Politics

Christmas Tree

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

What is the big deal about the Huawei leak?

Not so much the content, but more the source - from a NSM. Honestly he should go to prison. 

20 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

What is an NSM? N Senior Minister?

And damn, prison huh. Staggering incompetence once again.

National Security Meeting. You know, the type where all the folders have TOP SECRET stamped on them in red. You can bet a civil servant would have been arrested by now. 

Has he been stitched up, as he claims? I wonder. Not sure about swearing on his children's lives btw. Obviously a meaningless remark in this day and age but still. 

Immediately after the meeting, he spent 11 minutes on the phone to the reporter who broke the story. Now that's either an amazing coincidence or he's full of shit.

I've just realised that you lot use FPTP for local elections too. That's a bit weird.

Edit: Actually I don't understand how it works. Can someone explain?

Edited by ewerk

24 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Immediately after the meeting, he spent 11 minutes on the phone to the reporter who broke the story. Now that's either an amazing coincidence or he's full of shit.

I mean yeah, that seems pretty damning. Doesn't necessarily make it true though.. has the reporter advised it was Williamson? Presumably he will have to testify in a criminal case, so we would know in the end.

19 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I mean yeah, that seems pretty damning. Doesn't necessarily make it true though.. has the reporter advised it was Williamson? Presumably he will have to testify in a criminal case, so we would know in the end.

No journalist worth their salt will give up their source.

28 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

We vote and the one with most votes wins. :dunno: 

Yeah but take North Tyneside as an example. There’s 60 councillors but only 20 wards?

28 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

We vote and the one with most votes wins. :dunno: 

And, in the case of a dead heat, which is quite common in local elections, you toss a coin. 

Just now, ewerk said:

Yeah but take North Tyneside as an example. There’s 60 councillors but only 20 wards?

Each ward has 3 councillors, with 1 being contested at each local election. Local elections are more frequent than GEs or Euro elections, although for convenience often coincide with these. 

Ah, got you. What Renton said, then. Although some councils (like the London ones) elect all three councillors at once, so you only get local elections every four years but you have three votes. Seems daft to me, other than cutting down on election costs I suppose, but then I grew up with the other system so I suppose I would think that.

10 minutes ago, ewerk said:

So London doesn’t used FPTP? This all seems unnecessarily complicated.

Erm no, it does, it's just there may be multiple candidates for multiple positions. Not really complicated at all. 

45 minutes ago, Renton said:

Erm no, it does, it's just there may be multiple candidates for multiple positions. Not really complicated at all. 

A councillor is a councillor surely? If it's FPTP then how does that work? Someone show me a ballot ffs.

There are three vacancies.

You have three votes.

Each of the main parties typically puts up three candidates.

The three candidates that get the most votes are elected as the three councillors.

In this way, the three vacancies are filled.

Three. It's a funny word when you look at it for long enough, isn't it? Three.