Politics

Christmas Tree

Labour are well ahead of the conservatives in the polls CT, and Milliband's stock has also risen. Agree he was an absolutely awful choice, but there's a strong likelihood he might be the next PM as traditional Liberal voters migrate to labour.

Labour are well ahead of the conservatives in the polls CT, and Milliband's stock has also risen. Agree he was an absolutely awful choice, but there's a strong likelihood he might be the next PM as traditional Liberal voters migrate to labour.
b

1. Polls are a waste of time mid parliament.

2. All journos will tell you that the knives are being sharpened for Red Ed and this conference is seen as make or break for him.

With regard to the bigger political picture Labour have already said that they won't alter the cuts, or slow them down after all that "too much too fast" crap.

But they will launch another year long spending review if they get in!

Last thing the country needs tbf.

If they want to get into power ( and unlike Blair and co in 97 I don't think this lot has what it takes), they need to start talking up some decent real policies that are more than fiddling with numbers.

I disagree. A massive condem backlash will probably be enough to get labour in power or at least gain seats so they are the biggest party in a new coalition. It's massively depressing in any case.

Why do you call him 'red Ed' when he's anything but?

I disagree. A massive condem backlash will probably be enough to get labour in power or at least gain seats so they are the biggest party in a new coalition. It's massively depressing in any case.

Why do you call him 'red Ed' when he's anything but?

He was called red ed because his policies (pre power) were considered far left and because it woz the unions wot won it for him

He was called red ed because his policies (pre power) were considered far left and because it woz the unions wot won it for him

Aye, but he's clearly not particularly left wing now. I wish his brother had won it, he would have wiped the floor with Cameron, who incidentally has exceeded all my expectations in mediocrity. I know you're not going to agree on that btw. ;)

Aye, but he's clearly not particularly left wing now. I wish his brother had won it, he would have wiped the floor with Cameron, who incidentally has exceeded all my expectations in mediocrity. I know you're not going to agree on that btw. ;)

I like a "good politician" whatever the colour. When I say good, I don't mean the whitest of the white etc etc I mean good at politics.

There is no one currently surfacing on the Labour side that is interesting me (and I dare say inspiring the public).

Labour should have rolled with Harriet Harman for a few years while they sorted themselves out.

I think the other Milliband is equally as dull btw.

Guest CabayeAye

Cameron is a fucking awful PM, but the very last thing this country needs is Labour in power again after the way Blair and Brown completely fucked us over in every way imaginable. And Ed Miliband is a weasel faced cunt. If he gets PM, I'll migrate.

If they want to get into power ( and unlike Blair and co in 97 I don't think this lot has what it takes), they need to start talking up some decent real policies that are more than fiddling with numbers.

No they don't. If Labour could usurp Milliband with someone with a shread of imagination and personality, then it's theirs to lose. Which is depressing cosidering their policies are made by a random word generator and that they are still riddled with failures and fiddlers from the last government. Keith Vaz is still out there offering his critique- shouldn't he be focusing on securing passports for Indian businessmen? What's Mandy up to these days?

The Tories are being shown up on a lot of issues, Cameron is left of the party's power base and is clearly under pressure with the rightwards lurch during the reshuffle. Mitchell's rant has written at least one Labour election poster for them and it turns out that the crowding-out principle only works when there is actually some private sector activity to take the place of reduced public sector activity. Who could have seen that coming?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pensionschemes/automatic-enrolment.htm

To be fair, anyone starting out in working life with one of these has missed the boat by about 20 years, the poor fuckers. Our kids will have to/hope to benefit from the huge increase in property prices that their parents have benefitted from in the last 20 years for their pensions too, unless theres another bubble coming our way....

http://www.hmrc.gov....c-enrolment.htm

To be fair, anyone starting out in working life with one of these has missed the boat by about 20 years, the poor fuckers. Our kids will have to/hope to benefit from the huge increase in property prices that their parents have benefitted from in the last 20 years for their pensions too, unless theres another bubble coming our way....

If more young people voted, this would be less of an issue. Old people are of little use to the economy, but have a huge sway in who holds office, so policies are directed towards them- just look how hard it is to remove bus passes, fuel discounts etc from wealthy retirees. It's like a social ponzi scheme, people keep putting in but eventually everyone will realise those at the bottom will have nothing to show for their contributions.