Holiday Plans 2013

Christmas Tree

Hopefully, this year is going to contain...

Stone Roses at Finsbury Park

Glastonbury

10 days in the French/Spanish Basque country.....anyone know of a good beech resort in this area, pref. not Biarritz?...Mrs PL is pissed off with Seahouses apparently. Strange girl... :glare:

Belgian GP at Spa

Some time at my folks so we can get to Seashouses then :)

Our lass's family has got a house just north of Biarritz in Soort-Hossegor. If you want recommendations etc for a holiday in the area i've spent at least 2 weeks there for the last 6 summers.

Hossegor has a lovely long beach, a decent belgian beer bar and loads of young french fanny. St Jean de Luz is a picturesque picture postcard town right on the border with a nice beach, hotels and restaurants. Bayonne is a large-ish town and depending on timing, is worth a visit during the Fete de Bayonne which is a massive piss up. On the Spanish side San Sebastian is a must.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holiday plans for 2013 depend entirely on whether we go to Eurovision or not. Two weeks in Malmö. Fucking w00t. :lol:

Other than that, a sneaky weekender in Hamburg in mid-Feb is all that's lined up so far.

http://versusio.com/...mburg-vs-berlin

(I realise this doesn't help much.)

Can recommend specifics in Hamburg if that ends up being the choice, though Parky's knowledge will be more current. For all I love the city to bits, I don't think it's a must-see by any stretch of the imagination compared with some of what Europe has to offer in terms of weekend breaks, just a canny enough place to spend a bit of time eating, drinking and making merry.

Thanks Meenz, and for that link. You had me at "Considerably more kindergartens" :lol:

Seriously though, as nice as museums etc are, it's the eating/drinking/being merry that we're after.

I would prefer Spain over Germany at this time of year. Munich as Meenzer will be able to describe in better detail is a bit middle class and lacks the authentic atmosphere of Berlin. If you are fixed on Germany, go to Hamburg, the weather could be a lot colder of course but its a better city.

I wouldnt hesitate over Madrid if it interests you. My preference would be to stay in Cortes (somewhere like the Westin) and would recommend that if you are going for a weekend, you make your way to Mercado de San Miguel. Its a very old covered market with loads of places doing iberico hams, seafood, wines etc. Its a great atmosphere and superb quality food. Get there early evening and sample the foods before a late dinner. There are loads of nice plazas around that area (and some touristy places at night, its a mix really). Once pissed up at the market, head out for more drinks and dinner somewhere around 2am.

Christ, that sounds incredible. Much appreciated lads! :good:

Cheers :good:

The ferry from Pompey to Bilbao in that link is a riot....loads of stags and hens from Pompey just book it there and back,,,,police have been known to be waiting at both ends :lol:

Think we'll fly and probably do a few of the cities by train, then if we fancy going somewhere a bit more rural/coastal may hire a car out there if its somewhere without a rail link nearby.

Our lass's family has got a house just north of Biarritz in Soort-Hossegor. If you want recommendations etc for a holiday in the area i've spent at least 2 weeks there for the last 6 summers.

Hossegor has a lovely long beach, a decent belgian beer bar and loads of young french fanny. St Jean de Luz is a picturesque picture postcard town right on the border with a nice beach, hotels and restaurants. Bayonne is a large-ish town and depending on timing, is worth a visit during the Fete de Bayonne which is a massive piss up. On the Spanish side San Sebastian is a must.

My first foreign holiday was near there, in Port d'Albret. Lush beaches, much better than cote d'azure, kind of Luke Druridge bay but actually hot iirc. Went to San Sebastian as well. This wasn't that long since Franco, so was canny scary for a European city. Imagine it's different now. ;)

Turned ours into a nursery a few years ago. Now its our lasses dressing come strap on room. Thought about turning it back but seems a lot of money just to save walking 12 feet to the main bathroom.

Wtf!? :faint:

Going to Zante for 2 weeks in June, because we're fancy like that.

Just come back from Berlin for NYE today and amidst my post holiday bles thought I'd check toontastic out... Just to see this :(. Hopefully get to Bilbao next month and then I think I'm inter railing in the summer

Nothing booked but I'd like to get away with the bairn a couple of times before he starts school in September. Can anyone recommend any particularly child-friendly cities and where we wouldn't have to travel much considering I'll be there by myself with him?

Nothing booked but I'd like to get away with the bairn a couple of times before he starts school in September. Can anyone recommend any particularly child-friendly cities and where we wouldn't have to travel much considering I'll be there by myself with him?

Home or abroad?

not a city but i'm taking mine to peppa pig world in the new forest for his second birthday in april. can't wait :glare:

Home or abroad?

I was thinking abroad but either actually.

Dr Gloom: We're over the Peppa stage thankfully - she needs a slap. And just how many jobs does Miss Rabbit have??

I think most City's are pretty boring affairs for kids IMO which makes it hard work for parents.

If you are not too snobby (and let's face it you're a Washington lass), you should head for a Haven Park.

They have them everywhere from Montpellier to Scarborough but your little one will have loads to do all day and evening.

I think most City's are pretty boring affairs for kids IMO which makes it hard work for parents.

If you are not too snobby (and let's face it you're a Washington lass), you should head for a Haven Park.

They have them everywhere from Montpellier to Scarborough but your little one will have loads to do all day and evening.

I'm from South Shields actually ;)

Go to Leyburn (hear me out woman).

You can go to the chocolate factory one day and the Forbidden Corner the next. And it's a nice enough little village which is only an hour from Washington, so no crazy long journey.

Ethan loved it! It's canny weird, but loads off exploring and you get a list of stuff you have to try and find while you're there so it keeps kids occupied.

Sounds great. I've got a friend visiting in Feb with her little lad so we might give it a go :)

Did you go to Berghain?

Narh :(, heard it can be weirdly selective and the lasses luggage was lost :lol:. Just ended up at Brandenburg for NYE which was surprisingly good. Even saw Loreen which will make Meenzer proud :P.

Bloody hell :o

Just ended up at Brandenburg for NYE which was surprisingly good. Even saw Loreen which will make Meenzer proud :P.

First thing I thought of, before you even said it :blush::lol: