Politics

Christmas Tree

Thinking about it, Labour seem to care more about losing the ignorant racist vote than the considered progressive vote. Once again, fuck them. I'm done. 

• Like 1

Turns out enabling the Tories gets you a kicking at the ballot box. They could have asked the Lib Dems about that one... :dunno: 

In cheerier news, there's this:

Look at this. Remember the bollocks about how 80% of people voted for a Brexit supporting party meant that the vast majority of people wanted Brexit? Now it turns out if we vote for an unambiguously Remain party that means it's a protest vote against the main parties, not that we support Remain! That's according to the completely unbiased viewpoint of the head political analyst at the BBC. Ffs. 

Sir John Curtice, the BBC’s lead election analyst, told the Today programme that his analysis suggested the Lib Dem surge was not being driven by support for a second referendum. He explained:

The Liberal Democrats used to be the traditional party of protest. And then they went into coalition with the Conservatives and they rather lost that mantle.

It looks as though they are beginning to recover that mantle, particularly in areas where until recently they had quite a lot of strength.

But when you actually look, is there any evidence that the Liberal Democrats are doing better in remain areas than in leave areas? The truth is that the evidence seems to be lacking.

So it seems easier to interpret this as evidence of Liberal Democrats recovering from the coalition, being the party of protest, and that’s the basis of their success, rather than necessarily a rush of enthusiasm for the idea of a second EU referendum.

22 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Turns out enabling the Tories gets you a kicking at the ballot box. They could have asked the Lib Dems about that one... :dunno: 

In cheerier news, there's this:

BG comin' attya with the hottest Christian Country record of 2002.

It definitely feels like there's a degree of brand detoxification/"least worst" thinking going on, but it should also be a lot easier for Labour to hang on to voters like that.

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It couldn't possibly be a bit of both?

Aye, but a vote for LD is most definitely a vote for Remain or PV. Curtice has simply dismissed this obvious fact. 

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Fucking hell, Sunderland.

Apparently this was quite predictable as one of the labour lot got done for laptop rascalry. 

Sunderland is a strange place.

Lass on my Twitter blaming Blairism for loss of labour votes.

Pretty desperate stuff, can’t they just say that perhaps labour have made a mess of it? 

Its pretty fucking obvious what Labours losses yesterday were about and I’d wager it’s more to do with the current shitshow than what Tony Blair was up to 20 years ago.

Brexit should have been an open goal for labour but rather than tapping the ball in they’ve sat there with their fingers up their arses.

Any form of labour so called “intelligentsia” are desperate to get away from the reality of the situation.

Liam Young saying “there’s no appetite for a second referendum” ffs. If that’s what you take from the incoming results there’s really no helping you.

• Like 1

Agree. Unbelievable that anyone can look at these results and choose to ignore the reality. Admittedly it's a tough position because the fuckheads would have to admit the country is now fully split on this and there isn't any coming back together. But you'd still expect the bravery to at least call it what it is.

I guess onto the Euro Elections now where we will see a similar result for the main parties with a perhaps more obvious split, and watch as they continue to do fuck all in responding to it.

Bridget seems to get it. I do admire her bravery considering the constituency she represents. 

Council elections are always about local issues but Brexit was the elephant in the room and no one can deny it played a key part in Labour’s disappointing performance last night.

In my city of Sunderland, there was a big swing against us to the Liberal Democrats and the Greens.

Too often places that voted for Brexit back in 2016 like Sunderland get caricatured by the media as if everyone voted leave. But the majority of Labour voters now want a people’s vote on Brexit and would vote to stay in the EU given the chance.

I fear Labour’s position has been too hesitant and lacking in clarity over the past few months, depressing support among our voters at a time when they expect strength and leadership from my party rather than fudge.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Isn’t she also vocal in her dislike of Corbyn? 

She's certainly no Corbynite, although too savvy to slag him directly. She's getting quite a lot of media attention at the moment, I can see her being more than a backbencher going forward if Labour ever recovers from this Corbyn disaster. Not that there is much competition like. 

She's just said "the voters were giving a “simple message” to the Conservatives and Labour: “Just get on and deliver Brexit.”" 

Astounding. There appears to be an increasing threat that May and Corbyn between them will cobble together some shit deal with permanent CU as part of the political declaration. Who the fuck is going to be happy with that? 

And this just now from Corbyn:

Even at this stage of the results, we have won Trafford council and are making gains across the country, including Tory heartlands. Throughout the campaign, we have been putting forward our vision of a better society, and the need to end the austerity imposed on our communities by the Conservatives, along with the Liberal Democrats when they were in the coalition government.

Cloud fucking Cuckooland :lol:

3 hours ago, Renton said:

Aye, but a vote for LD is most definitely a vote for Remain or PV. Curtice has simply dismissed this obvious fact. 

There seems to be a belief that everyone in Leave seats are automatically all leave voters. These constituencies are generally as split as the country.

• Like 1

At this stage, let the silly cunt come up with a deal with her. It'll be the end of Labour at the next election and they'll have to move on from that useless cunt. 

Could the Tories be on track for 1,000 lost seats here btw? They're down almost 700 with about 40% of results undeclared. 

Tweet from baldrick. (Haven't worked out how to embed these yet ^_^

I’ve left the Labour Party after nearly 45 years of service at Branch, Constituency and NEC levels,partly because of it’s continued duplicity on Brexit, partly because of it’s antisemitism, but also because its leadership is complete shit.

Exactly how I feel. 

• Like 2

Corbyn, the tory facilitator, has virtually said exactly what May said earlier today. I'd be quite happy at this point for both these parties to cease to exist. 

I think it means there’s a huge impetus on every MP, and they’ve all got that message, whether they themselves are leave or remain, or the people across the country, that an arrangement has to be made, a deal has to be done, parliament has to resolve this issue - I think that is very, very clear.