Politics

Christmas Tree

There's a show on 5 right now called Benefits: Too Fat to Work. This one doesn't even try and hide the fact that it's ripping the piss out of the subject matter, the insult is right in the title. :lol:

I once got Tax Credits totally out of the blue. Which was cool - it was done automatically.

Cool till I got a £600 bill a year later. :lol:

As I said above CT, you're half way there on tax credits. It is businesses taking advantage of a well intentioned temporary measure for too long a period but you can't just drop them and leave poorly paid people in the shit without ensuring their pay goes up to compensate. It's clear the sums left people short so his much vaunted "rise" is clearly inadequate.

This sums it up really

B5228A39-CF67-4930-9D1C-7CE0B78FFF5A_zps

Voted Tory? Here's a negligible incentive

Are you poor? Here's a £2000 cut, good luck feeding your kids

Just seen the council tax cap has quietly been removed too. I already pay around 10% of my wage on council tax. Plus 20% income tax.

And national insurance. And 20% vat on everything else I buy.

Don't you just love being British

As an aside on that graphic, the self-employed bit is bollocks - contractors who work through a limited company have been massively screwed - this will encourage more to go down the full-on tax avoidance route involving Jimmy Carr type schemes.

As I said above CT, you're half way there on tax credits. It is businesses taking advantage of a well intentioned temporary measure for too long a period but you can't just drop them and leave poorly paid people in the shit without ensuring their pay goes up to compensate. It's clear the sums left people short so his much vaunted "rise" is clearly inadequate.

He said it would "soften" the blow. As it happens any increase in a living wage does nothing for me or probably most self employed.

The bottom line is this rebalance is right. As always there will be losers but the direction of travel is correct.

Turning this country into a place where the purpose of welfare is redefined as permanently subsiding people in work with a 10% wage boost because your other policies are failing to match wages with the cost of living is precisely where the whole system got fucked up.

It's hard not to see this situation as being one that was deliberately created by New Labour to keep whole sections of the country permanently voting for them in the belief that to vote for the 'nasty party' would see them out on the streets.

Old Labour would supposedly fix this by rebalancing the cost of living through massive interference in the economy, while traditional Tory values would supposedly rectify it through sheer market forces and by providing a true safety net welfare system. But neither are really an option for the electorate to choose between, because post Blair both parties have seen that the smoke and mirrors game of the middle ground where you take with one hand and give it back with the other, is a far more effective electoral strategy.

He said it would "soften" the blow. As it happens any increase in a living wage does nothing for me or probably most self employed.

The bottom line is this rebalance is right. As always there will be losers but the direction of travel is correct.

£2000 to someone on that level of income isn't "rebalance" - its destitution.

Old Labour would supposedly fix this by rebalancing the cost of living through massive interference in the economy, while traditional Tory values would supposedly rectify it through sheer market forces and by providing a true safety net welfare system. But neither are really an option for the electorate to choose between, because post Blair both parties have seen that the smoke and mirrors game of the middle ground where you take with one hand and give it back with the other, is a far more effective electoral strategy.

Market forces driven by cheap labour will increase living standards how exactly?

I'd also say the help to buy scheme was massive interference in the economy by the Tories.

Turning this country into a place where the purpose of welfare is redefined as permanently subsiding people in work with a 10% wage boost because your other policies are failing to match wages with the cost of living is precisely where the whole system got fucked up.

It's hard not to see this situation as being one that was deliberately created by New Labour to keep whole sections of the country permanently voting for them in the belief that to vote for the 'nasty party' would see them out on the streets.

They all moved manufacturing to the East in the 80's and early 90's and we're still dealing with the fallout from that. When Germany continued subsidizing her car industry and shipbuilding we let it go to wrack and ruin as well even tho we built some of the best cars and ships in the world...The political class oversaw that (both sides) and they got their peerages, directorships and places in the Lords in return. I honestly don't know what people expect from politics these days.

I am a 30 year old, single (not married) man.

Im confused, I will be £80 a month better off according to the calculator (ignoring my student loans) but if my landlord ups the rent (likely given tax restrictions) how is this bettering me personally? (It is all about No1 obviously).

My GF is self employed working for multinationals but under an umbrella corporation, how will this effect her tax situation?

I am also looking to buy a house here in Manchester but on the new build site 2 minutes walk from my place, the houses are all sold to and I quote "Buy to let, investors" how does this improve my personal position (No1 is No1) again?

There is no rebalance, its simply the rich looking after their own.

Market forces driven by cheap labour will increase living standards how exactly?

The same way they always have. The concept of 'cheap' labour is only a negative if market forces alone aren't enough to bring the cost of living more into line with wages, due to the various artificial effects imposed by all the things being discussed in here, most notably the horrendously distorted rental market.

I usually avoid this thread, and now I'm remembering why. I would say CT is despicable for having so little concern for his fellow man. However, I think we all know he doesn't actually believe what he is saying. He just wants some attention.