Bank of England has revised down its productivity forecast because it sees disproportionate number of new jobs as low skilled and low output. The Tory-style recovery just keeps on truckin

Think the country badly needs electoral reform (and I thought that before the election). Can't see the Tories (or Labour) going for it as it would be Turkeys voting for Xmas. The FPTP system is so unfair and undemocratic. Apart from UKIP, the Greens (and even the Lib Dems) having so little to show for all their votes, it's ridiculous that the election is decided by such a small amount of people (in relative terms) in another relatively small amount of constituencies. Absolutely no appetite for it in the press either. Not that sure the electorate are ever going to get excited enough about the prospect of PR for it to happen any time soon either. I don't class AV as PR really. The Lib Dems really did sell themselves short there.

Think the country badly needs electoral reform (and I thought that before the election). Can't see the Tories (or Labour) going for it as it would be Turkeys voting for Xmas. The FPTP system is so unfair and undemocratic. Apart from UKIP, the Greens (and even the Lib Dems) having so little to show for all their votes, it's ridiculous that the election is decided by such a small amount of people (in relative terms) in another relatively small amount of constituencies. Absolutely no appetite for it in the press either. Not that sure the electorate are ever going to get excited enough about the prospect of PR for it to happen any time soon either. I don't class AV as PR really. The Lib Dems really did sell themselves short there.

We need a sexy face of Electoral Reform. I suggest Cat Deeley.

Electoral reform will happen as soon as someone proves it doesn't give disproportionate influence to extremists like UKIP, or proves it is better at identifying the will of the majority than the existing system. So basically, it will never happen.

Anyone that can't prove that PR identifies the will of the majority better than FPTP doesn't deserve a vote.

Prove it then. Let's see your working for how PR supposedly comes up with a better expression of what the majority wanted in this election, or the 2010 one for that matter.

As far as I can tell, PR would have either forced the Conservatives into coalition with UKIP, or would have resulted in a left wing coalition of parties forming a government representing the views of 46.8% of voters (Lab-Lib-SNP-Grn), with Con/UKIP's share of 49.5% being in opposition. I can't think of any definition of the concept of majority will that makes either of those outcomes sustainable as either fair or democratic. The same issues exist for the 2010 election.

It's what we have. We are ruled by an Establishment. Politics is window dressing. At least in China they are honest about it.

I agree to be honest, but at least if we all gave up the charade we could put some actual pressure on those in charge to make meaningful changes. The Chinese government is shit scared of the Chinese people. One significant uprising/mass protest would be all it would take to have them overthrown, and as a result of that they have to continuously be demonstrating that they're offering a better future for China. Of course, they control media narratives through state controlled press, and paint highly pro-China depictions of international events, along with extremely pro-CCP narratives for domestic affairs, which is the sort of thing that just does not happen in the UK...except that it does.

I actually think I've seen the Daily Mail print more utter bollocks in an attempt to control narratives than any Chinese newspaper I've ever read (which admittedly is less than 50, but that's more than the number of Daily Mail's I've read).

Our politicians do not fear us, they control and manipulate us while pretending to serve. The Chinese government controls and manipulates while actually delivering progress. If I had to choose one...

Fucking hell man! This country has a lot of problems but there's few I'd rather live in. Maybe I've been brainwashed by the western media but to say you'd prefer the Chinese regime. :lol:

Does a better job of it than FPTP though doesn't it, which was the question that you set.

I'm saying it doesn't. It can actually do a worse job in some respects, as this election proved.

How wouldn't it give a better representation of the will of the majority? If a coalition government represents 49.5% of the population then it's a darn sight better than the 36.5% the Conservatives have now. 36.5% of the (voting) population equalling a majority is a massive issue.

One issue is the idea that the word coalition is automatically an evil word. 'Well I'd rather keep FPTP because it equals a strong government'. Why? Coalition governments can work, as was proved (rightly or wrongly) after 2010. It brings extra checks and balances, allows a higher percentage of voters to have an actual voice and (if an extreme case of PR has been used) means every vote actually contributes directly to the outcome of the election. What's not to like?

Fucking hell man! This country has a lot of problems but there's few I'd rather live in. Maybe I've been brainwashed by the western media but to say you'd prefer the Chinese regime. :lol:

I lived in China for a while :lol: Maybe they did a hugely impressive brainwashing number on me but honest to God, if I could, I'd be living in Shanghai or Hong Kong right now.

I'm not blind to their many, many faults - human rights abuses, total disregard for the value of human life or animal life, almost fever pitch level nationalism, etc...but they're making huge inroads in green energy developments, they're positive about the future, they work hard as a nation and to be quite honest, once you get past the 'China is the new America' rhetoric, they're generally very pleasant people (as a comment about living there, rather than a critique of their government).

My central issue here is that our government is little better than theirs in terms of liberal values, and is massively less productive.

Edited by Rayvin