Politics

Christmas Tree

I will probably lose over a grand a year, but while I'd rather have it, most working class people I know have always considered tax credits as a nice little something for nothing.

Aye but not the people for whom it makes the difference between being able to put food on the table or not? Are you incapable of seeing things from someone else's point of view?

Shrewd political move by George, takes the last remaining wind out of the already pretty limp sails of the Labour leadership contest, and perhaps opens up an idenitifiable fault line between him and Boris. He's cut the legs from under Labour's nasty party message because most of the electorate don't know or don't care about the macro-economic arguments, and to the swing voter they most likely do look almost completely identical now, meaning they will get re-elected in 2020 simply by not screwing up, due to the incumbency effect. Anyone who was concerned about tax credit cuts before the election definitely won't have been voting Tory, so it's not like it was going to be a vote loser for them.

'A nice little something'

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's money to help people pay the bills and live, not a box of chocolates and a bottle of wine for looking after Mrs Ramshaw's pet dog for a couple of days.

Aye but not the people for whom it makes the difference between being able to put food on the table or not? Are you incapable of seeing things from someone else's point of view?

I am, but you are incapable of understanding that if it stopped tomorrow, I would still feed my kids and live a happy life.

It's the single mothers and folk on the bare bones that really need the benefits.

You would have no clue given your £20 on a bowl of Jamie's soup, lifestyle. You are simply resorting to the sad Polly Toynbee school of political discussion.

It's money to help people pay the bills and live, not a box of chocolates and a bottle of wine for looking after Mrs Ramshaw's pet dog for a couple of days.

CT couldn't afford the Tony Robinson signature model of his metal detector because of this cut, I'll have you know. Walk a mile in his shoes.

I am, but you are incapable of understanding that if it stopped tomorrow, I would still feed my kids and live a happy life.

It's the single mothers and folk on the bare bones that really need the benefits.

You would have no clue given your £20 on a bowl of Jamie's soup, lifestyle. You are simply resorting to the sad Polly Toynbee school of political discussion.

:lol: What are you talking about, you've just reiterated my point you silly cunt. You didn't need it, other people do. That's what I said.

And yes, I am extremely fortunate to not have to be reliant on any of these schemes. But I'm very capable of seeing how it would be fucking brutal to have it taken away if you are.

Edited by Gemmill

Has anyone ever calculated the interest the govt. earns on all the tax they keep while they're waiting to process and pay out all the various tax credits? (I'm assuming this is how the system works, I don't receive them so I don't know).

But your employer should be doing that, not your fellow workers.

I'm not having a go at you, because your circumstances are different. But a couple both in full time employment shouldn't really be on welfare.

Has anyone ever calculated the interest the govt. earns on all the tax they keep while they're waiting to process and pay out all the various tax credits? (I'm assuming this is how the system works, I don't receive them so I don't know).

I haven't.

Aye, I calculated it last week. It was a few quid to be fair. :good:

This place, by the way.

You've people who think tax credits are a 'nice little something for nothing' and others who put grapes in the freezer to put in their chilled wine. :lol:

:lol: What are you talking about, you've just reiterated my point you silly cunt. You didn't need it, other people do. That's what I said.

And yes, I am extremely fortunate to not have to be reliant on any of these schemes. But I'm very capable of seeing how it would be fucking brutal to have it taken away if you are.

But the point your missing is that there would be NOTHING to take away if Labour had not created this monster in the first place.

Lots of people get Tax Credits that shouldn't and the same with child benefit.

Basically, we agree, you're just being a fanny.

(And yes I still have to change thee been that I've typed to being).

I can't really understand that last paragraph????

Do you have kids? If so you receive child benefit.

I will probably lose over a grand a year, but while I'd rather have it, most working class people I know have always considered tax credits as a nice little something for nothing.

It's a dependency that's been created and of course nobody wants it taken away, but I have no problem with the state been run within its means and welfare focussed on the really needy.

Not everyone with kids gets CB.

Have you answered the question how it is fair for me to get more money but someone in exactly the same situation except on a much lower wages gets a relatively massive cut?

As for your situation, it's weird how you are officially in poverty and yet have so much disposable income to spend on yourself (more than I have for certain). I would suggest you are simply lying to us, the tax man (obviously likely) or both.

Not everyone with kids gets CB.

Have you answered the question how it is fair for me to get more money but someone in exactly the same situation except on a much lower wages gets a relatively massive cut?

As for your situation, it's weird how you are officially in poverty and yet have so much disposable income to spend on yourself (more than I have for certain). I would suggest you are simply lying to us, the tax man (obviously likely) or both.

I've never bought a stained glass window

It's calculated off the average wage, hence in certain circumstances you don't need to be even remotely finding it hard to feed, cloth or heat yourself or your family to be officially classed as poor in this country.