Player form...

StellarStripes

Ok so we are 10 games in, the point where Pardew had said he would have a look at things and we can then be judged on our start.

10th in the league but only 3 points off 4th place isnt bad really but we have to remember that we have only won 3 games this season. All at home. No away wins which, if we are to challenge the top 4, we need to start picking up and sharpish.

We have been poor this season so far, no real form, no real consistency at all. How do you think our players have done?

Krul...Obviously had been injured but since coming back has looked like his old self, alert and has made some crucial saves...GOOD.

Harper...In Krul's place he done OK, had a couple of decent games and a couple of poor games, im always nerveous when he is in goal though, he's as agile as a tree...OK.

Elliott...Again in Krul's place he done OK, showed more ability this season than last, made some fantastic saves and does look to be a good keeper, rather him than Harper...OK.

Simpson...He has been injured but when in the side still looks as shite as ever, i cant stand this fucker, hopeless defender and even worse going forward...POOR.

Anita...Looked better at RB than in CM, had a poor start to his career here but seems to be picking up a little. Needs to concentrate more though...OK.

Perch...Is a much improved player but still wreckless and switches off at times, good range of passing but has been hit and miss this season...OK.

Coloccini...Obviously a massive player for us, a couple of outstanding games this season but there rest have been a little wobbly, needs to step it up a gear...OK.

Taylor...I think he has been very good injury aside, has most definitely improved in last two years, still liable to a dodgey moment but im happy with his performances...GOOD.

Williamson...Been more steady this season, told to pass it short more which helps, still worry when he is in the side though...OK.

Santon...Looks a much better player this year and i expect him to keep improving. Great going forward, still needs work defensively...GOOD

Ben Arfa...Started the season really well, breaks have interupted him but needs to kick on again, our most dangerous player...GOOD.

Cabaye...Had a very slow start this year but has looked better of late, expect him to go up another couple of gears though...OK.

Tiote...Similar to Cabaye, has been slow this year but has shown signs of the player we know...needs to kick on...OK.

Jonas...Awful, probably the one player that has annoyed me so much this season, really has been poor and offered nothing to the side...POOR.

Obertan...Shite in the league but good in europe, showing he has something to offer the team but how much is still unknown...OK.

Sameobi...Looks dangerous albeit a bit clueless, clearly gives us an option but not pulled up any trees...OK.

Ferguson...Got a few great assists but still not sure on him being good enough, that said he has had a pleasing impact...GOOD.

Marveaux...Where is he and why is he not pushing the team? POOR.

Amalfitano...Same as Marveaux...POOR.

Abeid...Same a above...POOR.

Gosling....Injured again but still looks a rubbish footballer...POOR.

Vuckic...Injured again but even in the glimpses on the pitch, doesnt look all that really...POOR.

Ba...Great start just like last season! Hope he can stay fit and keep it up...GOOD!

Cisse...Really really bad start to the season, actually looks like a shite striker even though he isnt, really needs to kick on like, we need his goals!...POOR

Shola...Shown he can do "a job" in the odd game, good hold up and link up play, needs to get a few goals...OK

Its pretty worrying when out of the whole squad we have only 5 or 6 who have had a good start to the season, even more worrying when quite a lot of our key players have had poor to ok starts as well. Something isnt right, we are disjointed and inconsistent, i hope it is only a blip and that we can, as a group, find some good form.

The big players really need to kick the fuck on if they have CL ambitions with us.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost 2 games. To first and second in the league.

Other than that, won every home game bar Villa who'd had a dreadful start and were desperate for points.

If we keep winning at home and drawing away I'll not be complaining too much

They just cut him up for parts and put the best bits into Shane Ferguson to save money.

Lol

Definitely got to be the biggest disappointment of the season considering his pedigree. That said, he'd probably the sort whose clever touches look great if we were bossing games and passing it about.

Messi would probably look shit trying to fit in in with our current style of play.

Krul, Santon and Ba the ones who have done well so far. You could add Ben Arfa to the list too though he's been a bit on and off over the last couple of weeks.

Tiote, Jonas, Cabaye and Cisse the ones who need to step it up a notch.

ben arfa's been our saving grace if you ask me. the one player that always looks likely to create something. we ought to be giving him less defensive responsibility and letting him cocnentrate more on creating chances. either play him just behind one of the dembas or let him play wide in a 4-3-3. he's wasted out wide in a 442 with all the tracking back required. let him play in an area where it isn't a disaster if he gives the ball away while setting off on a mazy run

I don't really see what Jonas is bringing to the team this season. Lost a yard of pace, won't make the mazy runs anymore, and just holds the ball up for Santon to get up the line to give it to him. What do you do son? I think we need to be looking for a replacement in January, Adam Johnson would have been perfect, or Hoillet minus the attitude.

I think we need to be looking to create more chances from out wide, because our build up play is so much more effective than direct, and would be a hell of a lot better if it came from the left like it does with Barfa on the right.

Lol

Definitely got to be the biggest disappointment of the season considering his pedigree. That said, he'd probably the sort whose clever touches look great if we were bossing games and passing it about.

Messi would probably look shit trying to fit in in with our current style of play.

You're the one that gave him such a pedigree nobody else. :lol:

You're the one that gave him such a pedigree nobody else. :lol:

iirc I think a few on here including the likes of Stevie had high hopes for him this season which wasnt unreasonable given the attention he was getting prior to joining us. I still think if we were playing decent football on the ground he would be a big asset, but scrapping around like we do, then its a no.

Jonas wins the vast majority of our free-kicks. He is fouled almost twice as much as any other player in our team.

Jonas 25

Ben Arfa 15

Santon 14

That's always been the best thing about him, because he can't cross and he rarely goes past his man.....but he rarely surrenders posession either.

Jonas wins the vast majority of our free-kicks. He is fouled almost twice as much as any other player in our team.

Jonas 25

Ben Arfa 15

Santon 14

That's always been the best thing about him, because he can't cross and he rarely goes past his man.....but he rarely surrenders posession either.

Honestly, with a bit of pace and athletic abiltity you can become a multi millionaire in football by just doing that, its what coaches and managers love.

I remember an article about Stephen Clemence who played in the top divison for Spurs and Brum for a decade, and his only attribute as a footballer was his ability to retain posession. Its the holy grail of football. And thats why Jonas is the first name on the sheet every week.

A mate of mine played in goal for Poole Town u18s in the early 90s with Jody Craddock. There were two other players in that side who played league football, Simon Cooper for Cheltnham and Christer Warren for Bournemouth. Neither of them were particularly gifted, and pace let them down at the top level, but the key to both their little claims to fame was a true desire to be a professsional and,again, they sat in the middle of the park playing it simple. Its fair to say their careers were well and truly on the slide when they came across me breathing beer fumes all over them on a Sunday morning :D

Krul...Obviously had been injured but since coming back has looked like his old self, alert and has made some crucial saves...GOOD....(Agreed)

Harper...In Krul's place he done OK, had a couple of decent games and a couple of poor games, im always nerveous when he is in goal though, he's as agile as a tree...OK.(Agreed)

Elliott...Again in Krul's place he done OK, showed more ability this season than last, made some fantastic saves and does look to be a good keeper, rather him than Harper...OK....................(I think he's shown signs this season that he is a very able deputy)

Simpson...He has been injured but when in the side still looks as shite as ever, i cant stand this fucker, hopeless defender and even worse going forward...POOR........................( Totally disagree... he is easily our best right back and I feel more comfortable with him in the team)

Anita...Looked better at RB than in CM, had a poor start to his career here but seems to be picking up a little. Needs to concentrate more though...OK...........(Anita looked ok at right back in one game but I would take Simpson over him any day of the week....It's too early to judge Anita but he does look like he's starting to adapt)

Perch...Is a much improved player but still wreckless and switches off at times, good range of passing but has been hit and miss this season...OK.( Disagree...I think Perch has been excellent for us and I haven't seen him switch off.......His tackles are usually spot on and obviously he's gonna make some rash challenges in the positions he plays in as all players do in his role.

Coloccini...Obviously a massive player for us, a couple of outstanding games this season but there rest have been a little wobbly, needs to step it up a gear...OK.......(disagree, Colo has been excellent for us and the few dodgy games he's had has been down to sloppy overall team performance as much as Colo himself)

Taylor...I think he has been very good injury aside, has most definitely improved in last two years, still liable to a dodgey moment but im happy with his performances...GOOD. (Agreed)

Williamson...Been more steady this season, told to pass it short more which helps, still worry when he is in the side though...OK. ( I think Williamson comes in for some unfair stick to be honest.....He's a simple centre back and no none sense....I know he hoofs balls down field once he wins it but I'd rather that than have him ball playing like Colo does, because it's then we could easily become unstuck.)

Santon...Looks a much better player this year and i expect him to keep improving. Great going forward, still needs work defensively...GOOD ( This lad just keeps getting better and better and looks absolute class on the ball...all he needs is to get that final ball into the box more regular and he's about as good as we could get anywhere)

Ben Arfa...Started the season really well, breaks have interupted him but needs to kick on again, our most dangerous player...GOOD. (Agreed, he's been top class and works hard for the team as well, which is a massive bonus... He's gonna destroy some team soon enough)

Cabaye...Had a very slow start this year but has looked better of late, expect him to go up another couple of gears though...OK. ( A lot of what Cabaye does, tends to go unseen by many fans I think....he grafts his bollocks off at times and it affects his creative game which makes him appear less effective, when in fact his presence is massive.)

Tiote...Similar to Cabaye, has been slow this year but has shown signs of the player we know...needs to kick on...OK. ( He seems to be trying too hard and is paying the price for it, yet he's our enforcer and will always take the brunt of the cards dished out, yet he is getting back to the Tiote we love)

Jonas...Awful, probably the one player that has annoyed me so much this season, really has been poor and offered nothing to the side...POOR. ( I think you're looking at his attacking game because his ability to help keep the team from crumbling is there for all to see......when we are in free flow, which we have struggled to do, he looks class going forward but he's had little chance of it really as his contribution has been more defensive battling.)

Obertan...Shite in the league but good in europe, showing he has something to offer the team but how much is still unknown...OK. ( He's starting to show why Pardew bought him, yet he has took some time to settle and build confidence......I feel, he is a confidence player and if nurtured properly, which he seems to be , I think we'll see the real talents and end products of him, more regular)

Sameobi...Looks dangerous albeit a bit clueless, clearly gives us an option but not pulled up any trees...OK. ( This lad has impressed me since pre-season and I can only see more starts for him as time goes on as defenders don't like players like him. He loves taking players on and is not afraid to have a stab at goal, which for a young lad coming into the team like he has, shows, he's confident in his own abilities to help the team climb the league and contribute his worth in goals as well, I think.)

Ferguson...Got a few great assists but still not sure on him being good enough, that said he has had a pleasing impact...GOOD. ( Ferguson is a very good impact sub....I'm a bit dubious on him taking a left back role for a full game though, yet I would have no qualms about him down the left wing....a few extra weetabix will sort him...I like the lad)

Marveaux...Where is he and why is he not pushing the team? POOR. (I can't understand what's happening with Marveaux, does he want to be at this club???, the jury is still out on him)

Amalfitano...Same as Marveaux...POOR. ( To be fair to this lad, I haven't seen enough of him to make any kind of judgement, so I'll wait until Pardew integrates him or not.)

Abeid...Same a above...POOR. ( For the starts he's had, it's far too early to judge this lad as well, so I'll reserve my judgement until later.)

Gosling....Injured again but still looks a rubbish footballer...POOR. (Agree, he hasn't exactly done anything of note, yet he looks like one of those sick notes of a player.....only time will tell if he gets up to speed.)

Vuckic...Injured again but even in the glimpses on the pitch, doesnt look all that really...POOR. Another sick note, who has plenty of potential, yet I question his commitment on the field as he seems to labour a lot when he does get a start.)

Ba...Great start just like last season! Hope he can stay fit and keep it up...GOOD! ( Absolute class. I love this lad...his work rate and positional sense, plus his clever use of the ball in carving out his own chances, is brilliant. No team likes playing against him.)

Cisse...Really really bad start to the season, actually looks like a shite striker even though he isnt, really needs to kick on like, we need his goals!...POOR..( He has been poor, I agree, yet I have a feeling that some team is gonna pay for his famine .....class is permanent and he's proved it time and time again at his other clubs....it's just a matter of the team giving him enough chances to get off the mark properly, scoring the goals we know he can score and I think his confidence will rush back.)

Shola...Shown he can do "a job" in the odd game, good hold up and link up play, needs to get a few goals...OK...( I've always said, he's a cracking impact sub and should only be played for a full game or start, when we have no option....other than that, he is a brilliant last 20/30 minute player against a tiring oppo defence.)

Facts are fine, its the way you hold it up as some sort of medal of honour. I would much rather he stayed on his feat, dodged a few tackles and set up some goals.

He hasn't got the ability to do that though....and nor have any of our subs at this level.

You're gonna love this chart.

Amazingly our 2 wingers have had exactly the same number of touches of the ball. 413. Ben Arfa loses it more...because he's more adventurous. Gutierrez doesn't score or create assists, but he's extremely effective at retaining posession in the opponents half and leaving it to more skilful players like Cabaye and Ben Arfa to supply balls into the box....

653jgl.jpg

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/23

Adam Johnson's not exactly been setting the league alight since his move either.

yeah; i'm surprised by that. always thought he looked a good player and fancied us signing him. perhaps he's being dragged down to the level of most of their squad.