Can an employer demand your personal mobile number?

ajax_andy

My wife had problem with her boss as they gave her a work mobile but then constantly hassled her at home, including weekends and even arsey texts kicking off about stuff. So much so she was in tears and stressed out for the whole weekend about going to work on the Monday.

Anyway it came to a head and she told her boss she'd not be switching her work phone on outside of work hours and wouldn't be contactable.

All well and good for a couple of months, but now her boss has said she wants her personal number in case of emergencies, but my wife is worried that her boss will just start contacting her about work stuff on it outside of work hours.

Does my wife have to give the boss her personal number? Is there a law that states they must have it for emergencies? I've told her to give her boss my mobile number and she can contact me if it's an emergency.

Short answer no. By the sounds of I'd say def not. Is she a key holder? If so he will need a number.

What you could do is give him your mobile and tell her to state in writing the number has been given for emergencies only.

Important, as it sounds like he is hassling her, get her to document every instance and why etc. also anything in writing keep.

Of course she doesn't HAVE to give her personal mobile number. FFS. I'd get her to get him to ask for it in writing then take it to a solicitor as sue the cheeky twat, unless she's on 100k a year. I think the saying "I'm not paid enough to worry about it" is one of the truest, and unless she's on a ridiculously good salary she shouldn't be worrying about work when she's not there.

Just give him your number anyway. If he ever rings just tell him she's out and take a message

Forgot her boss already has my phone number so there's really no need for her to have my wifes... plus apparently she also has our home phone number too... so clearly she only wants it so she can hassle her with work outside of office hours!!!

Bloody ridiculous!

I've told her not to give it to her but not sure if she'll listen

She doesn't need to be contacted outside of office hours but her boss reckons it's 'part of the job'. Unfortunately it's a really small company and the boss is also the owner so it's not like she can go to HR or anything.

No she's not a key holder, she does have a key but she'd never need to go to the office outside of work hours.

She's not paid particularly well either so to expect her to be contactable 24/7 is unfair.

She also does have to work outside of office hours occasionally at networking events or meetings but these are always planned in advance and she'd not need to be contacted at home about them

What sort of work is she in? Are genuine emergencies a possibility.

I think once you get paid a certain amount and have a certain level of responsibility, then there's an expectation that you'll be contactable outside of work hours, if it's completely necessary. If that's not the case then I would tell them they can't have the number as her previous experience was that it was used inappropriately.

It's good practice for an employer to have employee's personal phone numbers but I'm guessing that legally they can't require it. Maybe she should ask what sort of emergency they're thinking of.

Unless it's stipulated in her contract I would assume she has no obligation to give it, if she does agree to give it, as JawD said, get it in writing, even get it added to a revised contract where it is clearly and more importantly legally stated what situation she can be contacted for - that way you're covering yourself and if she keeps hassling she will be in breach of the contract (surely?)

What sort of work is she in? Are genuine emergencies a possibility.

I think once you get paid a certain amount and have a certain level of responsibility, then there's an expectation that you'll be contactable outside of work hours, if it's completely necessary. If that's not the case then I would tell them they can't have the number as her previous experience was that it was used inappropriately.

Marketing. She gets paid less than £25k a year. There are never any emergencies where she'd need to be contacted, other than maybe her boss arranges a meeting for her over the weekend and she'd have to be there at 8am on the Monday morning maybe, but that kind of thing would be very rare.

Yeah I've said to say that she's not prepared to give it to her boss and to say that her boss already knows the reasons why as they've discussed it in the past and that she's not prepared to discuss it again.

Her boss has my mobile and our house phone so if it was a real emergency she'd be able to get a message to my wife... however I know it's just so she can text or e-mail her stuff like "why haven't you done this", "are you going to have this ready on Monday" etc etc

Tell her to get looking for another job. Once, for whatever reason, a relationship between an owner / employer heads south, particularly in a smaller firm, there is only ever going to be one winner.

Stay and he/she will find other clever ways to make her life hell. The stress isn't worth the few grand she may get from a tribunal somewhere down the line.

Unless it's stipulated in her contract I would assume she has no obligation to give it, if she does agree to give it, as JawD said, get it in writing, even get it added to a revised contract where it is clearly and more importantly legally stated what situation she can be contacted for - that way you're covering yourself and if she keeps hassling she will be in breach of the contract (surely?)

I dont think her boss would do the contract thing tbh... other than to change it to "you must be contactable 24/7 and supply me with your personal number".

I think she's better of just refusing, but my wife doesn't like confrontation so I'm not sure whether she'll do that

Tell her to get looking for another job. Once, for whatever reason, a relationship between an owner / employer heads south, particularly in a smaller firm, there is only ever going to be one winner.

Stay and he/she will find other clever ways to make her life hell. The stress isn't worth the few grand she may get from a tribunal somewhere down the line.

Yeah she's already on the look out and there's a promising lead but until she's found something else I think she needs to stand her ground. Her boss is a nightmare anyway so not sure she could make her life any more hell than it is there.

Reminds me of when my former boss rang me on a saturday afternoon to go into the office to sort something out urgently - I was at the Emirates watching us get beat - he was promptly told to get fucked!

Damn right too!

Tell her boss, any more shit and you'll send the Toontastic boys round ;)

Haha you've never met her boss... she's a proper bitch... I sadly think even the Toontastic boys may end up running away with their tails between their legs :)

I'd negotiate a 'pager support' salary bump if it's not mentioned in my existing contract.....in fact if I was THAT pivotal I'd discuss my current terms and whether a raise isn't warranted even without being on call 24/7.

Doesn't sound like she wants the hassle though so just refuse, if the boss wants to arrange an 8am Monday meeting she should do so before 5.30pm on Friday the bell-end.

Just tell this cow that she can't have the number. Giving her the number and trying to get her to give you in writing that she won't hassle unnecessarily is gonna end up in a bigger argument than just saying no.

Best solution is to tell her you'll turn the work mobile back on and then just leave it in a drawer on silent.

I learnt canny quickly that nothing good comes from checking work emails or taking calls from work outside of work hours. They're never getting in touch to tell you how great you are, or that you can have the next day off.

Just tell this cow that she can't have the number. Giving her the number and trying to get her to give you in writing that she won't hassle unnecessarily is gonna end up in a bigger argument than just saying no.

Best solution is to tell her you'll turn the work mobile back on and then just leave it in a drawer on silent.

I learnt canny quickly that nothing good comes from checking work emails or taking calls from work outside of work hours. They're never getting in touch to tell you how great you are, or that you can have the next day off.

Yeah exactly mate, I told the wife this many times too... work stays at work and sitting reading work e-mails on a staurday isn't healthy, and usually there's nothing you can do about any issues that pop up till the Monday anyway so it just creates stress.

Cheers for the advice lads, I've told her to refuse so we'll see what happens if she does :)