Lance Armstrong

Gemmill

Oh dear. Gonna be stripped of his 7 titles. A witch hunt, as he describes it, or has the testing technology just finally caught up with his blood samples?

I suspect the latter, but admit I don't know a lot about it.

Thoughts, anyone?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems suspect that he's decided that he basically 'can't be bothered' to fight the allegations any more. If he really was innocent wouldn't he try to do absolutely anything to clear his name given the years and years of dedication he gave to his sport? Seems very odd.

Im a bit split on this issue really. The man has been giving urin and blood samples every single day for 15 years - now he has to prove he is innocent yet again.

If they couldnt get anything on him during his entire professional career, they should either seek to improve their methods or let it go imo.

It does seem like a bit of a witchhunt. I too think he has been doping but still, seems excessive.

Edited by Lake Bells tits

Aye, seems to me like he probably knows he did it and knows they can prove it, and just wants it all to go away now so he can enjoy his retirement.

Whatever happens, he's used his fame and position to do a huge amount for cancer awareness and fundraising, which is probably more important than any of the other stuff anyway.

Seems suspect that he's decided that he basically 'can't be bothered' to fight the allegations any more. If he really was innocent wouldn't he try to do absolutely anything to clear his name given the years and years of dedication he gave to his sport? Seems very odd.

The guy had the motivation and will power to train like fuck for that many years and yet he claims this is what has exhausted him. Doesn't add up for me.

Pity Rob W didn't get to see it in his lifetime.

Im a bit split on this issue really. The man has been giving urin and blood samples every single day for 15 years - now he has to prove he is innocent yet again.

If they couldnt get anything on him during his entire professional career, they should either seek to improve their methods or let it go imo.

It does seem like a bit of a witchhunt. I too think he has been doping but still, seems excessive.

You see people from the past two Olympics being stripped of their titles just before this Olympics though. It's the testing technology catching up with the doping technology. The fact they couldn't be caught at the time doesn't mean they shouldn't be caught at all.

If there is new medical evidence then fair enough. If its just the testimony of people who've said nowt for 10 years then I'm suspicious.

Still a bit disappointing that he's all but admitted it.

Aye I have huge suspicions about cycling, mainly because I can't wrap my head around how normal humans can be capable of such incredible endurance. For weeks on end ffs.

Having said that, I read Wiggins' passionate defence in the Guardian, when the French press were asking questions about his former at the Tour, and it's hard to believe someone speaking so passionately about the subject could be at it.

At the same time I realise you can't say that cycling is suspect, whilst defending the British bloke that wins the TDF and presumably had to beat a load of dopers to do so. :lol:

Lance Armstrong to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned for life as he gives up fight over drug charges

Seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong faces being stripped of his titles and banned from cycling for life after announcing he will not contest charges levelled by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).

Facing the music: Lance Armstrong's attempt to block the US Doping Agency was dismissed in court Photo: GETTY I MAGES

By Telegraph Sport7:30AM BST 24 Aug 2012

American Armstrong said in a statement that he is "finished with this nonsense" and insisted he is innocent but did not want to spend any further effort clearing his name.

He said: "There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, 'Enough is enough'. For me, that time is now.

"I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in winning my seven Tours since 1999."

However Armstrong's achievements are set to be wiped from the record books.

Asked what actions USADA intended to impose, spokeswoman Annie Skinner said in an email: "A loss of all results from August 1, 1998 and a lifetime ban from participating any sport sanctioned by a signatory to the WADA Code."

Armstrong, 40, has always denied claims he ever used performance-enhancing drugs during his career and has never failed a test.

But USADA chief executive Travis T. Tygart has said the Texan should face the same proceedings as any other athlete charged with doping offences.

Armstrong, charged by USADA in June, sought a temporary restraining order against the agency's legal action but that was dismissed in a federal court in Austin, Texas on Monday.

His former team-mates Floyd Landis and Tyler Hamilton have both accused Armstrong of doping. Both Landis and Hamilton have also been punished for doping.

Armstrong, who in 2011 retired from cycling for a second time, is the most successful rider in the history of the Tour de France, winning each year from 1999 to 2005.

His story was made all the more remarkable by the fact his triumphs came after beating cancer.

Armstrong claims the USADA investigation "has not been about learning the truth or cleaning up cycling, but about punishing me at all costs".

"Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a two-year federal criminal investigation followed by Travis Tygart's unconstitutional witch hunt," he said.

"The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today - finished with this nonsense."

He added: "Today I turn the page. I will no longer address this issue, regardless of the circumstances."

He accused USADA of having "broken the law" and "played the role of a bully" and insisted he always "played by the rules" put in place by anti-doping agencies and cycling's world governing body the UCI.

He added in a statement on his personal website: "The idea that athletes can be convicted today without positive A and B samples, under the same rules and procedures that apply to athletes with positive tests, perverts the system and creates a process where any begrudged ex-team-mate can open a USADA case out of spite or for personal gain or a cheating cyclist can cut a sweetheart deal for themselves.

"It's an unfair approach, applied selectively, in opposition to all the rules. It's just not right."

Armstrong, in a passionate defence of his career record, said USADA had no right to take away his Tour titles.

"USADA cannot assert control of a professional international sport and attempt to strip my seven Tour de France titles," he said.

"I know who won those seven Tours, my team-mates know who won those seven Tours, and everyone I competed against knows who won those seven Tours.

"We all raced together. For three weeks over the same roads, the same mountains, and against all the weather and elements that we had to confront.

"There were no shortcuts, there was no special treatment. The same courses, the same rules. The toughest event in the world where the strongest man wins. Nobody can ever change that. Especially not Travis Tygart."

Responding to Armstrong's statement, Tygart said: "It is a sad day for all of us who love sport and our athletic heroes."

While Armstrong remains steadfast that he did not cheat, Tygart sees the case in a different light.

Tygart added in a statement released by USADA: "This is a heartbreaking example of how the win-at-all-costs culture of sport, if left unchecked, will overtake fair, safe and honest competition, but for clean athletes, it is a reassuring reminder that there is hope for future generations to compete on a level playing field without the use of performance-enhancing drugs."

Armstrong called USADA's actions a "charade" and the allegations against him "outlandish and heinous".

He said: "If I thought for one moment that by participating in USADA's process, I could confront these allegations in a fair setting and - once and for all - put these charges to rest, I would jump at the chance.

"But I refuse to participate in a process that is so one-sided and unfair. Regardless of what Travis Tygart says, there is zero physical evidence to support his outlandish and heinous claims.

"The only physical evidence here is the hundreds of controls I have passed with flying colours. I made myself available around the clock and around the world. In-competition. Out of competition. Blood. Urine. Whatever they asked for I provided. What is the point of all this testing if, in the end, USADA will not stand by it?"

Aye thats the thing for me too. If what Gremmy says is true and they have medical proof fair enough. Testimonies from people jumping on the bandwagon now - after 10 years?

Bit suspicious..

My understanding is that the USADA are saying they have proof. I stand to be corrected though. I know they are meant to have a sample from 96 which shows evidence of doping, but I think he was on some medication at the time which could have explained this.

Wykikitoon will know most about this. Howay you miserable Yorkshire bastard, weigh in with an opinion!

I understand that it would be frustrating and time consuming fighting these charges, but to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from anything to do with sport for life is would surely spur you on to fight it.

I think that Guardian article pretty much sums it up. It's a lot to sacrifice just because he can't be arsed with the process. This way he can always claim he's innocent on the basis that he was never truly proven guilty.

I understand that it would be frustrating and time consuming fighting these charges, but to be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned from anything to do with sport for life is would surely spur you on to fight it.

again, they dont have the power to strip him of those titles, they can say what they like its an empty threat

Just a thought!

Wouldn't it be easier to let all athletes take power enhancing drugs and that way there's no complaints.

Just kidding but there seems to be a lot of shenanigans with all this shit.