Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, wykikitoon said:

Excuse my ignorance on this.

But what would the poll be on? 

Reunification of Ireland. There's now the numbers for this. Can you imagine the clip of Snarlene's face if this happened? 

Just now, wykikitoon said:

Excuse my ignorance on this.

But what would the poll be on? 

A border poll is allowed for the Good Friday Agreement that means that NI has the right to self-determination i.e. stay in the UK or join the Republic of Ireland.

I don't think there's the support for unification just yet.

17 minutes ago, Renton said:

She'll just prattle on about how no PM could ever accept a border in the Irish Sea. Despite this being exactly what she has agreed to on 3 separate occasions. 

She's very clear.

17 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Was at a party last night, the current Mrs PL’s ex work colleagues & partners, got chatting to a lad there I’ve met two or three times before. He works at Bournemouth airport for a company designing galley kitchens for aircraft. They’re doing new ones for the A380s and have just signed a big contract with Airbus. I mentioned that I thought they were pretty vocally anti Brexit and what did he think of the situation....he seemed a bit surprised that I thought there was anything to be concerned about..... Another party last month, my mates brother in law, who is a great lad and is the man the phrase “it’s not rocket science” was invented for as he is literally a rocket scientist. He’s left design far behind though, he now basically runs an agency hiring out top level free lance engineers all over the UK, Europe & beyond...he’s not bothered either, basically said “money talks”. 

At at the beginning of this thread I said that anyone who says they know how all this will pan out is a liar...I still largely stand by that but it would strongly appear that it’s just going to be degrees of shiteness. A mate who runs a branded workwear company lost a fortune in June 2016 when the pound plummeted in value after the referendum vote because he imports everything from China. He’s still cheerfully in favour of Brexit. “It’ll be alright” he says....which I shared his optimism..

You're in construction arent you PL?

We have seen a few jobs put on hold, but apart from that we're busy as fuck.  

11 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Wait til the deals actually done. Boomtime baby (And not a Renton Boom).

The jobs we have seen put on hold are the ones that are in fear of what's going to happen.

I dont think we will see what happened in the last recession though in terms of big house builders totally stopping building which has a knock on effect for us all.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

A border poll is allowed for the Good Friday Agreement that means that NI has the right to self-determination i.e. stay in the UK or join the Republic of Ireland.

I don't think there's the support for unification just yet.

If not for the DUP a special deal for the island of Ireland sounds as though it would be a good stepping stone to a United Ireland?

4 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

If not for the DUP a special deal for the island of Ireland sounds as though it would be a good stepping stone to a United Ireland?

Not really, there's more chance of a UI in the event of no deal. The special deal would pretty much maintain the status quo but for a few extra checks at ports that won't be noticed by most.

11 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

No she hasn’t.

Not this shit again. She agrees a backstop in December, again in March, and in a letter to the commission. How can there be a guarantee of no hard border in Ireland without a backstop?

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

Not this shit again. She agrees a backstop in December, again in March, and in a letter to the commission. How can there be a guarantee of no hard border in Ireland without a backstop?

Link to where she’s agreed a border down the Irish Sea. You’re telling porkies.

4 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Link to where she’s agreed a border down the Irish Sea. You’re telling porkies.

Well short of us staying in the SM and CU permanently, where else could the border be? You're just being contrary for the sake of it. 

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Well short of us staying in the SM and CU permanently, where else could the border be? You're just being contrary for the sake of it. 

You said she’d agreed to a border down the Irish Sea, she hasn’t agreed to it once. :lol:

36 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It’s hard to see where May goes from here. No agreement with the EU and no agreement with either her own party or the opposition. I wonder what odds I can get on a people’s vote.

I think Shes heading for a withdrawal agreement with lots of carefully crafted text around the backstop followed by the bluff calling of the ERG and DUP.

For all the noise the ERG make, they seem unable to muster themselves to take any action.

23 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I think Shes heading for a withdrawal agreement with lots of carefully crafted text around the backstop followed by the bluff calling of the ERG and DUP.

For all the noise the ERG make, they seem unable to muster themselves to take any action.

And is she going to call the EU’s bluff too?

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

You said she’d agreed to a border down the Irish Sea, she hasn’t agreed to it once. :lol:

She agreed to a backstop and all that implies. Not a time limited one either.

I've been saying since the GE the Ireland situation is insoluble with the present parliamentary composition. I've been proved right and it is still the biggest obstacle to the WA. That's why I'm not as optimistic as Gloom. I just can't see any way past it.