Syria

Anorthernsoul

One would have thought cutting off the logistics and finance would be a priority but then we would have to start telling the truth.

RAF warplanes have launched their first bombing raids against Islamic State (IS) in Syria just an hour after MPs voted overwhelmingly for military action.

Four Tornado GR4s - armed with Paveway IV guided bombs and precision-guided Brimstone missiles - took off from Akrotiri base in Cyprus to extend Britain's air war in the Middle East.

Defence Secretary Michael Fallon told Sky News they hit the Omar oilfield in eastern Syria - a "key infrastructure target" from which IS derives over 10% of its oil revenue.

One would have thought cutting off the logistics and finance would be a priority but then we would have to start telling the truth.

Finances are the key and I'm sure it's something that has been looked at. The vast majority of the ISIS soldiers aren't purely religious warriors, they're doing it for a wage which they're in desperate need of thanks to the state of their country. Once ISIS can't afford to pay them any more they'll put down their arms. The bank robberies and revenues from the sale of antiquities won't last forever. Cut off the oil and they'll struggle to survive.

Edited by ewerk

Finances are the key and I'm sure it's something that has been looked at. The vast majority of the ISIS soldiers aren't purely religious warriors, they're doing it for a wage which they're in desperate need of thanks to the state of their country. Once ISIS can't afford to pay them any more they'll put down their arms. The bank robberies and revenues from the sale of antiquities won't last forever. Cut off the oil and they'll struggle to survive.

That's what I'm talking about when I said diplomacy. Strangle the life out of ISIS revenue streams, foster good relations with the civilians by providing sanctuary, security and support.

Or y'know justify those £800,000 missiles you've got cooped up in a warehouse somewhere, by annihilating an oil field.

That's what I'm talking about when I said diplomacy. Strangle the life out of ISIS revenue streams, foster good relations with the civilians by providing sanctuary, security and support.

Or y'know justify those £800,000 missiles you've got cooped up in a warehouse somewhere, by annihilating an oil field.

:lol:

How are you going to stop them selling oil without either bombing oil fields equipment or putting up a blockade outside the oil well ?

How are you going to stop them selling oil without either bombing oil fields equipment or putting up a blockade outside the oil well ?

Are you serious? Those are the only 2 ways to stop ISIS's oil revenue streams? Jesus you're bloodthirsty.

So answer the question then :lol:

sure, but bear in mind I'm not an international security expert so for every 1 of my ill-conceived suggestions there'll be 100 good ones.

remove the demand by supplying their customers

increase pressure on the countries who turn a blind eye to the routes they use

operatives take out key personnel in that process

operatives take out nefarious customers until the risk is not worth the reward

manipulate markets so legal purchase of oil is more desirable

those are some ideas off the top of my head that would lead to fewer innocent people losing their lives & less senseless destruction of natural resources and as I said I'm no security expert. I'd wager that there are people on here, who also aren't security experts, who could come up with better ideas than bombing the shit out of an oilfield to make fat rich white men richer and fat angry poverty stricken white men feel powerful.

sure, but bear in mind I'm not an international security expert so for every 1 of my ill-conceived suggestions there'll be 100 good ones.

remove the demand by supplying their customers

increase pressure on the countries who turn a blind eye to the routes they use

operatives take out key personnel in that process

operatives take out nefarious customers until the risk is not worth the reward

manipulate markets so legal purchase of oil is more desirable

those are some ideas off the top of my head that would lead to fewer innocent people losing their lives & less senseless destruction of natural resources and as I said I'm no security expert. I'd wager that there are people on here, who also aren't security experts, who could come up with better ideas than bombing the shit out of an oilfield to make fat rich white men richer and fat angry poverty stricken white men feel powerful.

None of those will work.

Isis sell the petrol at the gates of the oil wells. That's where they get their money.

The smugglers etc then sell it on to various 3rd and 4th parties mainly in the areas controlled by Isis.

None of those will work.

Isis sell the petrol at the gates of the oil wells. That's where they get their money.

The smugglers etc then sell it on to various 3rd and 4th parties mainly in the areas controlled by Isis.

:spit:

You are hilarious man.

So, say they only sell it at the gates, who are they selling it to? How are those smugglers getting to the fields, or the oil from the fields?

but nah, just bomb it.

You're like a kid with a wasp nest; don't understand it so lets just try and smush it with a rock, then you're baffled as to why the swarm is attacking you.

:spit:

You are hilarious man.

So, say they only sell it at the gates, who are they selling it to? How are those smugglers getting to the fields, or the oil from the fields?

but nah, just bomb it.

You're like a kid with a wasp nest; don't understand it so lets just try and smush it with a rock, then you're baffled as to why the swarm is attacking you.

You clearly don't understand the situation.

Maybe start with that link I posted a few post back about how Isis oil sales work.

You clearly don't understand the situation.

Maybe start with that link I posted a few post back about how Isis oil sales work.

You don't understand the situation man, you're just googling "arguments in favour of bombing syria" and letting sharper minds try and do your work for you. At least I admit my limitations, I'm no security expert, but I do know that bombing will create further problems for us down the line. Y'know why? because that's what it always fucking does. The people calling for further airstrikes are those who've more invested in the continuation of the Mil-Ind complex, rather than actually looking for a long term resolution.

You're a taxi driver from Boldon, do you honestly think that anybody believes you've a clue about the entangled mess that is international security & constructive responses to an indescribably complex situation in the Middle east? We all know you're just a contrary gobshite. I honestly imagine you sitting with your back to the monitor, typing your LBC responses as you glance over your shoulder.

You don't understand the situation man, you're just googling "arguments in favour of bombing syria" and letting sharper minds try and do your work for you. At least I admit my limitations, I'm no security expert, but I do know that bombing will create further problems for us down the line. Y'know why? because that's what it always fucking does. The people calling for further airstrikes are those who've more invested in the continuation of the Mil-Ind complex, rather than actually looking for a long term resolution.

You're a taxi driver from Boldon, do you honestly think that anybody believes you've a clue about the entangled mess that is international security & constructive responses to an indescribably complex situation in the Middle east? We all know you're just a contrary gobshite. I honestly imagine you sitting with your back to the monitor, typing your LBC responses as you glance over your shoulder.

Boldon cab stands are usually my first port of call for informed analysis of the Syrian conflict.