What supplements do you swear by?

Park Life

99% of their use is a load of shit like.

What does the Department of Health advise?

You should be able to get all the vitamin A you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take a supplement that contains vitamin A, do not take too much because this could be harmful.

You should be able to get all the thiamin you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take supplements, do not take too much because this might be harmful.

You should be able to get all the riboflavin you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take supplements, do not take too much because this might be harmful.

You should be able to get the amount of niacin you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take niacin supplements, do not take too much because this might be harmful.

You should be able to get all the pantothenic acid you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take supplements, do not take too much as this might be harmful.

You should be able to get the vitamin B6 you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take vitamin B6 supplements, do not take too much because this could be harmful.

The Department of Health recommends that folic acid supplements are taken by women who are pregnant or thinking of having a baby.

Women who are not pregnant or planning for a baby should be able to get all the folate they need by eating a varied and balanced diet.

If you are taking folic acid supplements, it is important not to take too much because this could be harmful.

You should be able to get all the vitamin B12 you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take vitamin B12 supplements, do not take too much because this could be harmful.

You should be able to get all the vitamin C you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take vitamin C supplements, do not take too much because this could be harmful.

all pregnant and breastfeeding women should take a daily supplement containing 10 micrograms (0.01mg) of vitamin D to ensure the mother's requirements for vitamin D are met and to build adequate foetal stores for early infancy

all babies and young children aged six months to five years should take a daily supplement containing vitamin D in the form of vitamin drops to help them meet the requirement set for this age group of 7-8.5 micrograms (0.007-0.0085mg) of vitamin D a day

babies fed infant formula will not need vitamin drops until they are receiving less than 500ml (about a pint) of infant formula a day, as these products are fortified with vitamin D

breastfed infants may need to receive drops containing vitamin D from one month of age if their mother has not taken vitamin D supplements throughout pregnancy

people aged 65 years and over and people not exposed to much sun should also take a daily supplement containing 10 micrograms (0.01mg) of vitamin D

If you take vitamin D supplements, do not take more than 25 micrograms (0.025mg) a day, as it could be harmful.

You should be able to get the amount of vitamin E you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take vitamin E supplements, do not take too much.

You should be able to get all the vitamin K you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take vitamin K supplements, do not take too much because this might be harmful.

You should be able to get all the calcium you need by eating a varied and balanced diet.

If you take calcium supplements, do not take too much

You should be able to get all the iodine you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take iodine supplements, do not take too much because this could be harmful.

Most people should be able to get all the iron they need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take iron supplements, do not take too much because this could be harmful.

You should be able to get the amount of beta-carotene you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you decide to take beta-carotene supplements, it is important not to take too much because this could be harmful.

You should be able to get all the boron you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take supplements containing boron, do not take too much as this could be harmful.

You should be able to get all the chromium you need by eating a varied and balanced diet.

If you take chromium supplements, do not take too much because this might be harmful.

Having too much cobalt could be harmful. However, cobalt is currently not used in supplements in the UK and the amount we get from food is not harmful.

You should be able to get all the copper you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take copper supplements, do not take too much because this could be harmful.

You should be able to get all the magnesium you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take magnesium supplements, do not take too much because this could be harmful.

You should be able to get all the manganese you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take manganese supplements, do not take too much as this could be harmful.

You should be able to get all the molybdenum you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. The molybdenum we get from food is not likely to be harmful.

etc,

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Other-vitamins-minerals.aspx

he global vitamin and supplement market is worth $68 billion according to research from Euromonitor.

http://www.reportlinker.com/ci02037/Vitamin-and-Supplement.html

Unless you're a pregnant woman or small child there's little reason for them.

I dont take and wouldnt advocate multi-vits. For one, you dont actually absorb the whole thing anyway. Getting anything from real food is ALWAYS the better option.

However, I refer back to my point about Creatine supplementation. That has multiple benefits. Fish oils (if you dont have enough in your diet) is also deeply researched and well worth supplementing.

Also consider, very few people eat a varied and healthy balanced diet, most people eay waaaaay too many processed carbs, corn syrup & trans fats. ;)

In terms of whether they actually improve your feeling of well being/recovery time/whatever your taking your stuff for, I'd imagine there must be someone somewhere who's done some placebo trials on multivits etc?

I'd be interested to see what people have found. Not interested enough to google it myself mind...

In terms of whether they actually improve your feeling of well being/recovery time/whatever your taking your stuff for, I'd imagine there must be someone somewhere who's done some placebo trials on multivits etc?

I'd be interested to see what people have found. Not interested enough to google it myself mind...

There's very little good quality research as there's little money to be made. From memory, high dose vitamin C does very little. There was one megatrial on another so called 'anti-oxidant' vitamin, vitamin E. At the time it was thought to be cardioprotective, but it turns out it definitely kills you, so there's a warning.

It's mainly bollocks and a clear example of logical fallacy, believing huge doses of vitamins or minerals which are needed in food at low doses will be beneficial. Also you need to be aware of interactions etc.

I haven't lost an arm wrestling match since I started taking Beroca. I will go over the top on anyone who tries to tell me that that's a coincidence.

Can't abide the taste of Berocca but I've started putting it in my water bottle when I go to Zumba. I'm that desperate for the fluid that I barely notice the taste :lol:

Never tried it. I generally only go for stuff that has been researched and trailed in correct conditions numerous times. I'm sure there's something about some vit/mins needing fat for the body to absorb them.

Also reading a lot lately about sugar and it connecting to cancer (as every fucking thing else!). I have a fairly low sugar intake daily like. 59g today which is high for me and 33g yesterday.

It's pretty scandalous that supplements are unregulated like. The amount of fat burners on the go that are generally bollocks but sell due to people's need for a quick fix.

Good tip, didn't know about that.

There is a lot of data in the use of VitD against depression...So something must be working. ;)

If it works for you in that respect then at the end of the day that is all that matters really. Recent studies have shown that calcium absorption isn't enhanced by taking these kinds of supplements. For me, that is a concern as I don't have much of a calcium intake to begin with (I don't drink cream milk or eat sardine bones or any fish bones for that matter), most of my calcium is derived from consuming kale - so I need to make it count by ensuring my body absorbs as much of it as possible. UV inflicted mushies are the best source.

At the end of the day like everything though, any supplement needs to be met with a half-decent nutritienal diet to be beneficial.

I like examine.com, its useful to see if "claims" are based on only a dozen tests or are legitimate studies based on thousands. Naturally the vast majority simply are not understood enough and research continues and new findings are constantly revealing things about the body that weren't understood fully.