Has the Internet turned the average football supporter into a moaning girls blouse?

Christmas Tree

Once upon a tyne, real men used to drink beer, watch football, shag women, work hard and have the odd match day protest when the likes of Beardsley, Waddle and Gascoigne were sold to our rivals.

These days no event seems to pass without legions wailing on twitter about "our suffering" blah blah, protest, blah blah, more suffering etc etc.

Boycott this, throw tennis balls on the pitch, carry mock coffins, scrutinise accounts like a crack team of HM inspectors.

What have we become?

We know the game plan is all about survival and "wiping our own mouth, nose, arse" yet still we bleat after every wrongdoing as though it was Groundhog Day.

I can't imagine the men of the 70's 80's writing do many words, phoning do many radio shows or generally partaking in so much mock suffering at being an average team in the premiership with 5 or 6 first team new signings in the current year and no quality players sold.

This btw is no aimed at justifying anything about Mike Ashley, its looking at the way 20, 30, 50 year old bleat on on a daily basis with such teeth gnashing and angst .

Thoughts :)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It barely needs pointing out that there are thousands of season ticket holders at SJP who wouldn't know the internet from a fuckin hair net :cuppa:

And they are the old timers who will support the team have a whinge in the pub and then carry on with life until they meet up again in a fortnights time.

They wont be down the local going from table to table trying to get others to boycott this or that and discussing their personal suffering again and again and again.

They fully understand that by most standards over the last 50 years, this is still a gold period.

Its this lot who were born under the keegan era and "grew up" under the Robson era. The bedroom Football Manager generation who can conquer all on the Xbox and think supporting a succesful Newcastle side is the norm.

I genuinely wonder what sort of society we are heading towards.

A quick look at the NUFC hashtag and the despair is there for all to see.

Again, this is not pro Ashley, just a comment on the the way the internet seems to have made whinging an daily pass time / badge of honour.

Naturally no insult intended to anyone on here. Just thoughts.

In addition "the football manager kid" is a lot more clued up on pretty much every aspect of football than the thread starter & perhaps a more applicable introduction "Back in those 'eh propeh days when househusbands didn't need to consult the internet for BASIC advice" ;)

No offense, naturally..

The moment I post anything that sounds remotely like I suffer angst off the back of the football you can delete my account.

Think the last time I got angry at the football is when my match magazine free pre-season cut out and keep league table system got caught in the wind and went all over the shop.

In addition "the football manager kid" is a lot more clued up on pretty much every aspect of football " ;)

No offense, naturally..

Well thats part of the problem, they're not. They think because they buy and sell in reality world and watch lots of european stuff that they and only they have enough intelligence to discuss football.

When players like Debuchy are playing shit and the FM brigade are saying "they're not, you just cant see it, I cant discuss this on here" then quite frankly they need to have a quiet word with themselves.

Football is all about opinions but some seem to think that they are the elite of football fans and there opinion is all that matters. Thats not what football is about.

No offence intended either.

The moment I post anything that sounds remotely like I suffer angst off the back of the football you can delete my account.

Think the last time I got angry at the football is when my match magazine free pre-season cut out and keep league table system got caught in the wind and went all over the shop.

I agree, you are fairly level headed as are most on here. But the sufferers seem to be growing at an incredible rate, even attacking the local journalists for not asking the hard questions / getting the answers.

Gather up pitchforks because we only got 5 or 6 in January and 1 or 2 in the summer.

Its getting mental and making us a bit of a laughing stock.

I'm nowt like a european football junkie.

I last played championship manager in 1994 or something.

Only saw Debuchy at the Euros before he arrived.

Still clear as day he's twice the footballer Danny Simpson is.

He might well be, but that doesnt change the fact that hes been pretty shit since he arrived and nowhere near the player he was touted as being. Sure he might get better, but dont be telling people a spades not a spade when it is a fucking spade. Thats all Im saying.

As for being twice as good as Danny Simpson. Is he fuck.

Every single January signing has been iffy at times - particularly the defenders, it's almost as if it takes time to settle into a different league and the hardest place to settle into any team is the defense, but CT knows all this...

Every single January signing has been iffy at times - particularly the defenders, it's almost as if it takes time to settle into a different league and the hardest place to settle into any team is the defense, but CT knows all this...

Everyone knows that and people say it and point out that its not quite working yet. But the know alls cant accept this and rather than agree it hasnt quite worked out yet they have to pretend that they see something other mere mortals cant.

A lot of us can watch a game and have a rough idea when a player is playing well or struggling.

It really really isnt rocket science.

Once upon a tyne, real men used to drink beer, watch football, shag women, work hard and have the odd match day protest when the likes of Beardsley, Waddle and Gascoigne were sold to our rivals.These days no event seems to pass without legions wailing on twitter about "our suffering" blah blah, protest, blah blah, more suffering etc etc.Boycott this, throw tennis balls on the pitch, carry mock coffins, scrutinise accounts like a crack team of HM inspectors.What have we become?We know the game plan is all about survival and "wiping our own mouth, nose, arse" yet still we bleat after every wrongdoing as though it was Groundhog Day.I can't imagine the men of the 70's 80's writing do many words, phoning do many radio shows or generally partaking in so much mock suffering at being an average team in the premiership with 5 or 6 first team new signings in the current year and no quality players sold.This btw is no aimed at justifying anything about Mike Ashley, its looking at the way 20, 30, 50 year old bleat on on a daily basis with such teeth gnashing and angst .Thoughts :)

The irony :lol:

You've been whining like a bitch about Pardew for months now. Up there with Aeris in that regard.

It's not the bitching and moaning that bothers you; it's because it directed at your football genius.

Edited by Dr Gloom