Roberts to boycott Kick It Out t-shirt at Anfield/Racism in football

Tooj

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and try Googling before you criticise people. Ferdinand pretty muh denied he had anything to do with that supposed union ("dont believe what u read" on his Twitter) hours before you questioned his appreciation for what the game has given him.

safety ;)

Not what the bloke on 5live said and I think Rio's tweet came with a safety wink too!...Roberts has categorically denied he's anything to do with it...cant really see it being anyone else but the man who doesn't mind other men of colour being called a choc ice....dont think he's thought any of this through...didnt need google for any of that....

Edited by PaddockLad

Breaking down the barriers of racism by creating a new blacks only club. That makes sense.

Will members of the black players' union sit at the back of the team bus?

Clark Carlisle has rightly said there needs to be unity in the bid to remove racism from football and society and is completely right.

Will members of the black players' union sit at the back of the team bus?

Clark Carlisle has rightly said there needs to be unity in the bid to remove racism from football and society and is completely right.

Yep, creating something like a black players only union isn't going to help. I take it Asian players would have to set up their own union?

The players (all races) need to work closer with the anti-racism charities already in place rather than kicking the toys out of the pram.

Yep, creating something like a black players only union isn't going to help. I take it Asian players would have to set up their own union?

The players (all races) need to work closer with the anti-racism charities already in place rather than kicking the toys out of the pram.

And the white players as well obviously.

That would be fun :D

FIFA, UEFA and the FA have to make visible steps towards proportionate penalties for racism and racist behaviour. Slaps on the wrists for countries where racism is a huge problem, not just in football stadia, isn't enough. There's been talk that the FIFA/UEFA mandate is to let countries like Serbia (no offence Luke) progress at their own pace. That a footballing authority shouldn't deal with racism more strictly than the country's own government do.

But can't football be an agent of change? Can't UEFA say "Hey, Serbia, Fucking grow up! You're not allowed to play with the rest of us til you stop acting like a fucking child!"?

it can, but that would require those highest up to get down of their perches, do some work and risk offending some people meaning they arent certain of holding onto the power they desperately cling to.

Not sure they do like. If the anti-racism group is totally ineffectual then why should non-white players that are the victims put any effort or faith into supporting them? Rio Ferdinand can reach more people with a nuanced argument in a Single Tweet than he can with his meaningless, generic pre-match attire.

John Terry has worn anti-racism t-shirts all of his career i'd guess but when his true colour is shown, the punishment is paltry.

This is why I don't buy into the enforced or guilt tripped charity support, like this racism one (certainly in the premier league) or the poppy appeal. Seeing Tony Blair in a poppy or John Terry in an anti-racism t-shirt cheapens those causes.

The point of the boycott was supposedly to highlight the lack of funding received by KIO. I'm not sure where this talk of a breakaway group has actually come from apart from the word of some random barrister.

Not sure they do like. If the anti-racism group is totally ineffectual then why should non-white players that are the victims put any effort or faith into supporting them? Rio Ferdinand can reach more people with a nuanced argument in a Single Tweet than he can with his meaningless, generic pre-match attire.

John Terry has worn anti-racism t-shirts all of his career i'd guess but when his true colour is shown, the punishment is paltry.

This is why I don't buy into the enforced or guilt tripped charity support, like this racism one (certainly in the premier league) or the poppy appeal. Seeing Tony Blair in a poppy or John Terry in an anti-racism t-shirt cheapens those causes.

Isn't segregating by skin colour fundamentally racist in effect though?

You can see the frustration when a guy is having monkey chants directed at him when nothing truly meaningful is done about it but the fight against racism needs to be a unified effort otherwise you're just making no headway at all.

Kick It Out may or may not be effectively managing to remove racism from sport but they need further support rather than rival organisations. We need more speakers like Ian Holloway involved tbh and use the greater power of social media to spread the messages to millions of people.

The point of the boycott was supposedly to highlight the lack of funding received by KIO. I'm not sure where this talk of a breakaway group has actually come from apart from the word of some random barrister.

Not according to Jason Roberts it wasnt..

'I won't wear one. I find it hard to wear a t-shirt after what happened last year.'

Roberts added: 'I'm totally committed to kicking racism out of football but when there's a movement I feel represents the issue in the way that speaks for me and my colleagues, then I will happily support it.

'I think people feel let down by what used to be called "Let's Kick Racism Out of Football".'

Roberts also said that Terry's apology has come 'a year too late' and the FA punishment was too lenient.

'The four-match ban was, for me, not a heavy enough sanction for what happened,' said Roberts.

'I'm not happy. Certainly they should have given him a longer ban. The sanction is nowhere near harsh enough.'

Cant see what KIO couldve done about any of that tbh. They raise awareness, which is about all they can do. The target shouldve been the FA,UEFA and FIFA. And he should thank the fuckin lord he was born a bred in the UK where our attitudes are very well developed on this issue....well, most of us anyway..cant speak for the former England football captain :galre:

• 1 month later...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/dec/17/zenit-st-petersburg-fan-group

Zenit St Petersburg fan group warns against buying black or gay players

The largest fan group of Russian champions Zenit St Petersburg has demanded the club refrain from buying black and gay players.

"We're not racists but we see the absence of black players at Zenit as an important tradition," Zenit fan club Landscrona said in a letter, called the "Selection 12 manifesto", posted on its website on Monday.

"It would allow Zenit to maintain the national identity of the club, which is the symbol of St Petersburg."

Zenit have been the only top club in Russia to have never signed an African player while the northern city of St Petersburg is known to have a strong right-wing nationalist influence.

The fans said they want more home-grown or European players in the team. "We only want players from other brotherly Slav nations, such as Ukraine and Belarus as well as from the Baltic states and Scandinavia. We have the same mentality and historical and cultural background as these nations," the letter said.

They also expressed their opposition to having "sexual minorities" in the team. Several prominent black players have turned down lucrative offers from the wealthy club over the past 12 months after receiving death threats from Zenit fans. A Zenit spokesman said on Monday the club would not comment on the fans' letter.

The former Zenit and Russia striker Alexander Panov said the fans have no right to influence the club's selection policy. "If we don't have enough good players from St Petersburg, then what should the club do?" he said.

"All clubs around the world have black players. If they are absent from Zenit – it's Zenit's problem. I don't think fans should demand the club buy or don't buy certain players. The fans have the right to go to the stadium or stay home."

Zenit have been in turmoil for the past few months with several senior players unhappy after the wealthy club splashed out more than £60m on the Brazil forward Hulk and Belgium midfielder Axel Witsel just before the transfer deadline.

Zenit demoted the Russia captain Igor Denisov to the reserve team in September after he refused to play, issuing an ultimatum to renegotiate his contract in line with what Hulk was making. Denisov was later allowed to rejoin the first team after making an apology.