Your Ultimate Rock Track.

Monkeys Fist

I had a mate who was shit at guitar until he was in his 30s, he's very good now. Why give up? Its a great skill to have.

In the blues, the artists are sad about their lives, in hip-hop they're pissed off (generally speaking). Its all about context as YOU said. If you sang 'fuck the police' in 1951 you'd have been hung.

Well actually, my giving up raises a point about communities and culture. I started to play more seriously, practicing a few hours every day. I got to a level where I was ready to start playing with other musicians, only to realise that I didn't know any, and there is no music scene to speak of where I live. Because of technology, I'd been able to grow up listening to music that came from black communities across an ocean many decades before my birth. I may as well be a leper with regard to my listening habits and where I come from. Also, the more I understand about gifted musicians and how great musicians become so, the more I realise my inadequacy in terms of talent. My time would be much better spent reading up on Quackro-economics, which is a new strand of economics developed by Lord Smudgely-Quack of Caerphilly. That will enable me to progress in life, rather than driving a van around Warrington and transcribing obscure blues records in my spare time.

Regarding blues vs hiphop, I admire the black communities of the era when Blues first came about. With the hiphop lot, too much of their culture is grotesque--the blingy bling stuff, the gangrape, the guns puts me off a bit. NWA are funny though.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not fair to say Jazz is dead, it's just drowning under an ocean of pop, r&b, dance etc.

Nicely put

My fave Rock track atm

Edited by AgentAxeman

Well actually, my giving up raises a point about communities and culture. I started to play more seriously, practicing a few hours every day. I got to a level where I was ready to start playing with other musicians, only to realise that I didn't know any, and there is no music scene to speak of where I live. Because of technology, I'd been able to grow up listening to music that came from black communities across an ocean many decades before my birth. I may as well be a leper with regard to my listening habits and where I come from. Also, the more I understand about gifted musicians and how great musicians become so, the more I realise my inadequacy in terms of talent. My time would be much better spent reading up on Quackro-economics, which is a new strand of economics developed by Lord Smudgely-Quack of Caerphilly. That will enable me to progress in life, rather than driving a van around Warrington and transcribing obscure blues records in my spare time.

Regarding blues vs hiphop, I admire the black communities of the era when Blues first came about. With the hiphop lot, too much of their culture is grotesque--the blingy bling stuff, the gangrape, the guns puts me off a bit. NWA are funny though.

Dude, aren't you moving to London? You might find a few more like minded souls there. Also, come on, Joe! Maybe not innovative in blues as such, but flying the flag nonetheless. No 2 in the UK album charts in first week for Driving Towards The Daylight is pretty good considering the shit the British public often buy.

More or less I suppose... the setlist differs whether they are playing in America or over here. Like Joe says, people expect them to play certain hit songs, like Sugar, Hysteria, Animal, Rock of ages. He must get sick of it too! If you listen to his Planet Rock show on Saturdays at 6pm he plays some great music (not hit songs) and every other week he plays a Leppard song that isnt so well known. The Rock of Ages movie is out soon :yucky: where Tom Cruise sings Pour some sugar....god, all the good songs the Leps have done over the years and they choose that one :doh: So because of that DL have released newly recorded versions of Sugar and Rock of Ages.

I dont think Rock is dead, if anything it's experiencing a resurgence. Loads of old bands touring, DL recently toured with Motlery Crue. And there seems to be more rock festivals now than ever! And Lady Gaga is touring with The Darkness!! :o (though not sure if The Darkness is Rock lol)

EDIT.

Bonamental...this was filmed by a fan last night at a little warm up gig by DL. Its for a yuotube show that goes out tonight at 8pm. Considering its their first show for alittle while, I thought they sounded pretty good!!

Nice, yeah, not in bad nick. Although, I really do only know their hits. I will have to remember to look at those other ones you mentioned earlier.

I agree with you on the general state of rock though, although as Chez says there's not much in the way of innovation, there are still loads of good bands, old or reasonably new, still going. And I know it might get a bit samey for some, but I fucking love it, even if its the same sorta chords and progressions etc all wrapped up in different ways. Tried to phrase this next bit a couple of times but don't think I'm going to get it out properly at all: Its rock, it doesn't need to be clever and new and boundary breaking all the time. It can be awesome as good old fashioned balls to the wall stuff, but it can be awesome as Zeppelin were or Floyd or G'N'R when they took it in different directions. Someone will come along and do something new, or at least a new interpretation of what has gone before which is about as good an innovation as I can see happening, but until then, guys like Slash, Black Stone Cherry, Alter Bridge and The Answer are all doing great stuff.

(See, I knew it, that's just an absolute load of nonsense, so here is some Slash:

[media]

)

Me, you and Tom; Toontastic Bluesbreakers.