Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

Gove has just claimed that Brexit has made the UK the most immigration friendly country in the EU :spit:

EU immigration down to lowest levels in six years. Hate crimes up. British citizens being deported.

I can never quite decide if I hate Gove or Johnson more. It speaks volumes about those two that Hunt isn't even in that equation tbh.

May I can't hate anymore. She's too pathetic.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

What ideology is it that you think Renton has?

Does (s)he know what generation I belong to?

Space cadet seems to be a typical Brexiter. Makes bizarre broad sweeping claims about the evils of the EU, displays ignorance as to what it is, then can't provide any evidence or even rationale for their opinions. And then bails out. Oh well. 

Just now, Rayvin said:

I can never quite decide if I hate Gove or Johnson more. It speaks volumes about those two that Hunt isn't even in that equation tbh.

May I can't hate anymore. She's too pathetic.

The Conservative party are in awful shape, I guess they can thank their lucky stars that momentum are the opposition. 

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Does (s)he know what generation I belong to?

Space cadet seems to be a typical Brexiter. Makes bizarre broad sweeping claims about the evils of the EU, displays ignorance as to what it is, then can't provide any evidence or even rationale for their opinions. And then bails out. Oh well. 

What the EU is to you and what it is to the majority of us are obviously two different things, otherwise the referendum would have gone your way.

Just now, SpaceCadet said:

The Conservative party are in awful shape, I guess they can thank their lucky stars that momentum are the opposition. 

You'll get a lot of support for that opinion on here. Although personally I would say that Momentum almost single handedly brought the Tories to their knees last time out, and that if they had someone more competent at the helm they would have a far easier job of things. They function as a media bypass, taking political messages unedited directly to the electorate. If the enthusiasm remains, they should win out in the end. Remember that Labour won the vote share for everyone under 45. Momentum did its job - it was out on the streets in force. And remember it was on the defensive last time out. Had they attacked, we would almost certainly have seen the back of Rudd, if not many others.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/01/jeremy-corbyns-takeover-is-complete-and-the-tories-are-terrified/

Momentum, a group that did not exist four years ago, has instead succeeded in taking over a party: the leadership and the membership. The NEC changes mean Momentum’s reverse takeover of the Labour party is now complete, and Labour MPs are now its hostages. MPs who complain about hard-left takeover will be told that this is not ‘entryism’ but simple democracy — which it is. Momentum found and inspired thousands to join the Labour party and call the shots. It deserves its victory.

1 minute ago, SpaceCadet said:

What the EU is to you and what it is to the majority of us are obviously two different things, otherwise the referendum would have gone your way.

Referendum result was a lashing out response to the lie of austerity. Or at least there was enough of that mixed up in it to make the difference. Since the Tories have now admitted austerity was ideologically driven bullshit which has been unceremoniously abandoned in an act of pure fear at the outcome of Brexit, I think it's fair to say that 'the majority' you refer to no longer exists in terms of why the damn thing happened.

9 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Referendum result was a lashing out response to the lie of austerity. Or at least there was enough of that mixed up in it to make the difference. Since the Tories have now admitted austerity was ideologically driven bullshit which has been unceremoniously abandoned in an act of pure fear at the outcome of Brexit, I think it's fair to say that 'the majority' you refer to no longer exists in terms of why the damn thing happened.

The anti government/anti austerity line is only part of the story. There are plenty of little englanders still out there who would vote the same way if there was another referendum tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The anti government/anti austerity line is only part of the story. There are plenty of little englanders still out there who would vote the same way if there was another referendum tomorrow.

Aye but they wouldn't be enough to win it. Well, saying that, maybe combined with people who now realise they voted the wrong way but have too much pride to change their view, perhaps anything is possible.

though not representative of this board, or any of our echo chambers, there are a lot of CTs in the country. if there was another vote tomorrow, it'd be tight but i'd still give it to leave. 

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

though not representative of this board, or any of our echo chambers, there are a lot of CTs in the country. if there was another vote tomorrow, it'd be tight but i'd still give it to leave. 

Possibly, but then the Tories are yet to do anything to actually make anyone's lives better - so even though austerity has technically been abandoned, I don't know if many people even notice. The damage it did isn't being reversed.

I think if you had a Labour government actually helping people, no way Brexit happens at a repeat vote.

56 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

The austerity stuff was hilarious 

Terrific entertainment :lol:

58 minutes ago, SpaceCadet said:

The EU is what it is, independently of what either of us think it is.

But the simple fact that you don't know what the difference between the ECHR and the ECJ highlights you are ignorant about what it is and how it works. As were at least 95% of voters in the referendum I would guess (both sides, and also most politicians). That's the real reason a plebiscite referendum was wrong.

2 minutes ago, SpaceCadet said:

The austerity stuff was hilarious 

Terrific entertainment :lol:

So you think that the Tories ditching it as soon as the referendum results were confirmed doesn't suggest that they know it was linked? Curious.

1 hour ago, SpaceCadet said:

No what the EU is does not change, what changes is the perception of it. That perception is formed by knowledge (or ignorance) and bias.

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

You'd hope not

I think lessons have been learned along the lines of "The older generations have utterly fucked us because we didn't care, and we cannot let that happen again"

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

So you think that the Tories ditching it as soon as the referendum results were confirmed doesn't suggest that they know it was linked? Curious.

How the fuck has austerity been ditched? 

Just now, Renton said:

How the fuck has austerity been ditched? 

Tbf it's not, I just remember a lot of waffle about it being over from May throughout the past two years:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-austerity-brexit-plans-uk-leave-eu-hard-soft-latest-tax-cuts-welfare-benefit-a7787001.html

There's been a clear sea change from the Tories on it in terms of narrative since Brexit (and the election).