95% certainty that humans are the "dominant cause" of climate change

Happy Face

I'm fully fingers in ears on this now. I know we're accelerating towards oblivion but there's nothing I can do about it.

Politicians need to get a grip of the situation. They definitely won't. They can't even come up with a plan that survives the week, never mind something to save the planet.

13 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Where is he likely to be getting his graphs from for this? Genuinely, am not questioning this (I’ve not had enough of experts 😉) just wondering. And is there somewhere we can find out who’s funded any research papers etc he’s done?…

He cites another tweet from another climatologist as the source. I have no idea of this person's affiliations or motives, you're right to highlight that. The raw data is from here:

https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/sst_daily/

But its a subset of that dat (North Atlantic) apparently. I'm not a climatologist so personally can't verify these are a fair representation or not. As per the OP (HF), I am going to have to accept the experts in this field are correct (UN Climate change panel). Anecdotally it also feels correct to me. Greece is on fire. 

Edited by Renton

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

He cites another tweet from another climatologist as the source. I have no idea of this person's affiliations or motives, you're right to highlight that. The raw data is from here:

https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/sst_daily/

But its a subset of that dat (North Atlantic) apparently. I'm not a climatologist so personally can't verify these are a fair representation or not. As per the OP (HF), I am going to have to accept the experts in this field are correct (UN Climate change panel). Anecdotally it also feels correct to me. Greece is on fire. 

Yeah, every time I’ve looked at Twitter this weekend it’s been the usual fossil fuel lobby funded sock puppets in the UK media rolling out all the usual bullshit. It’s appears ironically a bit more opaque when it comes to the opposite side though. 

I think we are in a great deal of trouble but there is so much money in oil etc those in the media shouting “bullshit” the loudest are very likely to be on huge retainers for spouting shite that puts politicians under real pressure. Look at Uxbridge last week, Tory hold due to ULEZ. 

10 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Yeah, every time I’ve looked at Twitter this weekend it’s been the usual fossil fuel lobby funded sock puppets in the UK media rolling out all the usual bullshit. It’s appears ironically a bit more opaque when it comes to the opposite side though. 

I think we are in a great deal of trouble but there is so much money in oil etc those in the media shouting “bullshit” the loudest are very likely to be on huge retainers for spouting shite that puts politicians under real pressure. Look at Uxbridge last week, Tory hold due to ULEZ. 

Gemmill's right like, tackling climate change is incompatible with our political set up. I think we're fucked now, we've reached tipping point already. 

ULEZ though, what a fucking cock up, a highly regressive tax that fucks the relatively poor. Obviously unrelated to climate change, I've always been sceptical of the impact of car pollution on public health. If it were the case, why does London have some of the best health outcomes and longest life-spans in the country? [Disclaimer, I think this is true but not checked recent data]. 

Moving to clean forms of transport is clearly a good thing, but has to be done fairly. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Gemmill's right like, tackling climate change is incompatible with our political set up. I think we're fucked now, we've reached tipping point already. 

ULEZ though, what a fucking cock up, a highly regressive tax that fucks the relatively poor. Obviously unrelated to climate change, I've always been sceptical of the impact of car pollution on public health. If it were the case, why does London have some of the best health outcomes and longest life-spans in the country? [Disclaimer, I think this is true but not checked recent data]. 

Moving to clean forms of transport is clearly a good thing, but has to be done fairly. 

Can't think of many taxes that have been applied punitively that've worked as intended, without entirely foreseeable side effects. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Renton said:

Anyway, my courtesy car hasn't arrived yet so I am officially a bus and metro wanker today. Fucking sucks even in a metropolitan area. 

Back to the mackem thread? 🙂 

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Something seems to be going very wrong with the climate this year. Partly El Nino but that's just exacerbating things rather than causing them. No idea what the cause could be. Perhaps we just need to bury our heads in the sand a bit more. I've posted a snapshot of a graph below. For many other frankly very concerning data, read the twitter thread. 

image.png.fe7447fa8954699e281683324d14c130.png

It's those stop oil wankers

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

I'm fully fingers in ears on this now. I know we're accelerating towards oblivion but there's nothing I can do about it.

Politicians need to get a grip of the situation. They definitely won't. They can't even come up with a plan that survives the week, never mind something to save the planet.

I thought this was interesting.

Thing is, climate change is a cross party issue.  But they're all fucking bothered about one thing.  Themselves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

there are loads of things we can all do. stop eating meat and flying on planes for starters. if we all made those lifestyle changes it would make a massive difference.

but it isn't going to happen. we enjoy holidays and food too much to make those sacrifices and policymakers won't legislate for that sort of thing until it's too late. the whole world will literally be in flames before we do anything meaningful. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

Aye but the point is, me as an individual not getting on a plane or not eating a steak isn't going to solve the climate crisis. This needs addressing from the top down, not by me not going on holiday.

As long as politicians sit on their hands, the rest of us are wasting our time making micro lifestyle changes.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

there are loads of things we can all do. stop eating meat and flying on planes for starters. if we all made those lifestyle changes it would make a massive difference.

but it isn't going to happen. we enjoy holidays and food too much to take and policymakers won't legislate for that sort of thing until it's too late. the whole world will literally be in flames before we do anything meaningful. 

We could eat the rich?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, The Fish said:

We could eat the rich?

stop having kids is another thing we can do, so Gemmill is probably entitled to more steaks and flights than most tbf

• Haha 2

Also hard to get worked up about this anymore given that there is literally no political will to do anything meaningful about it. I mean I'll keep voting for the right side of this, but it just doesn't matter beyond that what I do.

This is eventually going to come down to a simple reality I think - do we get to viable fusion power before climate change dismantles human society. No one else is going to do a damn thing, that much is clear - so either science saves us, or we cook.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye but the point is, me as an individual not getting on a plane or not eating a steak isn't going to solve the climate crisis. This needs addressing from the top down, not by me not going on holiday.

As long as politicians sit on their hands, the rest of us are wasting our time making micro lifestyle changes.

every little helps. the more of us that do those things, the more it changes industries, the more it becomes part of the conversation, the more the chance the policymakers pay attention. 

we also have to support pressure groups such as just stop oil, however annoying they might be 

the whole thing is infuriating. and requires coordinated policymaking, which is completely absent. 

an example: the wife and i try to do our bit. she's vegan, i'm about 75% vegan. we have taken one flight in the past 5 years. we were researching holidays at home and abroad this summer and flying/driving is almost always cheaper than taking the train. it's nuts 

17 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Translation: "I'm a fucking selfish cunt like every other fucker at the end of the day, I'm just too lazy to even bother virtue signalling now". ;)

I mean, you're argument here is similar to people who don't bother voting because one vote never changes an election really. And I don't entirely disagree. It's up to the government to incentivise behavioural change. My objection is with things like ULEZ where they screw the less well off, as usual.

As for holidays, soon it will be too hot to go abrtoad in peak summer and there will be no snow left to ski in, so there's that. 

15 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

stop having kids is another thing we can do, so Gemmill is probably entitled to more steaks and flights than most tbf

This is - unironically - my attitude entirely. Nothing I do (or can afford to do) leisure-wise would come close to the environmental impact of adding one more person to the planet. Plus I do nice things for other people's kids like organising events that give them a better chance of staying healthy and active over their lifetime. So fuck all y'all, I'm off to Lanzarote. :good: 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Way I see it, there'll be one kid born who'll come up with an idea to fix the planet, or come up with a way to organise the people into eating the rich.

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Translation: "I'm a fucking selfish cunt like every other fucker at the end of the day, I'm just too lazy to even bother virtue signalling now". ;)

I mean, you're argument here is similar to people who don't bother voting because one vote never changes an election really. And I don't entirely disagree. It's up to the government to incentivise behavioural change. My objection is with things like ULEZ where they screw the less well off, as usual.

As for holidays, soon it will be too hot to go abrtoad in peak summer and there will be no snow left to ski in, so there's that. 

I bet your A3 is diesel.

1 hour ago, Renton said:

This'd be a start

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Meenzer said:

This is - unironically - my attitude entirely. Nothing I do (or can afford to do) leisure-wise would come close to the environmental impact of adding one more person to the planet. Plus I do nice things for other people's kids like organising events that give them a better chance of staying healthy and active over their lifetime. So fuck all y'all, I'm off to Lanzarote. :good: 

Except clearly you are going to need somebody to wipe your arse in the OAP home? It's not like we should just stop breeding and the last pensioner left can turn off the light when they snuff it, because they will probably forget to. 

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I bet your A3 is diesel.

Petrol, ultra-efficient 3 cylinder, and we only have 1 car for 4 of us. Pretty much everyone else in the whole street have two or more, as I bet you do.  Can't really afford anopther one tbh, the environment doesn't come into my decision making, I'm honest enough to admit it. 

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

Except clearly you are going to need somebody to wipe your arse in the OAP home? It's not like we should just stop breeding and the last pensioner left can turn off the light when they snuff it, because they will probably forget to. 

I'm not expecting other people's morals around this topic to be as rock-solid as mine, so there'll be plenty of arse-wipers lining up to have at me.

• Haha 1