Has the Internet turned the average football supporter into a moaning girls blouse?

Christmas Tree

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you not reckon that's just most people these days? There's considerable amounts of research supporting the notion that people who are generally normal and decent human beings turn into raving 5 year olds when online. You will not have had this growing up.

Also, you have to look at it in the context of the time - everyone's fans are doing this. See Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal.

If you're saying that what MA has done is still better than what came pre-Keegan then fair enough; but I have no reference for that so, to me, he's just a massive bell end. I'm not going to go back and read all the old clippings of our buying and selling players for some context =/ I guess the fact that you can remember it is the difference between you and me (and other irate younger fans).

Not that I'd ever be caught raving about any of this on Twitter...

Edited by Rayvin

Its an observation and a question in the title?

If you dont understand that Im not sure what to tell you.

Why be such a patronizing cunt?

If you're asking if you behave like a fanny - yes, yes you do.

Its social media. That's what happens. Peoplehave always whinged, now its just easier to hear it

See that was the point of the question.

Personally I dont think they have always whinged as they do today.

I dont think you had quite the over reaction that you now get.

Do you not reckon that's just most people these days? There's considerable amounts of research supporting the notion that people who are generally normal and decent human beings turn into raving 5 year olds when online.

Well I suppose thats what I was getting at in the opening question and I agree its not just us. Its like the image of minutes silences etc for Liverpool fans.

I thought CT was lamenting the loss of the last great generation of men...."whatever happened to Gary Cooper?".... including himself among the modern men who talk about feelings on the internet.

The fact he's trying to suggest he is the last man standing... While flouncing about in his hat listening to David Guetta and asking how to cook a fish is as gerld as I'm sure he intended.

See that was the point of the question.

Personally I dont think they have always whinged as they do today.

I dont think you had quite the over reaction that you now get.

You weren't present at SJP during the "sack the board" years around 88-92 then. There was fuckin hell on most weeks. Actually in the ground. It could possibly be said that the medium of how the disgruntled fans views are expressed has changed, but the spirit is still there.

You weren't present at SJP during the "sack the board" years around 88-92 then. There was fuckin hell on most weeks. Actually in the ground. It could possibly be said that the medium of how the disgruntled fans views are expressed has changed, but the spirit is still there.

A. It was an out pouring at the match and didnt take over peoples every day lives in the same way it does because of the internet and there wasnt ructions on because we had "only signed 6 players in the last 8 months".

Anyway, just my two penneth on it.

"Pub Night" Everyone slowly moving away to a different part of the bar as he sits, furiously typing this up like a lunatic, barely hitting his mouth with the fourth Carling of the evening.

and there's the gold :lol:

"Pub Night" Everyone slowly moving away to a different part of the bar as he sits, furiously typing this up like a lunatic, barely hitting his mouth with the fourth Carling of the evening.

:lol:

I'm not sure who these old fashioned blokes that didn't discuss the match a day or so after it happened are. It's always been the first topic of choice for blokes in this area. As for the dig at us 20's lot, it's hardly our fault we were born in a good period for NUFC I like many would have followed us regardless.

Edited by Howay

Its this lot who were born under the keegan era and "grew up" under the Robson era. The bedroom Football Manager generation who can conquer all on the Xbox and think supporting a succesful Newcastle side is the norm.

I genuinely wonder what sort of society we are heading towards.

So it's actually nothing to do with moaning 50-year-olds as you suggested earlier, it's just you having a go at young people as usual. Glad we cleared that up. :)

I'm 20, play football manager, watch European football, and think a team with 50k average attendances should be competing financially with teams who have half said attendance. I'd just like to apologise to all over 40s for being such a monumental disappointment to the legacy of pre Premier League footballing culture.

So it's actually nothing to do with moaning 50-year-olds as you suggested earlier, it's just you having a go at young people as usual. Glad we cleared that up. :)

Worth noting that none of those young people ever made this thread

http://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/34100-mike-ashley-football-genius/

The terrible crime of wanting our club to be great again - or, if great isn't achievable, then at least not a sad parody of itself ran by a piss-taking chancer and his alkie crony and helmed by a dogsbody like Pardew who's content to collect his cheques and toe the line.

What a shocker! Fans of ailing club want owner to splash the cash! How unreasonable we are for daring to want reinforcement to a squad in dire need of it. It's all OK because Uncle Mike bought us 5 players in January so we could stop up (never mind that failing to spend in the summer was the reason we were in that position.)

Ya know CT, this forum is impressively diverse. We have people like Gemmill who is completely disgusted with modern football, we have young uns who know their football, Ant, Tom, Tooj etc, who can tell you the idiosyncrasies of a trequartista and why Pescara got relegated, we even have the older ones you pine for (who shall remain unnamed out of respect for my elders ;).)there's OOCs and Super Geordies. Despite this, this place plays out like any social occasion where people talk football (just with google to provide facts.) People argue, have discussions and show passion, knowing that they all want the same for the club, even if they want to get it in different ways. This is what football fandom has always been about. Wanting the best for your team doesn't mean frothing at the mouth 24/7, but are you seriously telling me that before I was born people watched on Saturday and forgot about it all until the following fortnight. We're on a football forum, we talk about it whilst also living our normal lives. You're the anomaly here btw, I can't imagine you watching the sport before modern football, I may have been born in '93, but I would love the sport I grew up playing and watching just the same. Tbh, since modern football has brought more 'United' fans from Rickmansworth who watch a game on telly every season and bought an 01/02 shirt for a fiver the season after, surely you could argue people care less, there are more fans in general but probably the same amount of hardcore supporters. I guess you've just never spoken to many other fans before.

Still waiting to see how watching more football means you know less about the game in general btw :)