Politics

Christmas Tree

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I think you probably would’ve hoped for that. Hope and expectation aren’t the same thing though. Obviously I am pulling your leg a bit too. I do think there’s an element of underplaying how poorly the Tories have performed though too. Was there any indication beforehand that Westminster (fucking WESTMINSTER) would go to Labour? For example 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10788987/Defiant-Boris-brushes-London-Tory-bloodbath-local-elections.html

Incredible spin :lol: 

My rate two penneth. I think @Rayvin summed it up with the leave / remain comparison.

Labour have done great in some of the cities and less well in the towns.

If Boris stays, they will probably win with a reduced majority, if he goes it will be even stevens.

Labour really need to find a leader with charisma. If they had one already the next election wouldn’t be in doubt. 

Keir just doesn’t appeal to the masses and that’s the top and bottom of it.

Also Labour need to paint a “sunny uplands” of a Labour victory. Simply slagging off bad Boris will not do it.

They need a Blair.

17 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Aye. The amount of people who buy that rag as well. It’s largely preaching to the choir but it’s almost Soviet levels of propaganda putting it like that

20 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

My rate two penneth. I think @Rayvin summed it up with the leave / remain comparison.

If Boris stays, they will probably win with a reduced majority, if he goes it will be even stevens.

Labour really need to find a leader with charisma. If they had one already the next election wouldn’t be in doubt. 

Also Labour need to paint a “sunny uplands” of a Labour victory. Simply slagging off bad Boris will not do it.

They need a Blair.

Agree largely re: Starmer but it’s the timing too. I’m not sure how Blair or anyone else would square the Brexit circle and appease both leavers and remainders. Regarding the next GE, the polls have suggested for a long time now Labour will be the largest party. I’m not sure how that gets turned around given what’s in the post either. Labour might not have a majority but I’d rather they formed a coalition anyway as that’s the best chance of much needed electoral reform. 

35 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

They need a Blair.

I find it absolutely staggering people value "charisma" over competence, integrity, and honesty, and even more staggering that anybody believes "Boris" is charismatic. That's by the by anyhow. If the BoE predictions are anywhere near accurate, and I think they are, you party is fucked no matter who is is charge, cos its not getting better in the next 2 years and the hard times haven't even begun yet. Even based on today's results your party is toast (see below). They've taken their eyes of the blue wall while courting the red wall. They've also shafted farmers in the Shires (who weren't up for election yesterday). The tories have no natural allies left (they betrayed the Lib Dems and then the DUP) so they won't be leading a coalition. I'd be amazed if Johnson isn't involved in several more scandals too. "Boris just being Boris". 

Edited by Renton

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Agree largely re: Starmer but it’s the timing too. I’m not sure how Blair or anyone else would square the Brexit circle and appease both leavers and remainders. Regarding the next GE, the polls have suggested for a long time now Labour will be the largest party. I’m not sure how that gets turned around given what’s in the post either. Labour might not have a majority but I’d rather they formed a coalition anyway as that’s the best chance of much needed electoral reform. 

Really not sure Brexit is that much of any issue any more. It's increasingly becoming a hard sell. A lot of very Brexit areas went Lib Dem yesterday, as they did in that by election a few months ago too. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

Really not sure Brexit is that much of any issue any more. It's increasingly becoming a hard sell. A lot of very Brexit areas went Lib Dem yesterday, as they did in that by election a few months ago too. 

It will still be a huge pulling factor in a general election with the mean EU and immigrants being responsible for your state of the economy. There will be enough idiots buying into it.

• Like 1

As much as you don't value it Renton, I think a lot of people do need a vision or a narrative to follow on with - and I think it's predominantly down to the fact that a large number of people's lives have been and remain totally shit, and that some positive messaging about a future to move into is going to be worth its weight in gold compared to the idea that the situation will remain basically the same but will be better managed. I've been saying it for years but we're crying out for some fucking vision from Labour - but at this point I don't think it's ever going to come because the party fundamentally doesn't know who it is anymore.

And with that in mind, we need to get back to a position wherein parties can campaign passionately for issues they really care about and believe in the value of, without worrying about losing everything in the process. Coalition can deliver that, if Labour can just get their heads out of their arses long enough to see it.

I also continue to believe Brexit will be a big factor next time out but I'm prepared to acknowledge that my own bias may be blinding me on that.

10 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

It will still be a huge pulling factor in a general election with the mean EU and immigrants being responsible for your state of the economy. There will be enough idiots buying into it.

In some areas, maybe. I think personally these will be limited to areas like Hartlepool and Grimsby though, absolute shit holes inhabited by morons. But most Brexit votes came from rural areas and the SE. These areas are turning away from the tories. Also, it's canny difficult to blame things on the EU 8 years after you've voted to leave and 4 years since you actually did. You can persuade the gammon UKIP crowd but not the average Joe who is struggling. A reminder, most working people voted Remain. 

7 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

As much as you don't value it Renton, I think a lot of people do need a vision or a narrative to follow on with - and I think it's predominantly down to the fact that a large number of people's lives have been and remain totally shit, and that some positive messaging about a future to move into is going to be worth its weight in gold compared to the idea that the situation will remain basically the same but will be better managed. I've been saying it for years but we're crying out for some fucking vision from Labour - but at this point I don't think it's ever going to come because the party fundamentally doesn't know who it is anymore.

And with that in mind, we need to get back to a position wherein parties can campaign passionately for issues they really care about and believe in the value of, without worrying about losing everything in the process. Coalition can deliver that, if Labour can just get their heads out of their arses long enough to see it.

I also continue to believe Brexit will be a big factor next time out but I'm prepared to acknowledge that my own bias may be blinding me on that.

I think Labour do need a positive vision. Last time they put one out early though, the tories stole their ideas. You'll need to wait for a manifesto nearer the GE. 

17 minutes ago, Renton said:

I find it absolutely staggering people value "charisma" over competence, integrity, and honesty

Honesty? 

He lied through his teeth with his ten pledges during the leadership election and since has ordered abstentions on anything requiring principles - oh except for once when he changed an intended abstention on the policing bill to a vote against based on the Sarah Everard vigil making it impossible to follow his plan. Of course he made sure it passed in the Lords by giving Labour peers the day off. 

He might get back his tory focus group gammon bigots but he's losing Muslims, students, greens and others by the bucket load. 

34 minutes ago, Renton said:

In some areas, maybe. I think personally these will be limited to areas like Hartlepool and Grimsby though, absolute shit holes inhabited by morons. But most Brexit votes came from rural areas and the SE. These areas are turning away from the tories. Also, it's canny difficult to blame things on the EU 8 years after you've voted to leave and 4 years since you actually did. You can persuade the gammon UKIP crowd but not the average Joe who is struggling. A reminder, most working people voted Remain. 

I will be at a wedding in Buckinghamshire in a couple  of weeks and will give an update on the die hard tory mood.

30 minutes ago, NJS said:

Honesty? 

He lied through his teeth with his ten pledges during the leadership election and since has ordered abstentions on anything requiring principles - oh except for once when he changed an intended abstention on the policing bill to a vote against based on the Sarah Everard vigil making it impossible to follow his plan. Of course he made sure it passed in the Lords by giving Labour peers the day off. 

He might get back his tory focus group gammon bigots but he's losing Muslims, students, greens and others by the bucket load. 

It's relative. He is a paragon of virtue compared with Johnson. Low bar, I know. Starmer is playing the long game to get in power because otherwise what is the point? He's come from a humble background with tragedy in his life to become head of the CPS, suggesting massive competence to me. Again compare and contrast with Johnson. Not an easy job sorting out the shit Corbyn left behind though, leading labour to its absolute nadir. 

• Like 1

I'm sure I read forecasts last night from a couple of analysts who said that the 800 seats lost was pie in the sky and they expected it to be in the range of 200. Well they're now down just shy of 400 seats. A shitshow by any measure. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Labour's best share of the vote in a decade

BBC: Labour's disappointing performance

Could be worse.

image.thumb.png.e9b65b2394ef878b6f2e59c5e2ebdc69.png

• Jaysus... 1

22 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I'm sure I read forecasts last night from a couple of analysts who said that the 800 seats lost was pie in the sky and they expected it to be in the range of 200. Well they're now down just shy of 400 seats. A shitshow by any measure. 

Nearly 500 in the end and it’s still being called a ‘mixed set results for the two main parties’ on the ITV news this evening. What a fucking joke Pestyn and co are, man 

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

So how much shit is Starmer in?…. If he gets a FPN he should walk….who does that leave?… are Cooper and Burnham too tarnishes with Blairism to be considered as electable? 🤔

https://news.sky.com/story/beergate-memo-calls-into-question-starmers-claim-that-he-did-not-break-lockdown-rules-12607392

Burnham isn’t an MP is he?

8 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

So how much shit is Starmer in?…. If he gets a FPN he should walk….who does that leave?… are Cooper and Burnham too tarnishes with Blairism to be considered as electable? 🤔

https://news.sky.com/story/beergate-memo-calls-into-question-starmers-claim-that-he-did-not-break-lockdown-rules-12607392

If he gets a fine I think he’ll have to go. It’s plausible the memo didn’t represent what took place, rather that it was just a rough plan. If that’s the only evidence would it be enough? Needs to be sorted out quickly one way or the other though. 

Are we serious, this stupid beer gate thing is enough to take him down? I thought that was meant to be above board?

If he goes it'll put pressure on the oaf, although he'll just ignore it and survive so that shouldn't be the reason to do it.

Labour should have a female leader next. Cooper I think.

7 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Are we serious, this stupid beer gate thing is enough to take him down? I thought that was meant to be above board?

If he goes it'll put pressure on the oaf, although he'll just ignore it and survive so that shouldn't be the reason to do it.

Labour should have a female leader next. Cooper I think.

I don’t think he’ll be fined. I just think that if he was he would need to go because of his stance on Johnson et al. 

• Like 1

Aye, you can’t make a massive deal out of wanting the PM to resign for receiving a FPN then not do the same yourself. Labour look to have played it incredibly badly but on the face of it it doesn’t seem like they’ve done much wrong legally.

Edited by ewerk
  • Like 2