Good Holiday Reads

Gemmill

'Love, sex and Tesco's finest cava' by Steve Carter is an easy reading first book by a bloke who went on flirt/chat sites and is funny as fuck and also spot on if anyone has ever experienced dating sites. It's definitely a good one for hols. :good:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you read The Damned United, Gem? That's a canny holiday read, if not.

Nah but I've seen the film.[/CT]

Someone (might have been Bonamental) mentioned Michael Connelly earlier too. I have read a couple of his I think. He's the Lincoln Lawyer bloke isn't he?

'Love, sex and Tesco's finest cava' by Steve Carter is an easy reading first book by a bloke who went on flirt/chat sites and is funny as fuck and also spot on if anyone has ever experienced dating sites. It's definitely a good one for hols. :good:

Only 2 quid on kindle. I'll give this a blast cheers.

I think I paid about £1.60 for it on my kindle. It's canny enough and you'll find yourself smiling at some bits that ring true that's all I'm saying! :D

It's no X-Factor/Voice/Casualty/basically sat night telly though so you might be a bit disappointed.

Nah but I've seen the film.[/CT]

Someone (might have been Bonamental) mentioned Michael Connelly earlier too. I have read a couple of his I think. He's the Lincoln Lawyer bloke isn't he?

Yes, but that's probably one of his weakest books. The rest of the Mickey Haller ones are much better. Bosch trumps all though. Earlier ones are pretty good.

Whoa, you're not talking to CT now. :razz:

It's about a socially adequate bloke who separates from his Wife and instead of taking up Home Brewing or buying a telescope decides to chat up and date women. I'm not sure if the character reads a lot but as the Author based the Character on himself I'm guessing it's a yes. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Found myself at Tynemouth Metro market this morning (because the car boot sale was off) and was having a nose about the odd folks stalls and then decided to go across to the other platform where there is usally other odd stalls.

To my horror, the other platform was completely full of book stalls :panic:

Every inch of the platform was dedicated to books. Unfortunately our lass wanted a look so I had to stand there in the middle of all of them. I felt like that lass in invasion of the body snatchers just waiting for one of them to point and scream.....Heathen!!!!!!

1bodysnatchers.jpg

Its fair to say they all looked like readers as well. :aye:

Halfway through a Carl Hiaasen and have got the Kindle fully loaded. Anyway this was mostly just to say that I'm off here on Monday and can't wait for work to finish on Friday. :lol:

http://www.grecotel.com/corfu/eva-palace/welcome_94.htm

They better have the fucking football on.

Anyone else got any imminent trips coming up or am I the most special person on here AGAIN?

Halfway through a Carl Hiaasen and have got the Kindle fully loaded. Anyway this was mostly just to say that I'm off here on Monday and can't wait for work to finish on Friday. :lol:

http://www.grecotel..../welcome_94.htm

They better have the fucking football on.

Anyone else got any imminent trips coming up or am I the most special person on here AGAIN?

Just you......

Management seemed belwildered by my objection to having 6 or 7 cats prowling around the restaurant! Amazing. Pool was too cold to get in to and many guests were avoiding it. "Entertainment" in the evening was poor, a butlins style after thought. Poor service especailly around the pool area.. disorganised, grumpy looking staff wearing dirty t shirts.

So jealous :razz:

Edited by Christmas Tree

Love the General managers reply :lol:

On the subject of cats: Yes, the Restaurant terrace is an open area and stray cats do sometimes gather because our guests (animal lovers) often feed them under the tables. I can understand them doing this but it does create some problems for those who do not like them. It is a difficult thing to handle, without being cruel to the animals. We created the Cat Palace for this reason. It is a wooden cat house built into a tree, where we provide water and food for the stray cats. However, the tasty treats on offer at the Restaurant are more attractive than the dry food. There is always the option of dining indoors if one really wants to avoid their presence.

Butlins style entertainment sounds right up your street. If anything a bit too posh. :razz:

I'm not a big enough tit to go and watch the entertainment, and I could produce any number of positive reviews (average 4 out of 5).

So zip it fat cunt.

Butlins style entertainment sounds right up your street. If anything a bit too posh. :razz:

I'm not a big enough tit to go and watch the entertainment, and I could produce any number of positive reviews (average 4 out of 5).

So zip it fat cunt.

:lol:

Tell you what though you dont want to mess with the General Manager :lol: Fucking Basil Fawlty doesnt have a look in!

Read another review from a distraught honeymoon couple who had the nerve to leave poor feed back.

His reply....

I would happily address you by name, as we know exactly who you are, but of course we have to respect the guidelines of Trip Advisor. I will, however, not hesitate to inform all other readers that it took us 1 full day to clean the room after your departure, and 2 days in order to repair the damages that you caused during the few hours that you spent in the room. I personally visited your room on the afternoon after you departed and was shocked at the sight of it; the uncountable cigarette ends on the floor, empty alcohol bottles, blood stains and other 'unpleasant surprises'

Dear me :lol:

Edited by Christmas Tree

Threatening and then writing shit reviews on tripadvisor to score points, bribe hotels etc is increasingly common and has undermined it as a source for many. Hoteliers have struggled how to cope with how to handle the issue.

Threatening and then writing shit reviews on tripadvisor to score points, bribe hotels etc is increasingly common and has undermined it as a source for many. Hoteliers have struggled how to cope with how to handle the issue.

Couldn't they just not allow Tripadvisor to feature their hotel?

The flip side to the arsehole holidaymakers are the hoteliers who leave fake reviews of their hotel. It's a shame that such a potentially useful resource has so quickly become pretty useless.

Aye it used to be great. It's totally misleading now though. Some of the reviews are fucking ridiculous too. That place we are going repeatedly gets marked down for having too many wasps around the pool. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Right. The holiday reads were as follows:

Carl Hiaasen - Tourist Season

Linwood Barclay - Too Close To Home

Harlan Coben - Caught

Harlan Coben - Stay Close

All worth a read apart from the last one. Pick of the bunch was Linwood Barclay, will definitely be reading more of his. Would have got through more books but listened to a load of podcasts too.

Right. The holiday reads were as follows:

Carl Hiaasen - Tourist Season

Linwood Barclay - Too Close To Home

Harlan Coben - Caught

Harlan Coben - Stay Close

All worth a read apart from the last one. Pick of the bunch was Linwood Barclay, will definitely be reading more of his. Would have got through more books but listened to a load of podcasts too.

Gem, if you aint read this one by Linwood Barclay I would highly recommend it. - Fear The Worst

What podcasts you listen to?

Nice one, I'll get on that next cheers.

Podcasts I was listening to:

Smodcast

Tell em Steve Dave

Joe Rogan when he has a decent guest

The Bugle

Jim and Eddie talk shit (only listenable cos of Jim Jefferies, Eddie Ifft is an unfunny arsehole)

The Moth

This American Life

Think that's more or less it.

Nice one, I'll get on that next cheers.

Podcasts I was listening to:

Smodcast

Tell em Steve Dave

Joe Rogan when he has a decent guest

The Bugle

Jim and Eddie talk shit (only listenable cos of Jim Jefferies, Eddie Ifft is an unfunny arsehole)

The Moth

This American Life

Think that's more or less it.

Hmmm might check them out, been looking for some new Podcasts, cheers.