I fully expected to lose that final so it never felt close to me. I couldn't believe we got there - we were fucking shite. The following year the same against the best Man United side I've seen, we had no chance. It was the semi under Bobby when I genuinely thought we could win it. Poyet you cunt.

I fully expected to lose that final so it never felt close to me. I couldn't believe we got there - we were fucking shite. The following year the same against the best Man United side I've seen, we had no chance. It was the semi under Bobby when I genuinely thought we could win it. Poyet you cunt.

He's done the same with Liverpool this season come to think of it. They've been absolutely shite but they've reached two cup finals this season! Although they ended up winning one.

I was gutted when Marseille beat us in the UEFA Cup. Fair enough Drogba was on fire than night but we just didn't turn up for it.

Comprehension problems remain I see. What you have been saying for years is unadulterated rubbish.

You state his sole motive is to promote SD, I strongly disagree with that standpoint, if he can get some £££ from someone else for the space/name that the SD branding takes up, he'd take it IMO.

My post is simply stating, "even if" he was using NUFC in that way, NUFC have to be succesful, (way over and above the run of the mill you seem to think is the plan, given SD's strategic direction). So it's a win/win. Symbiosis if you will.

in an idealistic little world, its a win/win situation. Unfortunately, the ambition is limited, it is easier to make a profit by selling a player than to reach out for the real money that is available. I stand by what I say, you are talking rubbish. You didn't even know about the advertising on the roof and around the ground. A premiership club to promote the company will give it worldwide advertising, they will be happy to retain that.

At some time in the future, they will be advertising it on the shirts [for how much ?], and I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised to see the 2nd strip incorporate the colours either including the red.

As you once said, enjoy the moment, don't lets worry about an admininstration that never happened, any other irrelevant adverse publicity, or boo if we finish 5th rather than 4th.

Lets see what the summer brings eh? There is plenty of money left from player sales and other revenues [or should be in keeping with the 14th biggest in football] to build on this, and qualify for the Champions League and europe for a few more seasons yet to keep the momentum going.