• 3 months later...
  • Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

::Simon Bird::

Newcastle have banked £78million from selling star players in the last five years.

That could soon rise to more than £100million if their latest assets, attracting interest from Champions' League clubs, are cashed in.

In January the futures of Ayoze Perez , Daryl Janmaat and Moussa Sissoko may be dependant on the size of cheques being waved in United's direction.

The elusive playing style of Perez, especially, has caught the eye of Spurs and Manchester United have compiled files on his performances.

But there is a question this trio might like to ask themselves, before chasing lucrative new employment.

Would a move signal a career on the up? Or is the trade off for a good pay-day becoming a bit part, frequently forgotten, part-time star... as recent departures from Tyneside have discovered.

Newcastle under Mike Ashley have been clever sellers, exploiting the elite for high prices, and vast profits.

It is the buy-low, sell-high model that means the clubs runs at a profit, and no longer requires subsidy from the Sports Direct tycoon's personal fortune.

Liverpool (x2) Chelsea, PSG and Arsenal are among the top clubs who Newcastle have extracted top money from, especially in the premium January market.

Of course the players themselves have done well out of the springboard Newcastle have provided pocketing vast pay rises, earning up to £5m a season on their new deals.

But remarkably few, if any, can be considered a success once they've traded star player status at St James' Park, for the top of the game.

Andy Carroll, for whom Newcastle banked an amazing £35m for from Liverpool, is still searching for full fitness and consistency at West Ham.

Jose Enrique excelled at Newcastle, but not at Anfield.

Demba Ba chose to take big money wages and join Chelsea after a stunning 29 goals in 54 games for Newcastle.

At Chelsea he fell in behind Fernando Torres and Samuel Eto'o, and spent his second season virtually on the sidelines before being sold to Besiktas. He's now in the Chinese Super League with Shanghai Shenhua.

Yohan Cabaye, another pivotal player was sold for (an undervalued) £19m to PSG, flirted with the Champions' League and won a cup.

But 18 months later he was on a downer and joined Crystal Palace to revive his international prospects.

Loic Remy had a stunning season at Newcastle on loan from QPR and could have joined permanently.

Instead he chose Chelsea, and is largely a support striker, albeit with a title medal, soldiering on in the shadow of Diego Costa.

Mathieu Debuchy now finds himself in second choice at Arsenal behind Hector Bellarin when he is fit.

Is there a lesson in all this for Newcastle and their better players?

Perhaps, instead of being a selling club, which acts as a platform to earn a transfer to the elite, Newcastle could hold on to the next big star they develop.

Instead of cashing in on Perez, for he is certainly their most pickable asset, they might offer him a new deal and the chance to be a hero in reviving the club, rather than another passing high value asset.

Bigger wages, the lure of the Champions' League, or the sparkle of a European giant, will usually overcome any emotional pull of being a terrace hero on Tyneside.

But if Steve McClaren is to build a team over the next three transfer windows, that included holding off the sales.

Instead of having a good season out of Perez, or a couple out of Janmaat, get three years and more.

Develop Aleksandar Mitrovic and yes by all means sell him for £40m and reinvest. But get a good few years out of his talents first.

The same for Gini Wijnaldum, and Chancel Mbemba, whose reputations will be enhanced in the coming years.

McClaren needs time to build on the flickers of decent football his side show, get out of relegation trouble, and push on.

That means buying, not selling, in January. And convincing some players that given the past history of players sold, and their lack of real success, Newcastle could be a better bet long term.

That is a tough argument to players who are, more than ever, mercenaries who have no loyalty to a club beyond their contracts.

But it is a pitch worth making if Newcastle are to be anything more than Premier League also-rans, or even relegation candidates.

Aye but none of the players who left thought considered that they wouldn't be a success at the other clubs.

They all thought they were going to start for and win trophies with PSG, Liverpool, Chelsea or whomever.

They all left for significantly higher wages irrespective of their other motives.

Not sure why but I immediately expect that to be have been more deciding a factor for Ba or Remy, than for Carroll, Debuchy, Enrique or Cabaye.

Probably just my bias; I want the latter group to have moved for more... noble(?) reasons?

Why would any of them stay? :lol:

The club actively wants to 'trade' players at a profit and do not want to risk profit by buying players past a certain age, fuck me, they won't even risk asking for more tickets at aways in case they're left with a few unsold tickets. The players can get a pay rise and a chance at an ambitious club and see if they can make it. If it works out then great for them, if it doesn't they'll just end up at a similar club to NUFC are under the current owner.

Edited by Howmanheyman

Aye, exactly. I wasn't having a pop. Who wouldn't leave under the circumstances. It's basically the only way we can attract the likes of Wijnaldum anyway, i.e. by saying it's a chance to move to a bigger, better club.

Not sure why but I immediately expect that to be have been more deciding a factor for Ba or Remy, than for Carroll, Debuchy, Enrique or Cabaye.

Probably just my bias; I want the latter group to have moved for more... noble(?) reasons?

Probably just your racist subconscious.

Probably just your racist subconscious.

:lol:

Maybe.

in all honesty, I think Carroll was pretty much pushed to the door he then jumped out of, Enrique orchestrated his exit, but the other two are just as mercenary as Ba and Remy

• 3 months later...

2nd September 2015

'A new chapter'

A message from the Boardroom

We have set Steve a target of a top-eight finish and to win a trophy. Everyone at the club is driving hard towards that goal. However, all of this rebuilding and reshaping isn’t something that can happen overnight; it will take time.

I have complete faith that what he and his team are implementing will give us the best possible chance of success as a club and I would ask that you give Steve and his team, your team, all your support while we strive to deliver this reshaped vision.

Often our mistake has been that we’ve not communicated well enough with you and I assure you going forward, this is something we will do better.

I hope you can see from activities such as the pre-season open/family day, the emails like mine that are now being sent directly to your inbox, and with a fresh focus on engaging with you far better on social media, we are showing we have a desire to connect with you.

25th September 2015

Lee Charnley

We are taking collective action

We made a pledge to communicate more effectively with you and when we did so, we were aware this must be the case through thick and thin, in the bad times as well as the good. That is why it is important I write to you now, when things are tough and many of you will be feeling frustrated with recent results.

You deserve to know what we are thinking and what we are doing to address our current situation, to arrest this poor run of form and turn things around for our club.

There is no hiding from the fact that this has been a very disappointing start to our Premier League campaign, and a painful early exit from a cup competition that we were determined to give everything in this year. We apologise to you for this.

After six league games the truth is we have not achieved the points that any of us had hoped and expected we would do.

None of us can, or will, shirk the responsibility for this situation. Now is the time for collective action, and for us to find solutions to the problems rather than allow ourselves to be consumed by them.

It is important to state that we bear collective responsibility for our position in the table. Identifying the problems in order to find the solutions is crucial, but we are not in the business of apportioning blame. We are a team, from the boardroom to the boot room, and we will respond like one.

So we have sat down as a collective – myself with Steve and his coaching team, and Steve with his players – to discuss the concerns and to look for the solutions together.

Whilst we are all unhappy, we must not panic or make rash decisions. We should not forget we are still relatively early into the season with lots of games to go and points to play for. Whilst you may be tired of hearing this, I believe, as we have said from the start, all of this rebuilding and reshaping isn’t something that can happen overnight; it will take time to see the benefit of the changes we made during the summer.

I will repeat what I have said on a number of occasions before - I have complete faith that what Steve and his team are implementing will give us the best possible chance of success as a club.

We firmly believe there is the quality we need within this group of players, however we all know that what has to improve are the results, which will then breed belief and confidence. As you would expect, Steve and his staff are working very hard both collectively and individually to reproduce and improve on all the qualities we saw in the performances against Southampton, Manchester United and Arsenal.

We recognise that you will be frustrated and of course, as people who invest heavily – financially and emotionally – in this club, you have the right to express your dissatisfaction at the results, as you have done on recent matchdays. We deserved that criticism and reaction. But you can also play a huge part in helping the players to fight their way out of our current predicament.

We regularly talk about the importance of confidence and the momentum that a single victory can bear in turning around the fortunes of a team. To turn things around our players need to be brave – brave on the ball, demand the ball, and attack with courage and conviction, without fear. I hope those of you attending on Saturday, and at future games, home or away, will really get behind the team and help give them the confidence to play and express themselves the way we know they can.

We don’t have the time nor the inclination to feel sorry for ourselves. That would not serve us well. We are all in this together and we will get out of it together as a team. We view you, our supporters, as an important part of that team. Now is the time to show determination, resilience and fight and together, over the coming weeks, change the course of this season for the better.

Thank you for your support.

Lee Charnley

Managing Director

10th December 2015

We want to fill St. James’ Park to capacity and recreate that atmosphere for every home game. With that in mind, I am delighted to announce, for a limited time only, the release of half-season tickets for under-18s priced at just £25 in the Family Area, £50 in category 2 & 3 seating and £75 in category 1 seating.

I sincerely hope that you will join us all at St. James' Park. I would welcome you to take a closer look here. Tickets can be bought online, over the phone and in person. We’ll be opening our matchday box office tomorrow & Saturday so supporters can buy their tickets in person from St James’ Park, direct from our expert team.

Thank you for your support.

Lee Charnley

Since then - absolutely fuck all.

What a cunt.

He's clearly someone who's been promoted to a position so far in excess of his ability that he has absolutely no clue what to do next. Ashley has to take the decision out of his hands.

Somebody with absolutely no clue what to do next to take the decision out of the hands of somebody with absolutely no clue what to do next, then.

If we don't sack him now we might as well just raise the white flag now. Are we going to wait until we get howked off Leicester then do it? It's ridiculous he wasn't fired a while ago

Somebody with absolutely no clue what to do next to take the decision out of the hands of somebody with absolutely no clue what to do next, then.

Ashley is at least someone with some sort of business sense. I can't believe his business instincts having kicking in by now. Charnley seems to be someone who you wouldn't put in charge of organising a christmas party let alone run a multi milion pound company.

I think at least with Ashley he's more likely to make the decision to get rid of the manager. Charnley's probably hiding in his office hoping he's going to wake up in a minute and it's all been a bad dream

'Have you got the crackers yet Lee?'

'The crackers, oh yes we need to sit down and collectively talk about the crackers. We need to make sure everyone is pulling in the same direction.'