Politics

Christmas Tree

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Aside from her natural awkwardness and the fact that she should have been prepared for that question I think she did okay. She can't answer it honestly so rejects the premise of the question, it's a fair enough approach.

If that's the prime minister doing "okay", I'd hate to see her made to look like a total cunt. 

10 hours ago, Meenzer said:

:lol: Thus:

So glad we took back control of everything. :boogie:

Joking aside that's my big disappointment with Corbyn following on from his post-election position of strength. Seems to have gone back to invisible man mode as well.

Aye, I don't think this waiting game can go forever, we're running g out of time. I'll always dislike many of Corbyn's beliefs but his anti-EU stance is by far me biggest issue with him. He needs to realise that an isolationist approach is going to get him nowhere, bombardier proved that.

Who knows what's going to happen. I genuinely think as time runs out we are heading towards a national emergency. 

There’s nothing at all isolationist about Corbyn or Brexit.

The simplistic “having our cake and eating” position is without doubt the most beneficial economical position for this country. The only issue is how close to this position we can agree.

Wanting to continue as we are with regard to EU trade, security, euratom, education etc and wanting to open up more free markets around the world is anything but isolationism.

15 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

There’s nothing at all isolationist about Corbyn or Brexit.

The simplistic “having our cake and eating” position is without doubt the most beneficial economical position for this country. The only issue is how close to this position we can agree.

Wanting to continue as we are with regard to EU trade, security, euratom, education etc and wanting to open up more free markets around the world is anything but isolationism.

How many times do you need to be told the "having your cake and eating it" scenario is impossible? The EU haven't changed their stance on this and won't. Most if not all the hard Brexit politicians (BJ, Fox, JRM etc), in between howling at the moon, have accepted this. Meanwhile more moderate brexiters are crapping their pants (Hammond).

Tusk reaffirmed this the other day. He's always maintained that the options really are hard Brexit it no change (although I'd include diminished status as an EEA member in the latter). The question of which is about 50:50 in my eyes. Your scenario just doesn't register and there is not a shred of evidence to back it up.

As for isolationist, yes it fucking well is. Removing my European citizenship is by definition isolationist, and I fucking resent it. 

11 minutes ago, Park Life said:

We won't be leaving the EU in any meaningful way. They are just moving the pieces around till they can find a way to sell us being 'out' but 'in'.

I hope so but seriously concerned over this right wing coup in the Tory party and the continued evidence a large proportion of the public are CT like idiots who just won't get it before it's too late. 

I guess leaving the EU could be more liberal and less isolationist in theory but that only works if the EU and other trade agreements / organisations then cease to exist and everyone starts with a clean slate. Because that's on the cards.

Still think Corbyn can't move until it gets really bad. He'll come out in favour of the EU though, I suspect. If he doesn't then the party will be back in crisis mode.

He has to wait for the Tories to effectively say it can't be done. Maybe when May resigns.

Edited by Rayvin

Trump wants out of NAFTA (although probably isn't stupid enough to do it), widely seen as an extremely isolationist move, although presumably not to CT.

Makes me laugh, all these brexiters are internationalists who just want equal opportunities for Indians and Africans etc. No, most are racists who would balk into their cornflakes if they thought more "coloureds" were coming. 

22 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Hammond saying we should prepare for a "bad-tempered breakdown" of relations with the EU. 

Honestly, Cameron, Gove and Johnson should be publicly flogged for this shitshow, the smarmy cunts. 

Sounds to me a bit like they're hoping for a shit deal which can then be put up for a second referendum. All well and good until the fuckwits vote to accept it

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Something which won't happen isn't beneficial

As it’s the most beneficial economic outcome for both parties, I believe it will happen or be as near as possible to it.

I constantly here people on here talk about worst case scenarios and highlight the problem areas, but assuming a deal is agreed, which bits of the cake do they really think we won’t get?

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

As it’s the most beneficial economic outcome for both parties, I believe it will happen or be as near as possible to it.

I constantly here people on here talk about worst case scenarios and highlight the problem areas, but assuming a deal is agreed, which bits of the cake do they really think we won’t get?

Here, here

40 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

So far you have completely ignored all posts about why your scenario isn't even technically possible. It's almost like you don't understand how the EU and single market functions at a fundamental level.... 

But putting that aside, seriously, what grounds for optimism do you have that the negotiations are going well? Fucking hell, they aren't even going.

Hammond today has basically begged the EU to agree to the transition period before the separation deal, which we do desperately need as business confidence is haemorrhaging. He's another Tory who has shown himself to be an idiot by not even understanding the basic protocols of the EU.

The answer from Barnier will be "non" of course. Because the EU insists there can be no negotiations before the basics of citizen rights, NI, and money owed is adequately dealt with. They tell us this over and over again but it seems some don't want to listen. At some point, they will lose patience and catastrophe really will beckon. 

Edited by Renton

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

So far you have completely ignored all posts about why your scenario isn't even technically possible. It's almost like you don't understand how the EU and single market functions at a fundamental level.... 

But putting that aside, seriously, what grounds for optimism do you have that the negotiations are going well? Fucking hell, they aren't even going.

Hammond today has basically begged the EU to agree to the transition period before the separation deal, which we do desperately need as business confidence is haemorrhaging. He's another Tory who has shown himself to be an idiot by not even understanding the basic protocols of the EU.

The answer from Barnier will be "non" of course. Because the EU insists there can be no negotiations before the basics of citizen rights, NI, and money owed is adequately dealt with. They tell us this over and over again but it seems some don't want to listen. At some point, they will lose patience and catastrophe really will beckon. 

It was a simple question which you didn’t answer?