Politics

Christmas Tree

Merton and Hislop made it ok to laugh along with him. There’s no way one of the most liberal cities in the world would have voted for a old Etonian Tory as mayor otherwise

Edited by Dr Gloom

But they weren’t though, they were laughing at him.

It gave him the celebrity to go on and do what he did but that was unprecedented. Before that he’d have been laughed out of high office.

Half agree with Gloomy here- hignfy is absolutely where the “likeable buffoon” persona originated, but I can’t lay the blame at their doorstep for his subsequent, inexplicable, rise to  power. 
That’s wholly on whichever muppets voted for the cunt, as mayor, PM, etc. 
There’s been ample evidence of his utter unsuitability for office since then, and multiple examples and opportunities to see him for the scum he is. 

• Like 1

Thought I'd put the Brexit thing on for a laugh and fuck me Widdecombe is an unlistenable old windbag. They've got some other horrible bint on now. 

All I want to know is what cunt face Farage says about how many seats they're running in. 

I know we’re all shitting it. If Cummings pulls this off, the country is going down the toilet for generations to come. But I am cautiously optimistic.

Hopefully Farage goes aggressive in this election. I don’t expect the Brexit party to win many, if any, seats. But they could royally fuck things up for Boris by splitting the leave vote in some key marginals.  

The Tories are going to lose up to 13 seats in Scotland and possibly around another 20 or so to the Lib Dems. It’s a massive gamble by Johnson - they’re relying on the whole election being fought on a single issue. I’m not sure it’s enough to persuade the number of life-long labour voters they need to suddenly vote Tory. 

Also, they’ve had 10 years. Labour are going to say as little about Brexit as they can get away with, campaigning on a radical domestic agenda, (a lot of which speaks to ordinary people) positioning themselves as the party of hope and change. 

We should also probably ignore the national polls. My prediction: a hung parliament, Tories with the most seats but unable to form a coalition after they threw their final willing partners under the bus. A Labour/SNP coalition government, (on the condition of Indy ref 2), propped up by the Lib Dems on the condition of a soft Brexit v remain confirmatory referendum. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 2

Farage has announced that if Johnson ditches his deal then he'll form a pact with the Tories. And that if individual tories renounce the deal, they'll stand down in those constituencies. 

Otherwise they'll run everywhere. 

So they'll be running everywhere. 

He's claiming Johnson's deal isn't Brexit, so there'll be no pact on that deal. 

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

@Dr Gloom where are the lib Dems taking 20 Tory seats? You're assuming all the Tory defectors will get re elected? 🤔

Tories are hugely vulnerable in remain voting areas in the south and in london (barnet, richmond, golders green (who will obvs never vote for corbyn), kensington , putney etc

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

20 might have been a bit of a bold call for the lib dems, but johnson's still going to need to win a huge number of seats, to counter losing others because of his brexit position. i just don't see him getting a majority, or being able to form a coalition after he stitched up the DUP.

how can swinson support johnson in government after doubling down on revoke? i think she's saying she could never support corbyn now because she knows it's a vote loser in the seats she's fighting the tories for.  there are sets in london and the south - st albans, cheltenham etc - that the tories have pretty much given up on. their strategy is to win a majority by taking the 'workington man' seats from labour. it's a massive gamble. even with brexit as a disruptive force, will people who have hated the tories all their lives really change sides? 

also, there are going to be loads of seats with three to four parties going up against each other, in which a vote share of around 30% or so be enough, so the national polls are largely irrelevant. 

49 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Farage has announced that if Johnson ditches his deal then he'll form a pact with the Tories. And that if individual tories renounce the deal, they'll stand down in those constituencies. 

Obviously I'm not one to blow my own trumpet but I called it correctly yesterday. No matter what Brexit is on offer Farage and his mates will always want a more extreme version they know they're never going to get in order to maintain the outrage and anger from his followers. It's all about self-preservation and relevance for him. If Johnson offered no deal then Farage would be saying that wasn't Brexit and would demand we send troops to storm the beaches at Normandy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

This is good news and tbh does indeed swing me over to thinking that Farage doesn't care so much about getting Brexit as he does about getting attention.

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

20 might have been a bit of a bold call for the lib dems, but johnson's still going to need to win a huge number of seats, to counter losing others because of his brexit position. i just don't see him getting a majority, or being able to form a coalition after he stitched up the DUP.

how can swinson support johnson in government after doubling down on revoke? i think she's saying she could never support corbyn now because she knows it's a vote loser in the seats she's fighting the tories for.  there are sets in london and the south - st albans, cheltenham etc - that the tories have pretty much given up on. their strategy is to win a majority by taking the 'workington man' seats from labour. it's a massive gamble. even with brexit as a disruptive force, will people who have hated the tories all their lives really change sides? 

also, there are going to be loads of seats with three to four parties going up against each other, in which a vote share of around 30% or so be enough, so the national polls are largely irrelevant. 

Of the 60 seats the LDs are targeting, 47 are Tory. It's clear which way the guns are facing from their side. I don't think 20 seats is too out there.

And yes, the idea that the LDs are coming out as more right wing to appeal to Tory marginal voters is my view also. It makes perfect sense really.

49 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Obviously I'm not one to blow my own trumpet but I called it correctly yesterday. No matter what Brexit is on offer Farage and his mates will always want a more extreme version they know they're never going to get in order to maintain the outrage and anger from his followers. It's all about self-preservation and relevance for him. If Johnson offered no deal then Farage would be saying that wasn't Brexit and would demand we send troops to storm the beaches at Normandy.

It does seem so. 

This, plus Trump's intervention yesterday, is very bad news for Johnson. It's almost like... he's fucked up big time.

I wish to draw attention to this cutting insight from the Daily Mail comment section so that we can get a flavour of the discourse on the other side - 2000 upvotes so far, 3rd most popular comment:

I will be voting for THE BrEXIT PARTY no matter what. ..... In all my many years, I have never voted Conservative, and I refuse to start now. ..... Boris's deal is an EU written TREATY which is BRINO and not one bit is BrEXIT, so it is effectively Remain. ..... Labour and SNP are both Remain. ..... Swinson and her Lib-Dumbs are Revoke A50 and Remain. ..... This means THE BrEXIT PARTY is the only one worth voting for.

• Jaysus... 1

48 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Of the 60 seats the LDs are targeting, 47 are Tory. It's clear which way the guns are facing from their side. I don't think 20 seats is too out there.

And yes, the idea that the LDs are coming out as more right wing to appeal to Tory marginal voters is my view also. It makes perfect sense really.

If it’s another hung parliament, the only coalition capable of governing will consist of stop Brexit/soft Brexit parties. The Tories haven’t got any friends left. 

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

If it’s another hung parliament, the only coalition capable of governing will consist of stop Brexit/soft Brexit parties. The Tories haven’t got any friends left. 

Indeed.

The biggest threat all the way through this was that he'd actually get a deal through. Now that looks to be dead. I think from here it'll be close, but we can win it. If the Remain parties for once, finally, play this right. And frankly, I think Labour are on a good footing in not making this all about Brexit, and for having what looks to be a conciliatory stance on the matter.