Nothing to see here version 2.0

The Fish

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know that, but thats not what you asked.

So it's shite that 10th is our aim and we're out for 8th and that's hunky dory whilst at the same time we hope that our team sprinkled with 'squad' players can get lucky in the early rounds of the cup?

Ah yes, the lean mean contender that doesn't actually want to contend for any trophies.

Trophies are dangerous and can get you relegated. Come on man it's all about existing.

We'll all be able to reminisce with grattitude about the season we finished 8th or 10th or whatever, we're still in the money league right??

I'd be very worried if Cabaye goes this window. When you look at our results and performances without him this season, they're much poorer than when he's playing.

We just don't have anyone in the squad that can drive us forward and pick a pass like he can (not to mention the fact that he's actually a goal threat). Anita is a good player but he just not got that bit extra in an attacking sense that Cabaye has.

There also doesn't seem to be any plan that we've heard of for replacing him if he does go (no I don't expect them to be shouting it from the rooftops but the press usually get wind of these sorts of things). Cabella has been mentioned but from what I understand he's more of a winger, that would still leave us short in the middle.

Really? I've not seen anything of him but that seemed to be what people were saying about him.

He can play wide but starts in the middle most of the time

Cabaye will hit his valuation peak after a good World Cup I reckon. Convince him to stay until the summer, secure the highest possible League spot, identify a replacement now, sign that lad in the summer for >£10m and I think it's very good business.

Sell him now for £25m to PSG, watch him have a great world cup, identify a sub-par replacement next january, sign that lad in the following summer for >£5m and I think it's poor business.

fwiw, the PSG link seems to be conjecture, he's not definitely gone if we sign Cabella. All the quotes are that vague "Well everyone has a price and there's nothing we can do about it" from Pardew and "He's a good player and I know him from ages ago" from Blanc.

I'm not certain he's staying, but I'd personally hold onto him until after the World Cup

Not really what I said now is it?

Ok, you also said "The shambles we were post Keegan'. Those who mistrust our owner get accused of wearing blinkers but you seem to reluctantly admit the shambles was Ashley's making when pulled up on it but cannot put the words 'shambles' and 'Ashley' in the same sentence putting KK's name there instead.

You also said 10th wasn't our aim, so if it isn't what is? You then mention 8th which is where West Brom finished last year. I bet there wasn't street parties last May throughout the West Bromwich area, though?

I think it would benefit Cabaye to stay until after the world cup too. Being here has never stopped him getting picked for France and he's settled in his role in the team and playing well. In order for him to be at his peak for the world cup he wants to make sure he's playing regularly for the rest of the season (something that's certainly not guaranteed at PSG) and playing well. Being settled here and knowing excatly what the manager expects of him here will no doubt help his form.

I think it would benefit Cabaye to stay until after the world cup too. Being here has never stopped him getting picked for France and he's settled in his role in the team and playing well. In order for him to be at his peak for the world cup he wants to make sure he's playing regularly for the rest of the season (something that's certainly not guaranteed at PSG) and playing well. Being settled here and knowing excatly what the manager expects of him here will no doubt help his form.

He'll be away next summer at the latest pending a decent bid for him. Any later and the price starts dropping as his contract starts running down. No way on God's earth they'd let him stay here for the length of his contract even if he wanted to stay which I doubt.

He'll be away next summer at the latest pending a decent bid for him. Any later and the price starts dropping as his contract starts running down. No way on God's earth they'd let him stay here for the length of his contract even if he wanted to stay which I doubt.

Yeah I agree with that.

Ok, you also said "The shambles we were post Keegan'. Those who mistrust our owner get accused of wearing blinkers but you seem to reluctantly admit the shambles was Ashley's making when pulled up on it but cannot put the words 'shambles' and 'Ashley' in the same sentence putting KK's name there instead. 

You also said 10th wasn't our aim, so if it isn't what is? You then mention 8th which is where West Brom finished last year. I bet there wasn't street parties last May throughout the West Bromwich area, though?

I mention the shambles where we were to contrast where we are now as a club. Why were a shambles has been done to death. Shepherd for getting us into such a mess, Ashley for not spotting Shepherds mess etc etc.

It's all old boring stuff.

More interesting to me is the state of the club now. Sure we are not the entertainers but having been a fan for over 40 years I'm quite used to not winning cups and generally being a shit football team.

So concentrating on the state of the club post Sir Bobby, all round I think we are in good nick now and moving in the right direction.

Of course this owner isn't going to throw fortunes at it but none ever have here or at most clubs, so our best policy is to have a plan B which we seem to have.

Of course I would like an owner who wants to spend his fortune making us great but I'd also like a lottery win as well.

I mention the shambles where we were to contrast where we are now as a club. Why were a shambles has been done to death. Shepherd for getting us into such a mess, Ashley for not spotting Shepherds mess etc etc.

It's all old boring stuff.

More interesting to me is the state of the club now. Sure we are not the entertainers but having been a fan for over 40 years I'm quite used to not winning cups and generally being a shit football team.

So concentrating on the state of the club post Sir Bobby, all round I think we are in good nick now and moving in the right direction.

Of course this owner isn't going to throw fortunes at it but none ever have here or at most clubs, so our best policy is to have a plan B which we seem to have.

Of course I would like an owner who wants to spend his fortune making us great but I'd also like a lottery win as well.

:lol:

So Ashley's only mistake was not spotting Shepherds mess?

And we're now concentrating on the state of the club 'post Sir Bobby' now?

It might be boring stuff to you but a future where we openly, (and not so openly), have no ambition stinks.

So Ashley's only mistake was not spotting Shepherds mess?

And we're now concentrating on the state of the club 'post Sir Bobby' now?

It might be boring stuff to you but a future where we openly, (and not so openly), have no ambition stinks.

You obviously want to have your own discussion which is fine :lol:

My comments this morning were about how well we are currently placed as a club, particularly compared to the best part of ten years.

You want to see that as no ambition, I see it differently. Bringing in players like Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Tiote, Anita, Debuchy, Sissoko etc and now this Cabella fella doesn't look to me like a lack of ambition.

It looks exactly like a modern club having a great plan to try and compete with the mega rich clubs.

The stated aims at the start of the season were :-

1. Secure a Top Ten Finish

2.???

That by no means of the imagination is ambitious.

Publicly stated aims and actual internal targets are two entirely different things.

Pardew's contract structure means he gets paid significantly more as we climb the league table. There is no incentive for him to get to 8th then stop.