Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You say "being in a mutually beneficial union makes us powerful" which is perhaps true but tell me, who exactly would you like to yield such power?

Personally I would not trust any man, living nor dead who sought absolute power.

Edited by SpaceCadet

1 hour ago, SpaceCadet said:

You say "being in a mutually beneficial union makes us powerful" which is perhaps true but tell me, who exactly would you like to yield such power?

Personally I would not trust any man, living nor dead who sought absolute power.

It's not and never will be yielded by one man. 

The EU is an economic superpower,  not a military superpower.  And yes, it is much more democratic than I suspect you know or give it credit for. Compare it to the other superpowers which actually have terrifying military power. The USA, China, and Russia. Trump, Jinping, and Putin. Do these people give you comfort?

Before you say at least Trump was elected and therefore accountable (dismissing the many controversies regarding his election), consider what executive powers he wields, unaccountable to anyone. He can literally destroy the world on a whim. And yet, rather be part of a democratic union of historically and geographically linked countries, brexiters would rather ally themselves to this demagogue. Incredible really. 

Edited by Renton

9 hours ago, SpaceCadet said:

Rules and regulations and the ECJ are not my biggest gripe, my issue is with centralised power. I said this from the beginning. 

I would be happy for the Scottish, Welsh and N. Irish parliament to have more influence within the union on decisions that effect them for the same reason.

But Brexit is going to mean that more powers than ever are going to be concentrated among government ministers.

5 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Burn the Witch!

Burn the Witch!

In a few more posts you’ll discover that you are actually a thick racist :lol:

At least the penny is finally starting to drop for you.

8 hours ago, SpaceCadet said:

Fuck no.

And yet 2 out of 3 of those arose through mechanisms you want the UK to be solely dependent on. You said you feared the EU would lead to a fascist superstate. What would you describe Russia under Putin as, and increasingly the USA under Trump.

Feel free to expand on your opinions from one liners btw.

6 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Burn the Witch!

Burn the Witch!

In a few more posts you’ll discover that you are actually a thick racist :lol:

Racist? I don't think you are.

Thick? Definitely. Evidence:

1) You repeatedly avoid questions put to you and instead reply with irrelevant cherry picked soundbites from May's mouth.

2) Incredibly, you actually thought that EU nationals had the vote in the referendum, which explained to you the London Remain vote. :lol:

1 hour ago, Renton said:

What would you describe Russia under Putin as, and increasingly the USA under Trump.

Vladimir Putin has more in common with the mob than does with other politicians, everybody including his supporters know he's crooked only we don't exactly know just how crooked he is.

Donald Trump is no Calvin Coolidge that is for sure. He is often an embarrassment, especially on social media. There's only so much damage an American president can do anyway (domestically atleast) because their rights are protected by the US constitution. 

The media built Donald Trump through the primaries anyway to keep Ted Cruz out only for it all to backfire massively which is ironic because there is nobody Trump dislikes more than the MSM yet they unintentionally got him elected. 

2 minutes ago, SpaceCadet said:

Vladimir Putin has more in common with the mob than does with other politicians, everybody including his supporters know he's crooked only we don't exactly know just how crooked he is.

Donald Trump is no Calvin Coolidge that is for sure. He is often an embarrassment, especially on social media. There's only so much damage an American president can do anyway (domestically atleast) because their rights are protected by the US constitution. 

The media built Donald Trump through the primaries anyway to keep Ted Cruz out only for it all to backfire massively which is ironic because there is nobody Trump dislikes more than the MSM yet they unintentionally got him elected. 

I guess my feeling is that the fascism you fear from the EU doesn't appear as likely to happen as through a nation state. I detest nationalism for this very reason.

It's been pointed out already but the main purpose of the EU, it's raisin d'etre, is to prevent the rise of nationalism and war within Europe. It's worked hasn't it? We've had peace and prosperity for a record period of time. I'm really struggling to understand how you don't accept this and actually seem to think going back to a Europe fragmented by national boundaries will make things better for us?

15 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Gove has just claimed that Brexit has made the UK the most immigration friendly country in the EU :spit:

It's pathetic, the Tories keep twisting negative news and fucking idiots like CT will regurgitate it up as "fact".

We're in a situation where it is now acceptable for ministers can blatantly lie to parliament with no recourse. What makes yesterday particularly unpalatable was the Tories background  braying to what is a human tragedy. How anyone does not recognise them as scum is beyond me. 

Edited by Renton

46 minutes ago, Renton said:

I guess my feeling is that the fascism you fear from the EU doesn't appear as likely to happen as through a nation state. I detest nationalism for this very reason.

It's been pointed out already but the main purpose of the EU, it's raisin d'etre, is to prevent the rise of nationalism and war within Europe. It's worked hasn't it? We've had peace and prosperity for a record period of time. I'm really struggling to understand how you don't accept this and actually seem to think going back to a Europe fragmented by national boundaries will make things better for us?

It's not about nationalism vs globalism 

That's social media talk between populist tarts and momentum fruitcakes, l sometimes enjoy sitting back in the real world and watching the shit show unfold but that conversation isn't for me.

18 minutes ago, SpaceCadet said:

It's not about nationalism vs globalism 

That's social media talk between populist tarts and momentum fruitcakes, l sometimes enjoy sitting back in the real world and watching the shit show unfold but that conversation isn't for me.

I have no idea what you are talking about but I'm pretty sure you haven't responded to any of the issues raised yet. 

Noteworthy that even someone of obvious intelligence can't make a case for leaving the EU which includes anything that equates to a tangible benefit

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

I have no idea what you are talking about but I'm pretty sure you haven't responded to any of the issues raised yet. 

I get it, I have to read your comments twice sometimes myself. I think we're just two different people from two different generations.

You should sign up to twitter, I can almost guarantee you'll find your answers on there. It's full of people who share in your ideology. 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

CT trying to make friends. Bless

Not a bad thing. He can pop round one day if he likes, I'd be happy to lend him my copy of 1984 or Animal Farm (no not that one).

Edited by SpaceCadet

10 minutes ago, SpaceCadet said:

I get it, I have to read your comments twice sometimes myself. I think we're just two different people from two different generations.

You should sign up to twitter, I can almost guarantee you'll find your answers on there. It's full of people who share in your ideology. 

What ideology is it that you think Renton has?