Royal baby boy.

essembeeofsunderland

You think it's cool a bunch of inbred/semi-mental Krauts who go bald at 25 are allowed any say in our laws? Astounding. :lol:

Its astounding that you claim they have. I'm quite supportive of some of Charles' environmental and architectural views.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way my new royal fact for this year is that legally the queen owns every piece of land in England. We are granted "estates" which are actually licences to notionally buy and sell the land but if she wanted to she could revoke the estate at any time with no legal comebacks.

Now I dont think for one second its likely but its another example of shit that's still in place that's just accepted.

She still owns vast chunks of the real estate of Manhattan. Some deal done during independence.

Between the Chuch and the Royal family they own about a 1/3 of the best land in Scotland.

If you believe you have the moral right to seize it then you give the moral right to someone to seize it from you.

Its astounding that you claim they have. I'm quite supportive of some of Charles' environmental and architectural views.

Only a couple of weeks ago his council were in Westminster explaing how the Duchy of Cornwall doesn't have to pay tax cause it isn't a company. :lol:

I largely agree with what NJS and Renton say but I fail to see what you can do about it. Do away with all forms of inherited wealth or just for posh rich folk? Life is blatantly and often tragically unfair for billions of people on the planet, in the big scheme of things and particularly in this country, its not that much of an injustice.

Parky, the best land in Scotland is the Tweed valley and its pretty much owned by the Dukes of Roxburghe and Buccleuch. The Forestry Commision is the largest landowner overall.

there are some tourist attraction events like the changing ot he guard and what not you'd need to keep but as said, the amount of money they'd make from allowing people into sections of a palace or turning estates into national parks etc would be immense, tourists would like to see the royals of course, but none of them actually expect to, they come to see the palace, big ben and what not.

There's a comedian who has a line something like "you don't goto paris and to the top of the eifel tower and think "well this is splendid but the lack of a monacrch really lets the view down"

http://www.republic.org.uk/valueformoneymyth.pdf

Inherieted wealth is fine, taxpayers funding round the clock protection and overseas jaunts for "public relations" for someone whose role now is completely ceremonial is not, especially when you're reportedly worth £500m

The Royals are meant to cost 40m but they estimate 200m and their source for 100m of that is the Daily Mail and Mirror :lol: How robust.

There is nothing to justify the nearly 40m from lost Duchy revenues either. So its bound to be more than 40m but their methods look dodgy

If 100,000 people decide to come to Britain and spend 400 pounds then that covers the 40m.

I'm also interested in their cultural value. I'm not a Royalist but i'm not a Republican either and i'm sure that some things in cultural terms have a value that is hard to capture.

I largely agree with what NJS and Renton say but I fail to see what you can do about it. Do away with all forms of inherited wealth or just for posh rich folk? Life is blatantly and often tragically unfair for billions of people on the planet, in the big scheme of things and particularly in this country, its not that much of an injustice.

Parky, the best land in Scotland is the Tweed valley and its pretty much owned by the Dukes of Roxburghe and Buccleuch. The Forestry Commision is the largest landowner overall.

Yeah that is part of the whole stinking system of patronage and land for favours system that existed in Britain for hundreds of years. Take that shit back an all. ;)

the royal family can do one as far as i'm concerned. the blanket coverage of such a non story in this day and age is mind boggling.

private eye got it right with their front page

bp2r65hcqaanwon.jpg_large.jpg

the guardian's republican filter was a nice touch too. though they still devoted way too much space to the story.

Really? Care to elaborate? Because I can assure you he doesn't think much of your profession or medical advances in general. And despite not having an IQ in double figures (I suspect given his failed education), his views will have more influence than just about any academic or business leader.

And if people dont think they attract tourists, you are very wrong.

The coverage of the wedding and the baby on French TV can only be described as breathless. Everyone talking about it in the office.

That's just depressing. Do the French want their monarchy back?

I didn't read that pdf btw :lol: i just googled "royal family cost" and picked what looked like would be the most mental wolfy-esq link and one using the word "myth" won ;)

it's friday and i'm assuming you're replying to these from a cabin in switzerland or whatever so i thought i'd wind you up a bit :razz:

:lol: At home in Paris, was in the Alps on weds evening though.

Really? Care to elaborate? Because I can assure you he doesn't think much of your profession or medical advances in general. And despite not having an IQ in double figures (I suspect given his failed education), his views will have more influence than just about any academic or business leader.

I said some. The bits about the environment being important and not building ugly shit.

I said some. The bits about the environment being important and not building ugly shit. 

You can think its important without insisting every new building has to be Georgian.

The queen is the tip of the iceberg though. A lot of the wealth and power in this country is birth dependent. Now of course that's pretty universal but my view is a measure of the "decency" of a country should be the extent to which it at least tries to mitigate that fact. The sickening worship of the royal family actually celebrates it which is what appalls me.

as a neutral, I think england is a far more decent country than a lot of others. I love living in a country where even the right wing can support gay marriage for instance.

the US has no monarchy and yet england are, for me, head and shoulders above them in decency stakes.

yes they have a lot of inherited wealth due to capitalism, which by the way is the best system we have come up with to date. yes corporatism needs to be clamped down on, and in particular its role in politics.

that's an extremely ignorant statement unless you know a lot more than just the facts you have stated. though I will grant you it's odd that someone given every possible opportunity in life would fail.

the royal family can do one as far as i'm concerned. the blanket coverage of such a non story in this day and age is mind boggling.

private eye got it right with their front page

bp2r65hcqaanwon.jpg_large.jpg

the guardian's republican filter was a nice touch too. though they still devoted way too much space to the story.

:lol: class

as a neutral, I think england is a far more decent country than a lot of others.  I love living in a country where even the right wing can support gay marriage for instance.

the US has no monarchy and yet england are, for me, head and shoulders above them in decency stakes.

yes they have a lot of inherited wealth due to capitalism, which by the way is the best system we have come up with to date.  yes corporatism needs to be clamped down on, and in particular its role in politics.

I agree the uk is pretty decent in those terms - I do however think it could be a lot better.

Also capitalism needed a huge piece of state intervention five years ago to prevent its demise so I think its overrated personally.

that's an extremely ignorant statement unless you know a lot more than just the facts you have stated. though I will grant you it's odd that someone given every possible opportunity in life would fail.

Is it, or is it just a well founded assumption? Anyway, my point is, he's not someone whose views should be taken note of, but yet they are, because of his birthright. Its just really irritating for me to have his views on 'allopathy' taken with some credence, for example. And that's before the lobbying is considered.

Agree with you the UK is a 'decent' country and in general preferable to the US. Not sure the monarchy has anything to do with that though, as evidenced by many other 'decent' European republic's or countries like Holland where the monarchy is largely irrelevant.

Just popped in to say Im quite happy to have the Royal family, think we are a better country for having them and hope they remain in place forever.

I know that I shouldn't be biting but do you want to explain that bit of your comment?