Good Holiday Reads

Gemmill

Hiaasen cowrote some songs with Warren Zevon. This one could have been about Chez:

I'm a junk bond king

And I'm on the run

Me and a friend of mine

We were headed for the sunshine

I got my hands on the wheel

I got gas in the tank

I got a suitcase full of money

From a Luxembourg bank

We didn't stop 'til we got to Big Cypress

Wandered in to the Legion Hall

The sign outside said "Seminole Bingo"

Fell in love with the ping pong balls

And the SEC is far behind

Down in the swamp with the gators and flamingos

A long way from Liechtenstein

I'm a junk bond king playing Seminole Bingo

And my Wall Street wiles

Don't help me even slightly

'Cause I never have the numbers

And I'm losing nightly

I cashed in the last of my Triple B bonds

Bought a double-wide on the Tamiami Trail

I parked it right outside the reservation

Fifteen minutes from the Collier County Jail

And the SEC is far behind

Down in the swamp with the gators and flamingos

A long way from Liechtenstein

I'm a junk bond king playing Seminole Bingo

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gemmill, have you ever read Carl Hiaasen? I've been thinking about him a bit today after that man was shot dead whilst eating some guys face in Miami. He is or was a journalist for the Miami Herald and writes excellent crime capers. If you've not read any then I can recommend a few of his. What about Harlan Coben? His stuff is usually alright.

I'm reading A History of Histories by John Burrow at the minute. Not a book about the fall of the roman empire but a book about books about the fall of the roman empire :lol: Not taking that to Menorca anyway.

Cheers Chez. Aye I've read some of Harlan Cobens - the thing I like about them is that from page 1 you're into the action. Perfect holiday fare. I might have a look for some of those that I haven't read actually, good shout.

Had a look on Carl Hiaasen's website there, and would definitely be interested in any recommendations you've got, cheers. That other book you're reading sounds....fascinating. :lol:

Why was it such a difficult read?

It's miserable story after miserable story of the life of crime which seems as inevitable as an early death or jail in the region. No character seems to last more than a few pages (except the author, though it's not an autobiography) so it's a constant flurry of people you never get much depth about in unrelated situations you rarely get much of a handle on. I had the same problem with the film. I know I'm in a minority though, both are widely acclaimed, I'm not a fan of the real life crime genre whatsoever though. If you are, it's probably great.

You'll love Hiaasen Gemmill, am sure of it. A lot of his early books have the same characters popping up so start chronologically but the order is not that important. I'd go with Tourist Season, Stormy Weather and Sick Puppy.

That history book is better than it sounds but I would definitely not recommend it for a holiday read.

That CT is saying my life is dull is fucking hilarious by the way. Like the fat woman at the office who proudly describes her nights in watching shit on tv as "just a quiet one" as if it's out of the ordinary, despite doing it every fucking night. Given people on here who's opinion he values spend a fair bit of their time reading, it's weird for him to be so disparaging.

I'm not saying I'm the epitome of hedonism, but I'm definitely living a fuller life than that fat knacker, all the while managing to squeeze in a book or two. :lol:

Of course people are individuals but I have core tenets for what I think of as a "worthy" person.

I don't trust blokes who don't like football.

I don't trust people who don't drink alcohol.

People who don't read are dead inside.

Probably some more.

You'll love Hiaasen Gemmill, am sure of it. A lot of his early books have the same characters popping up so start chronologically but the order is not that important. I'd go with Tourist Season, Stormy Weather and Sick Puppy.

That history book is better than it sounds but I would definitely not recommend it for a holiday read.

Nice one, I'll stick those three on the Kindle, thanks (cheers Fist, too). Have been recommended Funeral in Berlin (Len Deighton) by Alex, in case anyone else is after recommendations and likes that sort of thing.

Of course people are individuals but I have core tenets for what I think of as a "worthy" person.

I don't trust blokes who don't like football.

I don't trust people who don't drink alcohol.

People who don't read are dead inside.

Probably some more.

As J69 and Meatloaf said. :lol:

Is it not the socially disfunctional in life who realise at an early age that they are not the same as the other kids and instead withdraw into the fantasy world of books as a way of compensating for their social inadequecy?

i love reading but the only time i find time to read a novel these days is on holiday. even then it's not easy to fit it in because the bairn takes up so much attention.

i agree with the girl with the dragon tatoo series. good, easy reading page turners ideal for lounging by the pool with.

irvin welsh has got a trainspotting prequel coming out if that's your bag. i'll be chalking it up for my holiday in france next month.

if you like sport biographies, the nasser hussain one is worh a read. he speaks honestly. not a lot of watered down fluff like a lot of others.

i love reading but the only time i find time to read a novel these days is on holiday. even then it's not easy to fit it in because the bairn takes up so much attention.

i agree with the girl with the dragon tatoo series. good, easy reading page turners ideal for lounging by the pool with.

irvin welsh has got a trainspotting prequel coming out if that's your bag. i'll be chalking it up for my holiday in france next month.

if you like sport biographies, the nasser hussain one is worh a read. he speaks honestly. not a lot of watered down fluff like a lot of others.

I think the reason teachers are so obsessed with getting kids into reading is obvious. How much general knowledge did you learn at school? How much do you take in from reading? (That's apart from the enjoyment of reading a good tale). There's a reason why the book is nearly always better than the same film. Some people cannot be arsed with reading and that's ok with me but they're seriously missing out. 'socially dysfunctional' CT? FFS! :lol:

Is it not the socially disfunctional in life who realise at an early age that they are not the same as the other kids and instead withdraw into the fantasy world of books as a way of compensating for their social inadequecy?

Stop taking the piss, please. I know that books can't match the tight plotting and dialogue of Casualty in your world but I bet people that read them can make the distinction between "been" and "being". That Shakespeare was a socially dysfunctional fella, wasn't he?

I bet CT LOVES that naff Romeo and Juliet film btw.

CT's lack of reading is why basic things like the difference between "been" and "being" are beyond him. I mean that is a failure to understand verb tenses in your native language ffs. :lol:

1. You can read to gain knowledge as well - pointing out the tory who's never read any history or economics would too easy - to keep up the music references "Libraries gave us power".

2. Further to 1. I doubt your capacity to use your imagination.

3. Do you really think the people on here who've indicated a love of reading are socially inadequate?

Edited by NJS

1. You can read to gain knowledge as well - pointing out the tory who's never read any history or economics would too easy - to keep up the music references "Libraries gave us power".

2. Further to 1. I doubt your capacity to use your imagination.

3. Do you really think the people on here who've indicated a love of reading are socially inadequate?

Of course it would be wrong of me to name names, but I do think some disturbing personally traits show through in quite a few posts of some of the bigger readers in this thread. Dont get me wrong, I dont hold it against them and can empathise with what they have had to overcome from an early age. If its helped them lead an almost normal life then Im all for it.

If you look at the great geniuses of human history (Goethe, Einstein, Da Vinci, to present day), they all have one thing in common: they are voracious readers from very early ages. If people didn't read, CT would be hauling people around in a rickshaw and wouldn't be able to maintain his diet--you know, the one that could feed an entire village.