Politics

Christmas Tree

But it wouldn't be utter destruction. There be a war followed by a licking of wounds. Capitalism (as we know it today), would be fucked and the USSR could reclaim its former iron grip on all around it.

The west would be far too bust trying to keep a grip on a democratic society where as the USSR would thrive in the chaos.

What makes you think a million Hiroshima's wouldn't be utter destruction? Every major city, and most minor ones, in the world would be gone along with their inhabitants. Society would collapse now if there was a sustained power cut man.

OR, are you suggesting the situation in the 80s was propaganda and nuclear weapons aren't that bad?

Serious question...kinda... If Russia decided to launch a 'warning' Nuke at Newcastle, and wiped us off the map. Would that trigger nuclear war? I'm not 100% sure it would. London would be terrified of being nuked, and despite all the posturing, they might not let it escalate. Or do we reckon that all bets would be off and nukes would be flying everywhere?

I'm in a whimsical mood, humour me.

Edited by Rayvin

Serious question...kinda... If Russia decided to launch a 'warning' Nuke at Newcastle, and wiped us off the map. Would that trigger nuclear war? I'm not 100% sure it would. London would be terrified of being nuked, and despite all the posturing, they might not let it escalate. Or do we reckon that all bets would be off and nukes would be flying everywhere?

:lol: Think it would inevitably lead to Armageddon personally. Nobody believed on thew concept of limited nuclear war in the 1980s and not sure why that would change now.

But it does beg the question is CT aware the USSR no longer exists and Russia is a capitalist country now re: his earlier scenario.

It's an act of war, Nuclear war at that, we would have to respond and you can guarantee that we wouldn't aim for a parochial city. It'd be Moscow.

I tend to agree to some extent. I don't believe for one minute that one missile drops, a button is pressed and several thousand take to the air.

All we are talking about is the next Hitler figure. Forget the monster and remember instead the power crazy lunatic who could convince a close enough and growing circle that he could deliver a return to glory.

Putin?

70 years of peace seems to have lead many into a very false sense of security, is my point.

I tend to agree to some extent. I don't believe for one minute that one missile drops, a button is pressed and several thousand take to the air.

All we are talking about is the next Hitler figure. Forget the monster and remember instead the power crazy lunatic who could convince a close enough and growing circle that he could deliver a return to glory.

Putin?

70 years of peace seems to have lead many into a very false sense of security, is my point.

You're talking utter shit again, is your point.

A recent Gallup poll said the majority of residents (over 50 percent) of post-Soviet countries believe the collapse of the USSR to be a negative event.

Yeah but nobody in power in Russia is any longer interested in what they think.

The most powerful Russians have heavy investments in Europe and the UK. A lot of them have their children at our public schools etc...A lot of them have Swiss and UK passports. :lol:

Edited by Park Life

Oligarch money holds our banking system together by a thread. There will be no fighting over Ukraine.

That and the obvious threat of thermonuclear war. War between the big boys simply hasn't been on the cards since 29th August 1949.

In my naive youth I believed in CND. Now I think the nuclear deterrent is probably the only thing that prevented another global war.

That and the obvious threat of thermonuclear war. War between the big boys simply hasn't been on the cards since 29th August 1949.

In my naive youth I believed in CND. Now I think the nuclear deterrent is probably the only thing that prevented another global war.

Yup. Proxy wars are the only thing they dabble with now...Both sides. ie Syria, various bits of Africa etc..

But that concensus would allow a political coming together as we are seeing in Crimea.

Expect more.

http://english.pravda.ru/russia/politics/01-01-2014/126533-ussr_returns-0/

What consensus? You didn't give any exact figures.

I've never heard if an empire being reverse engineered before, it always happens the other way.

Edited by Renton

But that concensus would allow a political coming together as we are seeing in Crimea.

Expect more.

http://english.pravda.ru/russia/politics/01-01-2014/126533-ussr_returns-0/

There was never really any such thing as Communism in reality (it was just a holding mechanism ie state control over the masses). The ruling elite in Russia had just as much money in private banks then as they do now. Arab countries still have slavery (they started it long before it became an economic driver in europe)...There were white slaves from Ireland (redlegs) before there were black slaves in America...Things aren't what they seem bro. :lol:

Edited by Park Life

@ CT America was feeding Russia during the cold war mate. :lol:

That was then, this is now.

America isn't what it once was and Russia now has all of us suckling on its oil teet.

A quick Russian inspired degradation of Arabian oil fields and the West is screwed.

Once the oil pipe gets cut off, anarchy in the West.

Seems like a new Russian empire seems quite likely, particularly as Putin knows there is fuck all we can do about it. Look at the EU yesterday. Couldn't even agree any sort of action other than looking very cross :lol:

That was then, this is now.

America isn't what it once was and Russia now has all of us suckling on its oil teet.

A quick Russian inspired degradation of Arabian oil fields and the West is screwed.

Once the oil pipe gets cut off, anarchy in the West.

Seems like a new Russian empire seems quite likely, particularly as Putin knows there is fuck all we can do about it. Look at the EU yesterday. Couldn't even agree any sort of action other than looking very cross :lol:

Only a couple of years ago Putin wanted to join Nato. ;)

Edited by Park Life

Only a couple of years ago Putin wanted to join Nato. ;)

Only a couple of years ago he made it very clear where he saw a Russian future.

"Vladimir Putin has raised fears of a revival of the USSR after he revealed plans to create a so-called ‘Eurasian Union’ of former Soviet nations.

The Russian prime minister – who is all but certain to regain the presidency next year – wants the bloc to become ‘one of the poles of the modern world’, and a rival to the United States, the European Union and Asia".

He talked the talk, this seems like a good in for him to start walking the walk.

"In the past, Mr Putin has lamented the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991 as the ‘greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the 20th century’. But he denies the Kremlin’s proposed new alliance is an attempt to rebuild Russia’s old communist empire.

Instead, Mr Putin – who has effectively led the country for more than a decade, first as president and now as prime minister – claims the union would merely act as ‘an efficient link between Europe and the dynamic Asia-Pacific region’.

His assurances will do little to convince some ex-Soviet nations, however, many of whom are already suspicious of the Kremlin’s intentions.

Alexander Dugin, a political scholar, said the ‘Eurasian Union’ would become one of Mr Putin’s chief policies as president.

He added: ‘From the geopolitical viewpoint it represents an attempt to revive the USSR."

America has a war on drugs but drug money holds Wall street up. Nato is supposedly in perpetual conflict with Russia yet vast swathes of oligarch money holds our banking system up. China is meant to be in an arms race against America over Taiwan yet the Chinese are the biggest holders of U.S. debt. Think about it. ;)