Politics

Christmas Tree

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Your MP's place of birth and university record should only be in any way relevant if they affect that MP's positions or ability to do their best for their constituents. Given her continual ability to increase her majority in Liverpool I don't think that her constituents have been unhappy with her performance so what the fuck does her pre-political life and the fact that he didn't work eight days a week down the pit got to do with anything?

I recall a great deal of frustration with George Osborne about the fact he was the chancellor on the back of having a history degree and never having worked a day in his life in terms of ordinary jobs.

I don't know how true the idea that she will lose her seat at the next GE is, but surely that weakens your position if true, suggesting that people vote for parties instead of individuals (which I personally feel is mostly true with some exceptional outliers). And again, PL (without putting words in his mouth, but we seem fairly aligned atm) is talking about her being a symbol of the general malaise and disconnect between parliament and the public. Maybe some grounding in what it's actually like to live under most of their policies as a normal person would be a useful experience for many MPs.

Whether the public vote for her or not, as we see with Brexit, does not mean they're necessarily voting in their interests.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Was he majority increased on the back of a left wing manifesto though? 

You’d have to include Miliband’s manifesto as left wing if you were to come to that conclusion.

5 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Ok I’ll bend over and accept my arse kicking ewerk :lol: 

Am not aware of her voting record and am fucked if I’m googling it in a desperate attempt to make myself look clever on the internet. The circumstances of her appointment appear to be disputed if what I read at the weekend is true. 

In my opinion she’s plainly a centrist in the Blairite mould. As I’ve said in the past I never voted for him because I thought he was basically just another fuckin Tory. That feeling remains with Chukka & the rest of the fuckin chickens. They don’t seem to have realised that this 50 year argument on the Tory back benches has changed politics in his country forever. Populism is on the rise all over Europe. I think we’re stuck with it and the sort of corporate friendly fuckwittery of 20 years won’t win another election in this country for the foreseeable future. 

See my problem is with labels like ‘Blairite’ and ‘centrist’. It means that you can easily dismiss people without actually having to do any research into seeing what they do stand for. It’s a lazy position that seems to have crept in from the left.

You say there’s a rise in populism but that’s partly being fuelled by this belief in that you’re either right wing or far left and if you don’t agree with my views on everything then you’re automatically a cunt. Life and politics isn’t as straightforward as that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

You’d have to include Miliband’s manifesto as left wing if you were to come to that conclusion.

Accepted due to your apparent huge and just a tiny bit bizarre knowledge of the voting record in the Liverpool  Wavertree constituency :lol: 

Did she also increase her majority in 2017? 

9 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I recall a great deal of frustration with George Osborne about the fact he was the chancellor on the back of having a history degree and never having worked a day in his life in terms of ordinary jobs.

I don't know how true the idea that she will lose her seat at the next GE is, but surely that weakens your position if true, suggesting that people vote for parties instead of individuals (which I personally feel is mostly true with some exceptional outliers). And again, PL (without putting words in his mouth, but we seem fairly aligned atm) is talking about her being a symbol of the general malaise and disconnect between parliament and the public. Maybe some grounding in what it's actually like to live under most of their policies as a normal person would be a useful experience for many MPs.

Whether the public vote for her or not, as we see with Brexit, does not mean they're necessarily voting in their interests.

John McDonnell has two political degrees and spent most of his life as a professional politician. What qualifies him to be chancellor?

7 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Accepted due to your apparent huge and just a tiny bit bizarre knowledge of the voting record in the Liverpool  Wavertree constituency :lol: 

Did she also increase her majority in 2017? 

Not as much as she did under Miliband.

Doing a bit of research on the facts before reaching a conclusion is now seen as bizarre? :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Nothing.

And Corbyn whose views you largely agree with? He’s an academic underachiever who has been in professional politics nearly all his adult life. What experience does he have of living as an ordinary joe?

7 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Depends when you did them. After you read my post? :lol:

I knew that there was no way she was parachuted into the seat and had to fight for selection like anyone else. I also knew she was incredibly popular among her constituents. The election figures may have taken about ten seconds of googling...

15 minutes ago, ewerk said:

And Corbyn whose views you largely agree with? He’s an academic underachiever who has been in professional politics nearly all his adult life. What experience does he have of living as an ordinary joe?

Well, looking at it logically, if I can't vote for an MP that has a grounding in normal life + good policies, then I may as well vote for one with good policies. If you'd asked me a couple of years ago then I think the 'ordinary guy' thing would have been less significant - having seen the total failure of someone who has 'good policies' and still seems to willfully throw the country over the cliff edge for the sake of a political gain, I say again, I can see PL's view.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2019 at 12:48, ewerk said:

I knew that there was no way she was parachuted into the seat and had to fight for selection like anyone else. I also knew she was incredibly popular among her constituents. The election figures may have taken about ten seconds of googling...

And another thing.... she fought so hard for her selection that she literally lived at the incumbent Labour member for Wavertree’s house in the run up to the candidate election in 2010.  Said incumbent’s partner ran the actual election and the count was also done at their house :lol:

So his view is that Anti-Semitism is a scourge, but that Labour have accepted the shafting they've had from the press over this too readily - I guess, thus making themselves look bad in the process, when in fact they do a lot of very positive anti-racist work which no fucker in the media gives a shit about because it doesn't get clicks.

Well I mean, I am just outraged that this man had an opinion that doesn't follow the media line. Outraged. I assume he will be executed in the normal way, by use of Twitter.

• Jaysus... 1