Supermarkets

Christmas Tree

Supermarket etiquette: a guide to modern manners

This week Sainsbury's apologised for an employee who refused to serve a customer until she stopped talking on her mobile. But what is acceptable behaviour when you're out shopping?

The story of a Sainsbury's employee who refused to serve a customer until she got off her mobile phone illustrates the complexity of supermarket etiquette: talking on your phone at the checkout is both unacceptable and allowable. Sainsbury's has no policy against it, so in this case both customer and employee were wrong. How does one navigate this modern social minefield? The following primer may help:

1. A trip to the supermarket is an out-of-body consumer experience, best attacked alone and with your brain on standby. That's why it's OK to ignore people you know or, if need be, to hide from them. This is actually a courtesy, so don't be offended when someone does it to you.

2. If you must chat with a neighbour or acquaintance, keep it brief and don't stop moving forward. If you're standing still, you're in the way.

3. It's fine to accept a free sample of some horrible new cordial, or a bit of cheese on a stick, but bear in mind that the person handing them out does not value your opinion. He's just there to stop you taking too many.

4. It's important to say "Thank you," when the person ahead of you in the queue places a divider on the belt between your shopping and hers, but eye contact is by no means mandatory. You're shopping, not speed-dating.

5. There is nothing arch in the way the robotic female voice at the self-checkout bay keeps saying: "Approval needed." She doesn't care how much wine you're buying, so don't talk back.

6. Occasionally an exotic or unfamiliar item will confuse a new checkout employee. You may choose to see this as an opportunity to indulge in some quiet middle-class self-loathing, but the person behind you – me – is in a hurry. Under the circumstances it's OK to say: "It's fennel."

7. No matter how many times you've been asked it, it is not acceptable to answer the question with the words: "No I do not have a fucking Nectar card."

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listen to podcasts when I'm doing the shopping. I give the cashier the courtesy of removing one, but only one, earphone when I get to the checkout. Nobody has refused to serve me yet.

Whilst I think it's rude of someone to talk on their phone when being served at the checkout I find it far, far more ignorant when shop assistant continues to gossip with a colleague when I'm stood at the checkout waiting to be served. I wouldn't get away with delaying a client (patient) at work just because the tale of who shagged whom at the last night out was more important!

And the self service tills, or " fast track tills" as Morrisons call them- no way are they faster than getting a minion staffed till.

:lol: minion

Edited by Kitman

And the self service tills, or " fast track tills" as Morrisons call them- no way are they faster than getting a minion staffed till.

Aye.

Expensive thing to install just so kids can buy blobs.

When you have to get one of them to come over whenever you buy drink ffs. Then the bags never work properly. Someone get me on Room 101

Depends on the skill of the shopper tbf. I'll always go to one if I have a basket, simply to avoid having to interact with the checkout person.

I can keep both headphones in at the fast track till.

Can't understand why they can't fit a scanner to the trolley so it's doing its thing while you're shopping.

One of the supermarkets did used to issue hand held scanners that you used as you went around but I'm guessing there were too many pikeys who felt that the scanning part was optional.

Without a doubt the most annoying issue with self-service checkouts are the cunts who don't move away from the checkout immediately after paying. They've either not packed their shit as the go along and spend another two minutes packing and repacking it after paying for it or they stand there staring at the receipt for 30 seconds as if theyr'e going to find something on there that they couldn't have found ten feet away. When I finally go on my shooting rampage it will be in Asda and no one will be spared.

Edited by ewerk

Aye I fucking hate that. The only time I don't mind is when its an old biddy and the cashier could possibly be the only person they're gonna talk to that day. Even then though, 5 minutes of chat later and I'm starting to get a bit impatient.

And then I'll take as long as I want, chatting, re-packing, etc, and fuck everyone else, especially the lanky ginger bloke behind with one earplug in, thumping his chest as he gets more irate. ;)

And then I'll take as long as I want, chatting, re-packing, etc, and fuck everyone else, especially the lanky ginger bloke behind with one earplug in, thumping his chest as he gets more irate. ;)

I'm the same but I do have to draw the line when she asks for my number.