Nothing to see here version 2.0

The Fish

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that why the cups are disregarded?

It's bollocks man.

The cups are disregarded because they offer marginal financial benefit at significant risk.

The extra games involved in getting to a final of a cup would be like adding 15% to our season. If we get another £800k from getting to the semis but drop down the league a couple of places as a result, losing £1.6m in the process, it's a costly exercise.

I'm not saying it's what I want to see as a fan, but that's the logic behind it.

What's bollocks? Pardew's contract?

So what league position would have been ambitious given last years relegation battle?

Why was there a relegation battle last year? Lack of ambition & intent & almost negligible penny pinching - from the lack of summer signing to Ba's contract. One signing in the summer wasn't enough & clearly nor was the preparation for european football - which most journalists told us at the start of the season.

Regards the cups - Alan Pardew has never started his strongest team in a cup competition - not even once. Which is why we've never got past the 4th round of either of the cups.

Why was there a relegation battle last year? Lack of ambition & intent & almost negligible penny pinching - from the lack of summer signing to Ba's contract. One signing in the summer wasn't enough & clearly nor was the preparation for european football - which most journalists told us at the start of the season.

Regards the cups - Alan Pardew has never started his strongest team in a cup competition - not even once. Which is why we've never got past the 4th round of either of the cups.

Why not do as your always telling me and just answer the question :lol:

What league position?

The cups are disregarded because they offer marginal financial benefit at significant risk.

The extra games involved in getting to a final of a cup would be like adding 15% to our season. If we get another £800k from getting to the semis but drop down the league a couple of places as a result, losing £1.6m in the process, it's a costly exercise.

I'm not saying it's what I want to see as a fan, but that's the logic behind it.

What's bollocks? Pardew's contract?

I know the logic behind it - I wrote an article for the Chronicle regards our foul attitude towards the cups. If our squad really is the ''strongest in years'' why are they so satisfied with mere premier league existence?

You can win the F.A cup in six games..& it's been pretty much established bar a massive fuck up that we're finishing 8th.

We entered the year on 33pts - so we were at no risk of relegation or even a poor league performance. Yet we meekly surrendered against Cardiff? The attitude comes from the top & that affects the players.

I don't think you understand the concept of competitive sport & don't try and put words in my mouth - it really is pathetic.

You are trying to be clever (as usual) but painted yourself into a corner this time.

Regardless of why (and there are various factors) we battled relegation, setting the manager a top ten finish the following year is realistic.

That of course does not mean that internally they are not wanting to finish even higher. Top ten encompasses 1 - 10 by the way.

Are you sure? If they wanted to finish higher why only spend £350k in the summer window? Is Shola Ameobi good enough? Papiss Cisse, Steven Taylor - there's plenty of others to point the finger at.

Why would they want European football when it probably cost more money than it made them? The ambition is to exist in the premier league - that's it & everything points towards that.

There is zero ambition coming from the top - which is why Joe Kinnear was appointed Director of football. A job for the boys - simple as that.

Are you sure? If they wanted to finish higher why only spend £350k in the summer window? Is Shola Ameobi good enough? Papiss Cisse, Steven Taylor - there's plenty of others to point the finger at.

Why would they want European football when it probably cost more money than it made them? The ambition is to exist in the premier league - that's it & everything points towards that.

There is zero ambition coming from the top - which is why Joe Kinnear was appointed Director of football. A job for the boys - simple as that.

I think the last few years are littered with moments of incompetence rather than a lack of ambition such as not strengthening at the right time.

That doesn't mean there isn't a desire to take the club forward.

Ashley was new to football and his cock ups are legendary but little by little the wheels have gone back on and we are IMO in a very decent position.

Let's see where we are at the end of March.

What mistake do you think was made after 11/12 that led to the problems in 12/13 CT?

Not being funny but I honestly can't be arsed to go back on forth with that discussion. But basically.....

Lack of investment

Over reliance on youngsters

Over confidence having finished 5th

Moving Cisse to the wing to keep Demba happy

Having no creativity on the left

To name a few.

All of which can be underpinned by having an owner who knows / knew little about running a football club.

Kinnear said: "I will not let any player leave Newcastle United in this transfer window."

article_img.jpg

This is from Sky - he also said that we'll only bid for Cabella if a first team player gets injured.

'Ambitious' :banana:

Not being funny but I honestly can't be arsed to go back on forth with that discussion. But basically.....

Lack of investment

Over reliance on youngsters

Over confidence having finished 5th

Moving Cisse to the wing to keep Demba happy

Having no creativity on the left

To name a few.

All of which can be underpinned by having an owner who knows / knew little about running a football club.

What makes you think he's learned any lessons?

You sound a lot like you did at the end of 11/12 right now.

In 12/13 you laid all the blame with Pardew and wanted him sacked.

All of a sudden we're on the brink of greatness again and your ill-founded optimism for Ashley doing what it takes to push on seems to have returned without any foundation.

Posted Image

This is from Sky - he also said that we'll only bid for Cabella if a first team player gets injured.

'Ambitious' :banana:

Link?

Only thing I can see on Sky is this which does sound quite positive. :banana:

Newcastle are considering a move for Basel midfielder Mohamad Salah, one of the stars of the Swiss side's fine UEFA Champions League campaign, Sky Sports sources understand.

The Egypt international scored for Basel in both of their Champions League victories over Chelsea this season.

Sky Sports sources also understand Newcastle are still trying to firm up a deal for Borussia Monchengladbach striker Luuk de Jong.

The Magpies hope to bring in the Dutchman on loan with a view to a permanent deal in the summer, but the Bundesliga side prefer a permanent deal now and they value De Jong at £10m.

Meanwhile Joe Kinnear, Newcastle's director of football, has insisted that no players will be leaving in January.

Midfielder Yohan Cabaye has been linked with the likes of Arsenal and - more recently - Paris St Germain, but Kinnear said: "I will not let any player leave Newcastle United in this transfer window."

What makes you think he's learned any lessons?

You sound a lot like you did at the end of 11/12 right now.

In 12/13 you laid all the blame with Pardew and wanted him sacked.

All of a sudden we're on the brink of greatness again and your ill-founded optimism for Ashley doing what it takes to push on seems to have returned without any foundation.

Dear me :lol:

Sorry for sounding positive being in 8th seven points of a CL spot with a couple of winnable games to come and a really doable March.

As for optimism being ill founded, you're welcome to your view. I think the transformation over the last few years is there for all to see every Saturday.

Surely if we continue with the transfer policy of the last few years, we will only keep improving?

Whether that's good enough to sneak a CL spot is a different matter but given an Arab taking over it seems the best way forward to me.

Cabaye will hit his valuation peak after a good World Cup I reckon. Convince him to stay until the summer, secure the highest possible League spot, identify a replacement now, sign that lad in the summer for >£10m and I think it's very good business.

Sell him now for £25m to PSG, watch him have a great world cup, identify a sub-par replacement next january, sign that lad in the following summer for >£5m and I think it's poor business.

fwiw, the PSG link seems to be conjecture, he's not definitely gone if we sign Cabella. All the quotes are that vague "Well everyone has a price and there's nothing we can do about it" from Pardew and "He's a good player and I know him from ages ago" from Blanc.

I'm not certain he's staying, but I'd personally hold onto him until after the World Cup

I thought there were concerns that if we wait till summer, he could buy himself out of the remainder of his contract for about £6m. There seems to be a rule allowing that, not that it ever seems to get used. Something to do with the age of the player when signed, and possibly if signed from overseas.

If there is anything in that, then I say sell him now.

If not then I agree with you - unless it means we don't get Cabella now. I actually think I'd rather get it over with now, when we're safe but aren't going to achieve anything, then we do it over the summer and realise that the team doesn't work next season.

Edited by Rayvin

Dear me :lol:

Sorry for sounding positive being in 8th seven points of a CL spot with a couple of winnable games to come and a really doable March.

As for optimism being ill founded, you're welcome to your view. I think the transformation over the last few years is there for all to see every Saturday.

Surely if we continue with the transfer policy of the last few years, we will only keep improving?

Whether that's good enough to sneak a CL spot is a different matter but given an Arab taking over it seems the best way forward to me.

:lol:

I thought there were concerns that if we wait till summer, he could buy himself out of the remainder of his contract for about £6m. There seems to be a rule allowing that, not that it ever seems to get used. Something to do with the age of the player when signed, and possibly if signed from overseas.

If there is anything in that, then I say sell him now.

If not then I agree with you - unless it means we don't get Cabella now. I actually think I'd rather get it over with now, when we're safe but aren't going to achieve anything, then we do it over the summer and realise that the team doesn't work next season.

I doubt Cabaye has £6m available to him.