Newcastle United v Aston Villa

McFaul

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disappointing result. Awful 1st half performance, improved in the 2nd where we played very well for 15 mins but that just isnt acceptable at home against this lot.

We have to shake this horrible knack of not starting well and not being able to play at a high startard for most of a match.

Santon and Ben Arfa stand out performers. Jonas done well. Anita looks absolute gash by the way. Cabaye was poor, so was Cisse. Where they the two that got their heads turned?!?

Im not impressed with out start to this season.

A bad first half, better second half but it was a definite off day for us and we need to get into a rhythm quickly.

Santon played well and so did biggy.

Ben Arfa's goal was a peach and he played well.

Villa came with a lot of fight in them and considering we were well below par, I'd say we have to be well happy with a point.

Shit result, but I reckon something is up behind the scenes. Lads just aren't gelling like they were

Or we just played in Europe 3 days ago, had 2 new players playing for most of the match (the above poster's comment about Anita being "absolute gash" is laughable, by the way, and sums up some of our fans and perhaps football fans in general), are still trying to find a way of playing Ba and Cisse together effectively, played against a decent enough defensive outfit with a keeper on top form, are missing our midfield general in Tiote, are 3 league games into the season...

Why assume/predict/imagine the worst?

Disappointing result tbh, thought we deserved to win as poor as we were. Cabaye had a poor game, Cisse was anonymous. Thought Ba and Jonas worked very hard and Ben Arfa kept his run of good performances up. Anita's passing was poor but I'm hoping it's just the pace of the league and he needs time to settle, Bigi impressed me particularly his strength to hold off Ireland in the corner and blocking Bent's shot.

Really thought Cabaye's free kick was in, great save by Guzan. We seem to have started really sluggishly this season, hopefully it'll all fall into place and there's not a bigger problem like what Fish said.

We were by far the better footballing side but our delivery/crossing was outrageously bad, after Cisse's shot went off the keepers heel and wide I thought we were in for one of those days, much happier with second half.

Aston Villa played well and we didn't which shows how far we have come when you consider that we can play badly and still gain results where as a few years back we would have been tonked.

You have to take the positives from the negatives...well I do anyway.

Again I thought their keeper was very commanding, so it was a mix of that and poor deliveries. Which begs the question of why we played so many crosses/set-pieces into the box.

Am disappointed not to get the 3 points but a draw, a loss, and a win from our first three league games is hardly the end of the world. No need for the hysteria although I should expect it by now.

We were by far the better footballing side but our delivery/crossing was outrageously bad,

Agreed, the poor crossing and set pieces are worrying and need sorted. I also thought Obertan looked canny in the few minutes he was on, think it was mentioned somewhere Steve Stone's been coaching him 1 on 1 and it's really showed in his last 2 outings he goes at his man and looks to cross now as opposed to looking clueless, obviously not at a level where I'd start him but he's a good sub/backup if he keeps improving.

Again I thought their keeper was very commanding, so it was a mix of that and poor deliveries. Which begs the question of why we played so many crosses/set-pieces into the box.

Am disappointed not to get the 3 points but a draw, a loss, and a win from our first three league games is hardly the end of the world. No need for the hysteria although I should expect it by now.

Especially considering Spurs and Chelsea were two of them.

Agreed, the poor crossing and set pieces are worrying and need sorted. I also thought Obertan looked canny in the few minutes he was on, think it was mentioned somewhere Steve Stone's been coaching him 1 on 1 and it's really showed in his last 2 outings he goes at his man and looks to cross now as opposed to looking clueless, obviously not at a level where I'd start him but he's a good sub/backup if he keeps improving.

I think Obertan is a confidence player more than anything. That's not say he's suddenly Messi when he's got a bit of self-belief. But he did alright against Atromitos on Thursday, clearly gained in confidence as that match went on and brought that into his cameo appearance this afternoon.

Don't be so sure about that, I was the only one who predicted the result right today :P

Hahaha , fair enough but I don;t think we will be languishing around the 10th mark after about 15 games. I fancy us to have another great season.

Or we just played in Europe 3 days ago, had 2 new players playing for most of the match (the above poster's comment about Anita being "absolute gash" is laughable, by the way, and sums up some of our fans and perhaps football fans in general), are still trying to find a way of playing Ba and Cisse together effectively, played against a decent enough defensive outfit with a keeper on top form, are missing our midfield general in Tiote, are 3 league games into the season...

Why assume/predict/imagine the worst?

I'm not, I'm just saying that the entire team seems disjointed and nowhere near the cohesive unit we saw last season. It could just have been an uncertainty during the window, but there's something amiss.

I think Obertan is a confidence player more than anything. That's not say he's suddenly Messi when he's got a bit of self-belief. But he did alright against Atromitos on Thursday, clearly gained in confidence as that match went on and brought that into his cameo appearance this afternoon.

Aye you're right. Hopefully he keeps that confidence up tbh because it makes him handy, his pace makes him a right handful especially for tired defenders.

Anita has been gash Monroe, is probably was the wrong word but he has been very very poor. Bigi, a young lad we signed for next to nowt has impressed me more. Tenfold.

Pardew got the tactics wrong and should have switched the system sooner. That said, Ben Arfa looks dangerous centrally and what a goal!

I think, like fish, something is up like...Cabaye could be pissed off we didn't sign Debuchy, unsettled by speculation too but generally I think the players are a bit pissed off that their stellar work last year hasn't been backed up with the signings we needed.

Still, on a positive, Saylor has come back strong, colo is doing what colo does, santon looks more settled, Ben Arfa looks a threat and Ba looks hungry...when is Ramadan over? :lol:

Cabaye and Cisse need to sort their shit out and find some form and we really are missing Tiote.

Not worried by the start, just disappointed.