DEad Poets Society

LeazesMag

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be a religious discussion, which as you know Brother Leazes, is not allowed.

is this a Masonic message board :lol:

Seriously I don't see it as so much a religious thing as such, most of what you hear is a myth. It certainly isn't an anti-religious cult.

No politics, no religion, what on flat earth do you talk about at Lodge meetings?

Other than sexy goats, naturally.

we just get as pissed as possible :lol:

Edit. I don't go anymore tbh, haven't been for a canny while now.

Edited by LeazesMag

Just read up a bit about freemasonry on wikipedia. Sounds like some people need to grow the fuck up. :lol:

A lad I used to work with tried to sell me on it once - he described it as nowt more than blokes getting together for a drink and a meal - I replied I did that anyway - its called having mates.

A lad I used to work with tried to sell me on it once - he described it as nowt more than blokes getting together for a drink and a meal - I replied I did that anyway - its called having mates.

Yeah that's what I don't get. It just comes across as blokes wanting to feel part of something secret. The gestures and handshakes ffs.

you don't "sell" it man :lol:

in any case, you aren't supposed to "canvas" it in that way either.

Basically, each to their own, you have a choice, although you don't go touting it. I would hazard a guess that some of your workmates are Freemasons, but you just don't know that they are.

you don't "sell" it man :lol:

in any case, you aren't supposed to "canvas" it in that way either.

Basically, each to their own, you have a choice, although you don't go touting it. I would hazard a guess that some of your workmates are Freemasons, but you just don't know that they are.

It was just a general "would you be interested" conversation rather than handing out leaflets on the high street.

Since my current workmates consist of Russians, Indians, Chinese, Poles, Irish and a lad originally from Ipswich I very much doubt it.

I remember years ago I started seeing a lass and her Dad was a freemason from the lodge at Wallsend (along from the Metro?), As soon as he know I was in the Air con trade he spoke to a bloke from the lodge who also was to see if he knew me (he did) and was quizzing him about me. :lol:

My old next door neighbour used to be as well. Pretty harmless, it was all about doing favours for each other.

Loads of the Old Bill are in it.

I have known this to be true with some doing rather well career-wise too .

That's what sits very uncomfortably with me .

As much as I'm sure many get into it for the 'brother' there's obviously some that get in for 'self'

I know of one pretty high ranking specific example in Northumbria that tallies with the above yet has a very dubious private life.

It was huge where we lived in Scotland (Kelso) when I was a kid....its a tiny place,less than 8000 people but it had 2 lodges....where the old man was born which is a village of less than 500 it was almost fuckin compulsory to join the lodge there. When the old man went back to work there after he had finished his national service he worked for the local bulider, a prominent local mason, and got on famously with the boss's son, until the day the son turned round and said (sounds just like what JawD posted) "have you ever thought about joining the masons?"...think the old man just looked at him before saying "I've just done 2 years in the jungle with the Army...Its put me off joining fuckin anything,ever,again..!" That was the last day the boss's son ever talked to him, or the boss for that matter...petty doesnt really cover the attitude back then, don't know what its like now...

My Grandfather was also a mason, although not really a practising one. Think it all came to an end one day when he'd drunk too much whisky and ended up in the cells for the night for battering some unfortunate individual. At the Sherriff Court the Sherriff addressed him: "You were seen in the town square in Duns the worse for drink causing a nuisance,being violent to others etc etc...what have you got to say for yourself?"...after some consideration Grandad replied " Well I wasnt as pissed as you were at the masons ball last year...." that was it,the gavel slammed the desk, he was taken down and got 30 days for contempt of court :lol:

Dont think its as strong round there now, same as anywhere else I reckon, its a died a death a bit in recent years.....Leazes attitude is common by the sounds of it ;)

It was just a general "would you be interested" conversation rather than handing out leaflets on the high street.

Since my current workmates consist of Russians, Indians, Chinese, Poles, Irish and a lad originally from Ipswich I very much doubt it.

irrelevant.

FWIW, if you want to become a Freemason, you are supposed to ask someone.

To be fair, it sounds like it was just his way of discreetly sussing out if you would be interested, but if you want to do it then take him up on it and ask.

Edited by LeazesMag

It seems just like a club for blokes go for a pint and that. Nothing wrong with it.

as you live in Scotland, you may be more familiar with it, and it is much more informal in Scotland [and as such better than in England I may add]

on the contrary HF, I'm now a life member, whether I attend or not ;)

I can just imagine the conversation.

"Of course you're right Brother Leazes, in fact, to celebrate the fact you've brightened every meeting being right and improving everybody's knowledge we've decided to reward you with a life time membership, regardless of whether you turn up or not. Think of it Brother Leazes, your seat is forever reserved, so you can stay at home and need not worry about the pain of getting to and from meetings. Congratulations Brother, you're truly one of a kind."

we just get as pissed as possible :lol:

Edit. I don't go anymore tbh, haven't been for a canny while now.

When will YOU put your money back into the lodge and back it's Worshipfull Master

When will YOU put your money back into the lodge and back it's Worshipfull Master

paid up for life. So far as I know, they are doing just fine, they haven't changed the name of the Lodge, or sold their star members and pocketed the cash.

:lol: like I said, sounds like some people need to grow the fuck up.

I think its more sinster than that. I have no objection to anything (within reason) that brings people together in a social setting and I think genuine mates helping each other out in business terms is fine up to a point but when it goes all secretive and you get whole professions like the Police using it far too dodgily for promotions etc then it becomes wrong.

Its similar to the semi-mythical old school tie - people doing deals based on a nod and a wink of questionable association rather than on ability/fair price.